Home Travel & Free Time
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here

Well done Theo Walcott

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'd just like to say well done to the wee man for winning Young Sports Personality of The Year.

Well done for not getting splinters in your arse from sitting on the bench all year.

And so well deserved too, to be able to sit on the bench like that all year and not get a single splinter in your arse. I'm sure that's going to inspire a generation of youngsters to get up and get active.

Not like that blind girl who was nominated. She just worked her arse off all year and got a silver medal in the World Championship. Would have made a mockery of the whole thing if she'd won.

As for the main award - I would :yes:

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, me too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Zara Philips what a joke! Calzaghe didnt make the top three either... hmpf.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Didn't see it, but Zara fucking Phillips!!? Yeah she's really overcome massive hardships to get where she is today. I heard once she even had to put up with a trainer that pronounced it po-er rather that pour.

    Beth Tweddle or Darren Clarke should've got it. After that Joe Calzaghe or Monty Panesar. The state of gymnastics in this country, it's amazing that anyone even gets to a final, so to beat all those state-sponsored gymnasts from China and India is a huge achievement.

    And Theo Walcott? I can think of a dozen footballers that are more deserving than him, never mind sportsmen altogether. Hell, Micah Richards hasn't been playing for a season and has already got a cap for England and a regular starting place at one of the worlds best teams. (What?)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thankfully the awards are as worthless as Brits and British Soap Awards.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Darren Clarke should have won IMO but I'm biased, and don't know anything about gymnasts etc. Zara Phillips was undoubtedly voted winner by the significant number of people who still love the Royal Family in this country. Pretty sad.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That and the fact that she's the European and World Best at her event, which is more than you can say for most of her competitors including Darren Clarke.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That and the fact that she's the European and World Best at her event, which is more than you can say for most of her competitors including Darren Clarke.

    The Sports Personality award isn't and shouldn't be solely down to sporting achievement though. I don't know - I am biased but equestrian stuff has never really struck me as a sport, always seemed like a past time for the wealthy and the uberclasses. I'm sure Miss Phillips had all the best trainers growing up as well, and she's had the added luxury of always being able to focus on her horsey sport where other budding sportsmen and women do the hard yards, and juggle their sports with other demands in life. Just seems like one of these things where, given the best training, you'll go far. Or maybe I've got it all wrong and her talent is entirely hereditary - mummy did win it too after all. :rolleyes:
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,248 Skive's The Limit
    Addict wrote:
    The Sports Personality award isn't and shouldn't be solely down to sporting achievement though. I don't know - I am biased but equestrian stuff has never really struck me as a sport, always seemed like a past time for the wealthy and the uberclasses. I'm sure Miss Phillips had all the best trainers growing up as well, and she's had the added luxury of always being able to focus on her horsey sport where other budding sportsmen and women do the hard yards, and juggle their sports with other demands in life. Just seems like one of these things where, given the best training, you'll go far. Or maybe I've got it all wrong and her talent is entirely hereditary - mummy did win it too after all. :rolleyes:

    Riding certainly is not just a sport for the wealthy or upperclass. It is a sport as much as anything else.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Riding certainly is not just a sport for the wealthy or upperclass. It is a sport as much as anything else.

    I suppose. That's not really my point though. Just seems like one of these things where lots of financial backing and the best trainers will get you far.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,248 Skive's The Limit
    Addict wrote:
    I suppose. That's not really my point though. Just seems like one of these things where lots of financial backing and the best trainers will get you far.

    But that goes with for a lot of sports, for example Motorsport? If Damon Hill won it would you be pissed off because he had the best training and money from his old man?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    But that goes with for a lot of sports, for example Motorsport? If Damon Hill won it would you be pissed off because he had the best training and money from his old man?

    Probably. Especially when there's probably people who have done the hard yards in their respective fields without the advantage of a comfortable background. I suppose the fact she's a royal doesn't sit well either as that would have undoubtedly swayed some of the British opinion.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,248 Skive's The Limit
    Addict wrote:
    Probably. Especially when there's probably people who have done the hard yards in their respective fields without the advantage of a comfortable background.

    Such is life. Even with the best trainers and shed loads of vonga she wouldn't have made it if she didn't have some serious talent. You can't deny people the recognition they deserve simply because they had a headstart.
    Addict wrote:
    I suppose the fact she's a royal doesn't sit well either as that would have undoubtedly swayed some of the British opinion.

    I suspect it may have swayed many the other way too. I think it's good that a sport rarely recognised, has produced the personality if the year. If it were based on sport popularity it would be a footballer everytime. She's a nice girl and she's bloody good at riding - that as far as I'm concerned is why she won.


    It seems to me your unhappy because 1. she's royatly and 2. your not intrested in riding.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    She's a nice girl and she's bloody good at riding - that as far as I'm concerned is why she won.
    No, that is why she won the actual thing she competed in. Whoever wins that is deserving of it no matter what training they've had. Sports Personality should be about overcoming the odds to succeed, and in my opinion Beth Tweddle did this more than anyone. But I guess that doesn't compete with attending fancy events and getting shown on telly all the time in the views of the British public.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,248 Skive's The Limit
    Sports Personality should be about overcoming the odds to succeed

    Is it?

    I thought it was a simple popularity contest.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sports Personality should be about overcoming the odds to succeed... But I guess that doesn't compete with attending fancy events and getting shown on telly all the time in the views of the British public.

    1. Don't you think that she's had to overcome some odds? With predjuice like is shown in this very thread for a start.

    2. Can't remember the last time I saw her event on the telly TBH. Not something I would have watched. besides personally I'd have voted for The Power. 13 World Titles is something which should be recognised.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't remember the last time it was on telly because I have a shocking memory. But I agree with Skive, she's good because she's good, not because she's rich. One of her mates died 3 days before she won gold, being rich didn't make him ok did it?

    She's talented, and that shouldn't be denied because of an accident of birth.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    It seems to me your unhappy because 1. she's royatly and 2. your not intrested in riding.

    It doesn't bother me that she's royal, but it does bother me that the fact she's royal invariably improved her odds of winning. I'm sure she does have talent and has spent her life training etc but if I think someone is more deserving, that's just the way it is. The fact I'm not interested in riding doesn't really affect my viewpoint. I'm not interested in cricket but I can appreciate why Flintoff won last year. I'd be interested to know if a non-royal equestrian competitors would have made it into first place, or even made the short-list for that matter!
Sign In or Register to comment.