Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Playing games/hard to get

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
/

Comments

• Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    What do you think about game playing/being hard to get and unavailable at the start of something new?

I don't like game playing, I'm generally a very straight up person and am genuine and honest with people. If I like them, I say, if I'm nervous, I say etc.

But I was speaking to my Mum and she said I should not be too available and pretend to be busy even if I'm not because that makes a guy want you more.

And what about stuff like the time frame of texting someone back? Like he text me about an hour ago, do you think it's better to wait a while?

I know from my own experience that if someone texts back straight away or seems too interested it can be a bit off putting.

It's such a headfuck...It's quite a long time since I've been in the 'dating game' and I don't know what to do anymore.

Personally I hate the playing games thing. As long as you don't appear too needy or keen then just be yourself. Playing games usually sends mixed messages anyway and putting on a pretence is difficult.
  • Options
    Personally I couldn't be doing with that. If I were a block being played around with, I'd move on to someone better.
  • Options
    Dating game can mess your head up. I don't think you should make him doubt, just go ahead at it but don't go overkill. I love it when people text me back directly, it's not off-putting at all as long as it isn't like that all the time. You have to show appreciation somehow ...

I think it's very much up to the individual. there are many people out there whose opinions are entirely different and i guess you have to find a balance. The worst thing is when it goes days and they haven't answered your question, bah, especially when you really feel for someone. :(

playing games and hard to get sucks.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Everyone makes a typo *shrugs*

I wouldn't play hard to get - too much effort IMO :p
  • Options
    :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ahh, well you see that was, of course, intentional.

A block, like, Mr Strong, off of Mr Men. He's a block.
  • Options
    I wouldn't play hatrd-to-get, but I do think that a bit of suspense makes you look more desirable.
  • Options
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    But I was speaking to my Mum and she said I should not be too available and pretend to be busy even if I'm not because that makes a guy want you more.

Not at all. This just kills my interest. Ofcourse, like someone else said, it's different for different people, but personally I really can't be arsed with this sort of thing...
  • Options
    :no:

i hate all this game playing malarky! i can't be doing with 'ooh i best wait until next week to reply so he doesn't think i'm too keen!'. he's more likely to think you're not interested. however; i think sometimes if you really like someone you should maybe play it a little cooler incase they're not quite feeling the same vibe. :thumb:
  • Options
    if you like someone you should let them know, if you spend too much time playing games they may loose interest or meet someone else why risk that, afterall if theyr actually worth going out with they arent gona mind if you look to keen, might even take it as a compliment, or theyll just like that youre honest and just being yourself.
  • Options
    Playing hard to get makes you sad. Being hard to get means you're interesting. Of course if you can do the first and make it appear like the second, then hats off to you. But it'll only last a while, before the person you're seeing gets to know you a bit and realises that you're not quite as interesting as you would have them believe.
  • Options
    let me tell you somethign pussykatty... I have my beady eye on a girl and because I am horrible insecure I am writing her txt in a way so there is almost not real way to respond to them (no questions in them, etc.).

When I asked her out of the blue via text if she wants to meet up, because I am around with a few friends hopping from party to party and if she fancied to come along she could call me or smth.

Not expecting any answer, she really responded, that it's nice of me to think of her (taking her along), but she's in another town (with her fam) atm. and that she wishes me lots of fun.

It's basically the opposite of playing hard to get and it's so nice to get an answer, so nice to see if you write her, she has the courtesy to respond.

playing hard to get sucks. I appreciate if I get some feedback off of my girls.

(oh yea, and im drunk so disregard anything that doesn't make sense, or pisses you off)
  • Options
    Playing hard to get makes you sad. Being hard to get means you're interesting.

:thumb:

Being too busy sometimes to call/text/meet is good when you're getting to know someone, as it obviously keeps them intruiged and interested. But only if you actually are too busy, as pretending to be too busy to call/text/meet isn't cool and really sets the tone for any relationship you might have imo.

After all if you're interested surely you'd reply or agree to meet as soon as you were able, it shouldn't be necessary to strategise to keep someone hooked.. especially at square one. I definitely see what you (or you mum) means as it does seem that in a lot of cases playing a few games gets results, but only do it if you're sure you know it'll work because they can backfire spectacularly.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in any guy who was put off because I replied to his text immediately, or because I was available to go out with him on Friday night. I would also be extremely turned off and unimpressed by a bloke who wasn't making contact despite not being busy, though obviously if they've got a stressful job, busy life etc then you have to take that into account. So I guess that's where we're all different. I definitely think life's too short for that kind of thing, just enjoy getting to know him and if it works out it works out :)
  • Options
    But it'll only last a while, before the person you're seeing gets to know you a bit and realises that you're not quite as interesting as you would have them believe.

:yes: Starting off by acting like someone else and living underneath a facade means you're doomed forever to that role. I just do my best to be myself and i don't need do worry that much about how I act later on. Think about it, it must suck always putting on an act and being someone else when you're with someone. I, for a start, would never want a relationship like that. It's a waste of time and effort, when it could have been better by just being yourself. Don't put too much thought into this -- after all, if you fail by being yourself, there was nothing in that relationship which you should aspire for.