Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Exs At Christmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a bit of a rant...every Christmas my ex's seem to reappear, some from perhaps just a year ago or so and others from years ago! I wish they would just leave me alone, but it seems whenever they are alone and especially at Christmas they contact me. It would be different if I was still close friends with them, but I am not. Being me I always feel obliged to say something back just to be polite. Maybe I should just tell them to fuck off though, but then I would seem like Scrooge.

Comments

• Options
    Tell them to f off. You'll be doing them and yourself a favour. :)

On a similar note, I've found that this is the time of year when a lot of couples seem to split up. Maybe it's the whole new year, new start thing? It didn't happen last year but was often the case throughout uni.
  • Options
    Probably right. Yeah think a lot of people cling onto long distance relationships at the start of uni, but can't be bothered anymore by the time Christmas rolls up. I could never be asked in the first place, wouldn't even try one.
  • Options
    my ex rang me new years eve and i was high on everything and nearly got me thinking about him again. luckily when everything had worn off i still thought he was a twat and didnt want him
  • Options
    Your not my ex are you ?? :nervous: I sent her an email today :lol:
  • Options
    Hmmm...bloody attention seekers thats what I'm thinking.
  • Options
    nah we are actually good friends...so sending her an email is normal for me...just thought it was funny reading this topic after just mailing her. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I can picture myself drunk at Christmas being nostalgic and texting my ex. MUST hide phone to avoid this happening. I deleted his number ages ago but I still know it off by heart.

Don't feel angry. Or just change your number.
  • Options
    Out of the blue a month or so a go an ex rang me up who i went out with about 3/4 years ago now! He then came to my work and then sent me a letter asking if we could be friends! I never replied but still was all a bit weird!
  • Options
    Exes always crawl out of the woodwork at times like Christmas when they miss coupledom, I think it's fairly standard.

The thing I don't like about Christmas is that it's the only time of year I always bump into every single ex out on the town, usually on the same night. It's like running the gauntlet of ghosts of Christmas past :p
  • Options
    You either live in a very small place or you have a high number of exes! I have only ever once bumped into an ex but there's about a million bars and clubs in town so the odds are quite low.
  • Options
    God if I go out in Derby I'm bound to bump into atleast one conquest....it can be funny or shameful....depending if that's the first time I've seen their face without beer goggles!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Exes always crawl out of the woodwork at times like Christmas when they miss coupledom, I think it's fairly standard.

The thing I don't like about Christmas is that it's the only time of year I always bump into every single ex out on the town, usually on the same night. It's like running the gauntlet of ghosts of Christmas past :p

Highly bad luck! Lucky I live in a large place. Last year...bumped into two out of the blue on the same day within about two hours, hadn't seen them in years. We blatently saw eachother, exchanged a few odd glances then proceeded to ignore eachother.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Out of the blue a month or so a go an ex rang me up who i went out with about 3/4 years ago now! He then came to my work and then sent me a letter asking if we could be friends! I never replied but still was all a bit weird!

Very scary! :eek: Not surprised you didn't say anything.
  • Options
    Fairy wrote:
    Very scary! :eek: Not surprised you didn't say anything.

Well i didn't reply due to the fact that i have a boyfriend and i don't think it's right to be friends with ex's when it comes to present relationships, plus the bastard cheated on me twice!!
  • Options
    Fairy wrote:
    Highly bad luck! Lucky I live in a large place. Last year...bumped into two out of the blue on the same day within about two hours, hadn't seen them in years. We blatently saw eachother, exchanged a few odd glances then proceeded to ignore eachother.

It's less bad luck and more the fact that we still all frequent the same nightclub. I have no intentions of going elsewhere just because some dafty I used to go out with will be there and I can only assume they think the exact same thing, so it's all a bit inevitable.

Sure it can be a bit awkward but I almost think of it now as part of the Christmas tradition... and they always get the drinks in! :thumb:
  • Options
    I tend to see my exes around Christmas because I've stayed mates with most of them.

Just be civil with them, it's not nice to burn bridges.
  • Options
    You lot are lucky, I see 5-10 conquests every week hehe.
    I will shag about in my local boozers though, I don't mind it though because I still speak to them all and get on well with them all, it was known from the off it was only fun so I suppose there not even real exes. Seeing real exes where feelings are involved can be hard.

I text one of my exes the other week, hehe, and yes it was cos I was feeling lonely and it does make you think when xmas is about.
  • Options
    Tell them to f off. You'll be doing them and yourself a favour. :)

On a similar note, I've found that this is the time of year when a lot of couples seem to split up. Maybe it's the whole new year, new start thing? It didn't happen last year but was often the case throughout uni.

Speak it! Quite right. I was always the same, but now anyone who crawls out of the woodwork is swiftly booted back to where they came from :D
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    yup, same here, one night there were 3 exes and 2 casuals out

wasnt happy haha
  • Options
    I've got my first ever boyfriend working at the O Neil's in Bromley, where I go drinking. I'd avoid going in there so I didn;t have to see him but I like it and I'm churlish enough to enjoy winding him up :D

My most recent ex I also see around Bromley (primarily in O Neil's again:rolleyes: ) because that's where I met him and it's where we both drink. I still speak to that one though.
  • Options
    Fairy wrote:
    Just a bit of a rant...every Christmas my ex's seem to reappear, some from perhaps just a year ago or so and others from years ago! I wish they would just leave me alone, but it seems whenever they are alone and especially at Christmas they contact me. It would be different if I was still close friends with them, but I am not. Being me I always feel obliged to say something back just to be polite. Maybe I should just tell them to fuck off though, but then I would seem like Scrooge.
    Do they happen to live in the same area as you?

When I go back a lot of people want to meet up, even those who I don't consider to be close to (I don't consider myself to have many 'close' friends). Maybe they just missed you and want to say 'hi'... I mean Christmas is a time when you think about things and maybe they just thought of you. Maybe they consider you a mate and know for a fact that you'll be home this season or have more time for people.