Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Owies - piecing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got my labrette pierced today, it didn't hurt when it was done (tho they didn't freeze it) and I can talk fine, but eating hurts.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    get more piercings and enjoy the rush? Don't eat? Does it look godd? are you pleased with it?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    get more piercings and enjoy the rush? Don't eat? Does it look godd? are you pleased with it?
    Yep, I really like it. A few mates have said it looks good too!

Would take a pic but my face is really dry at the moment.
  • Options
    My piercer's advice was sea salt in boiling water, cooled to body temp to clean with and otherwise leave it alone. If it's actually 'hurting' you could take a painkiller but I think asprin is advised against (blood thinning?) but ibuprofen might be ok (reduce swelling).
  • Options
    not much advice i suppose. when i had my lip pierced it hurt for about a week too. i lived on wotsits cos i would put them into my cheek (on the side i didnt have it pierced) and suck them til they went mushy :D but don't worry you'll be able to eat properly soon!

and yeeeah i agree with katralla, salt water to clean it. swill your mouth out with it and spit it out to clean the inside (even though it tastes disgusting) and i cleaned the outside with a cotton bud and salt water :)
  • Options
    One thing I read on piercing site was not to make your salt solution too strong, otherwise it will aggrevate rather than facilitate healing. Mostly, apart from cleaning it, you should just leave it alone.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    One thing I read on piercing site was not to make your salt solution too strong, otherwise it will aggrevate rather than facilitate healing. Mostly, apart from cleaning it, you should just leave it alone.

yeeeeah, i think its about 1 teaspoon you should put in...or that might be wrong. not a lot anyway.
  • Options
    was thinking the same thing, about 1 teaspoon per cup of water.
  • Options
    A quarter of a teaspoon to one mug of water....

(Oh, and it's Labret ;))
  • Options

(Oh, and it's Labret ;))

because that matters.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

Yeah, there's something which looks like a red bruise around the outside of my lip on the piercing. Is that normal?
  • Options
    I dunno, bruising does sound normal though. Does it hurt? Is it itchy? If itchy you might be slighty allergic to the metal- what metal did they use? I would leave it alone except for to loosen and remove any gunk with salt solution, then if it hurts, you're worried or it does something unexpected - turn up at piercers and say 'does this look alright?'

My second piercing took longer to heal than first, and swelled up loads so I was in and out of piercers. He didn't mind, had to fit me with longer bar for the swelling so it was a good idea to go back. They usually advise to see a piercer if it goes mildly wrong, before seeing a doctor, because docs just take 'em out whereas piercers know how to deal.
  • Options
    Asked my piercist and she said it was a bruise... It's going away in a bruisey kinda way.
  • Options
    Not really much you can do. Its just part of having an oral piercing- its likely to hurt when you eat.

When i had mine done i would suck on ice cubes alot, and suck on antibacterial/anaethetic lozenges.

Just make sure you dont fiddle with it too much and keep it clean, same with all piercings though and you probably know that.

Another tip i picked up is to buy a new toothbrush.
  • Options
    Agree'd on everything Blah says....

Other advice includes:
    Do not drink straight vodka anytime soon. Being young and dumb back when i got my lip pierced, i did and by god it hurt.

Wait the proper amount of time before you start changin jewellery. I changed from a labret stud to a ring way too soon and hurt the piercing in doing so.

You sound like your doing good tho
    Happy Healing