Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

London underground at night

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to London next week for the day and will be getting the train home at 9.30pm, what is the underground like around this time. I dont fancy it much if its going to be dead or full of gangs or something.. :nervous:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    No no, I've lived in London forever, at 9:30 it will be fine, you wont get any trouble.
  • Options
    sweet :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its fine.

Remember to leave a lot of time as its at least a 5 minute walk through St Pancras station, and closer to 15 mins from Kings X/St P underground.
  • Options
    Yes - you are right to be scared.

Gangs with bloodhounds, after young victims.

No, it's fine. 9:30 is probably a nice time to travel. It's after rush hour, and it's not completely dead.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    BritJames wrote:

No, it's fine. 9:30 is probably a nice time to travel. It's after rush hour, and it's not completely dead.

:yes: London Underground is never dead in my experience - especially not during the Christmas season when some of the shops are open until 10pm.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    :yes: London Underground is never dead in my experience - especially not during the Christmas season when some of the shops are open until 10pm.

The Hammersmith and City line is regularly dead, I fail to see why they have that line, only about a dozen people use it during rush hour.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    budda wrote:
    The Hammersmith and City line is regularly dead, I fail to see why they have that line, only about a dozen people use it during rush hour.

:no: I wish, I regularly use the Hammersmith and City line after work (5:30-6pm) - there's nearly always a fair few more than a dozen people - I get propelled onto it!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    :no: I wish, I regularly use the Hammersmith and City line after work (5:30-6pm) - there's nearly always a fair few more than a dozen people - I get propelled onto it!

How curious, when ever I've used it its been nearly empty, though I have to admit I havent used it during rush hour.
  • Options
    It's always been fine in my experience :yes:

If you aren't used to the underground make sure you think about ways to reduce your chances of being pickpocketed as that is a much bigger risk than the other things mentioned.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    If you aren't used to the underground make sure you think about ways to reduce your chances of being pickpocketed as that is a much bigger risk than the other things mentioned.

They always say that, but I dont know anyone who's been done on the Tube, I think they prey on the tourists and the easy drunk pickings.
  • Options
    About 2 weeks ago, I'd arrived in Lodon around 9.30 and got to the underground (Victoria) around 9.35pm. Had no problsm whatsoever or anything like that. I found it to be a bit packed. (not overly packed so that I couldn't move around or anything like that) I've used the tube a few times and have never had any problems with pickpockets.
  • Options
    You'll be fine that time of night. Its when you use it at gone 11 pissed you need to be worried.
  • Options
    Worried?!

Its the underground, not the eastern bloc.

Dont worry, its a safe system. Round the clock.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    They always say that, but I dont know anyone who's been done on the Tube, I think they prey on the tourists and the easy drunk pickings.
    And people who aren't used to the underground...

There was a thread by *Stacey* about getting pick pocketed on the tube only a few weeks ago when she visited London.
  • Options
    I've travelled home from gigs at 11 at night, usually in an inebriated form, and I've not had any trouble on the underground.

It's when you get to Watford on the silverlink trains that you should start to worry :grump:
  • Options
    You'll be fine that time of night. Its when you use it at gone 11 pissed you need to be worried.

Why be worried at 11?
    It's full of over-friendly people, ready to spread the alco-love

11 is maybe one of the safest times to travel hehe - rush hour get bombs, all day you get tourists, and then at 11 you just get the ones going home :p
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    I'm going to London next week for the day and will be getting the train home at 9.30pm, what is the underground like around this time. I dont fancy it much if its going to be dead or full of gangs or something.. :nervous:

It will be a lot nicer then going on there during a weekday at 5pm :thumb:
  • Options
    I've travelled home from gigs at 11 at night, usually in an inebriated form, and I've not had any trouble on the underground.

It's when you get to Watford on the silverlink trains that you should start to worry :grump:

Why do you go to Watford to get to MK when you can go direct from Euston?