Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Linksys router / adapter more problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need help again guys.

I had my Linksys wireless router and usb adapter set up and working fine, ok so an icon for the wireless connection was missing from the network connections area via control panel but that's another thing altogether.

The problem is the night before last the pc downstairs which has the usb adapter connected into it literally just stopped / sending / receiving ANY data. It's own monitor says its connected, it's maintaining a speed of 36MB yet nothing loads in FF or IE. Tried to ping a website via CMD but again nothing, it lost all 4 packets of information it tried to send.

I just cannot figure out at all how in in instant it stopped working properly. I've tried uninstalling the usb adapter and adding it again and although as before it says it's all connected, NOTHING.

Also. When it finds my router and it connects it displays the following message and I'm confused to hell what it's actually trying to tell me :

" connected to access point but internet not found " ... ?

I need this set up ASAP so the pc in the living room can be used by family when I'm not here.

So much for it being " easy " to set up & " hassle free " .. pfft yeah right had nothing but issues since day one !

Any advice greatly appreciated, sooner the better. Thank you : )

Comments

• Options
    Ok, type 192.168.1.1 into a browser window.

If you can connect to your router then it's not an issue with your adapter, or I wouldn't have thought so anyway.

These things are such a bitch sometimes. I just do hard resets of everything when it doesn't work :(
  • Options
    Just tried connecting to the modem config page, nothing :( Just won't load as before when trying to load websites.

It's just downright bizarre that the USB adapter is telling me it IS connected with 36MB speed and yet it ISNT connecting to the net. Problem is i cant reset the adapter i can only disable and re-enable which i ahvein fact done well before posting this. Tried everything i know to try and get it working but it will not budge whatsoever :(
  • Options
    I don't know if this will work, doubt it, but it's worth a shot:

for internet explorer:
    1. go to tools > internet options
    2. click on the connections tab
    3. click LAN Settings
    4. make sure automatically detect settings is ticked

for firefox:
    1. tools > options
    2. advanced tab then network sub-tab
    3. in the connection area click settings
    4. try direct connection and if that doesn't work try automatically detect proxies

Have you tried resetting the router at all? As in just simply unplugging it, leaving it for 30 seconds (this allows the RAM to lose it's memory so its got no 'saved' settings) then plugging it back in?
  • Options

Have you tried resetting the router at all? As in just simply unplugging it, leaving it for 30 seconds (this allows the RAM to lose it's memory so its got no 'saved' settings) then plugging it back in?

No .. only un-install / re-install ..will try that after checking the browser settings. Though i should point out that before it just " broke " the browsers where working fine without needing to do any of this, though anything is worth a shot as it's pissing me off no end now, i'm tired but i cant give up until i get it working ! :p

Thanks for the help so far man :)
  • Options
    Did it work?
  • Options
    Sadly not no :(

I'm going to double check that the browsers are even being allowed to access the net but otherwise i'm stuffed. I tried configuring the Wireless zero thing on both pc's and it didnt help at all.

Having unintalled the thing and reinstalled it there doesnt seem anything else i can do to get it working now. .
  • Options
    Only other thing I can think of is completely wiping the router. It does sound more like a router specific problem, I can't be sure though. On the back of the router there should be a small button where you can push a pen in or something. If you hold it for 30 seconds it will reset it to factory settings.

Make sure you have the correct and up to date drivers for your wireless cards, windows will try to install it's own proprietry drivers but they often cause problems.
  • Options
    Yeah ive opted to uninstall the usb adapter from the downstairs pc and will reinstall it tomorrow with uptodate drivers if they are available.

Thinking of doing the same with the router itself too, that or as you suggest pressing the reset button on the back of it.

Really annoyed that it got messed up in the first place through no fault of our own though and have not been able to suss out just what has been causing this problem.

Course now i've also found another, unrelated, problem too !

Bloody surround sound speakers were working fine yesterday, possibly today then this evening noticed that sound was only coming from 2 of the 4 available. Fiddled about with sound for each speaker and discovered that the sound is vastly reduced even with system volume set to high. No new drivers exist for these speakers either so cant even try to update them. Unconnected every single lead and plugged it back in and still nothing.

Don't think anything likes me at the moment. Have a list of problems with thing's at the moment ! :(
  • Options
    Well for the speakers, I've been having a similar problem. First of all, what sound card do you have? It will either be integrated onto your motherboard of you'll have aseperate card. You need sound card drivers for speakrs.

Anyway, go to
    - start > control panel (excuse me here because I use classic view)
    - click on sounds and audio devices
    - On the volume tab, under the speaker settings field, there's a button called advanced, click it
    - make sure this is set to the correct 'set up' for your system. Also ensure all cables are plugged in properly. Mine changed itself from 2.1 to 5.1 and so I was getting no centre sound, you're sounds like the opposite :p

As for wireless, it's a complete and utter bitch and dies when it wants. I've had hell over the past two years with Linksys. One of my solutions was that plugging the power cable into an extension lead before the wall caused it to drop the connection every 5 minutes, but if it was just plugged into the wall it's only occasionally.

also, if anyone goes onto the BBC website and tries to watch a news broadcast, the whole network will go down... and the router needs a reset again.

:mad: try pestering Linksys support, they might help :). I find that when everything goes wrong however, just uninstall and start again, making sure every step is done correctly.
  • Options
    Nah nothing is going with the speakers. Sat and went through everything intricatally last night. The problem is that sound is coming through only one of the 4 speakers at full volume and very faint in the others, the subwoofer is working fine though. It's almost like i can hear static coming out of the faint speakers but ive no idea how that could be.

Think ive found the drivers so will reinstall those.

As for the Linksys router / adapter. Hm. I think the problem is that apparently telewest carried out maintenence at the time when the downstairs pc stopped working correctly. I noticed that even when the adapter was connected to the router it was not able ot pick up the IP address subnet mask etc etc. Which is why for a third time now i've taken it off and am going to reinstall it.

Will get an email off to Linksys at some point soon.
  • Options
    edn1 wrote:
    Just tried connecting to the modem config page, nothing :( Just won't load as before when trying to load websites.

It's just downright bizarre that the USB adapter is telling me it IS connected with 36MB speed and yet it ISNT connecting to the net. Problem is i cant reset the adapter i can only disable and re-enable which i ahvein fact done well before posting this. Tried everything i know to try and get it working but it will not budge whatsoever :(

Had similar problem with Belkin USB adaptor, connected to windows but the LED never came on and no data went back and forth.

Run Belkin, they emailed me a prepaid sticker to print out and stick on an envelope so postage was free and within 5 days they sent me a new USB Adaptor.

Belkin stuff has a lifetime warranty .. not sure about yours but ring them and get a replacement if you can.
  • Options
    Had similar problem with Belkin USB adaptor, connected to windows but the LED never came on and no data went back and forth.

Run Belkin, they emailed me a prepaid sticker to print out and stick on an envelope so postage was free and within 5 days they sent me a new USB Adaptor.

Belkin stuff has a lifetime warranty .. not sure about yours but ring them and get a replacement if you can.

If it's faulty then pretty much all manufacturers will replace, without proof of purchase, as long as it isn't just wear and tear. But having had similar problems myself I wasn't sure if it was faulty...
  • Options
    Interesting, and sorry i feel it easier and better to bring my thread back up than make a new one.

Just noticed the POWER light start flashing and moments later msn signed out, THAT explains a lot ! ... but how is it that when the power light was flashing the modems lights were all on as usual ...

Wonder if the router is actually faulty after all ... cant think that this is a common occurrence surely, it detracts from the whole being wireless and connected to the net and such like ...
  • Options
    i used to have a linksys wireless conector thingy and it would cut out half the time and was basically really rubbishly annoying. We got in some network man to try and sort it out which just made it work. But now ive got a new computer which doenst have a linksys thingy and works fine the whole time.
  • Options
    i used to have a linksys wireless conector thingy and it would cut out half the time and was basically really rubbishly annoying. We got in some network man to try and sort it out which just made it work. But now ive got a new computer which doenst have a linksys thingy and works fine the whole time.