Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

too nice?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Jus a question, is such a thing possible? I had been seein someone for a couple of months, and thought things were going great, then got told last week that she cared a lot, but couldnt do it... she does have her own problems at the mo to b fair, but i get the impression that if i hadnt always been there, and done my best, things wud have gone better.

Im no pushover, can give sum cheek, and have my own hobbies, mates and the like. I just make an effort to travel 20 min to see her rather than make her come here, and treat her nice, and, while its appreciated, it feels like ive failed because im not a 'bad boy' who goes out on the pull, upsetting, and bein nasty to a girl who i care about! I kno she has suffered from blokes who cudnt care too much before, she told me that, but how difficult can it be to accept that i am someone who wud do anything?? It's not helping that we are still in contact, because she is so keen to stay friends.

Im clueless, think im gunna become a bit more nasty:banghead:

Comments

• Options
    God not another one.

There is no need to be more nasty. This is more likely to be an issue she has, rather than a problem with how you are.
  • Options
    God no... don't be nasty to a girl. I can speak out of my own experience now after several years of being rebuffed, listen up.

Nice is good, but often comes with doormatishness. and that's bad.
    nasty is bad, but often comes with self-confidence, and that's good.

Now try and find the middle thing. Right now I am about in the middle and I am doing pretty fine. I'm not too shy, asked for her number in front of a few of her friends, but called her in the evening and had beautiful, funny, entertaining conversation with her, for half an hour. You might call such a thing "nice" and associate it with something bad. No it's not, not if you don't over do it, call her constantly, write her like 10 texts throughout they day and all the such.

I am a bit clueless how far the listening to someone's problems should go. Right now I'm pretty much at the beginning so there is no such thing, but in the past I since I care much about the well-being about the people I value, I was the shoulder to cry on, and that gets you in the friends-zone quicker than in the morgue when running naked through Harlem with swastika tatoos all over your body.

I'd say don't act desinterested when she feels shit, but don't let an hourlong session begin and rather try to cheer her up instead of examining the issue.

There is no such thing as "too nice", just such a thing as too clingy, too inconfident etc.

Maybe I am different, but when I get to know new people and they treat me like I've been part of their family then I am flattered and a girl actually raises her chances with that, instead of being short with me.

Feel free to disagree with me girls, this is always a issue that interested me too.
  • Options
    bobhope wrote:
    it feels like ive failed because im not a 'bad boy' who goes out on the pull, upsetting, and bein nasty to a girl

I know how you feel. It's completely unfathomable that nice guys fail where complete baboons succeed. Of course the excuse you'll hear often is the "doormat" thing but it's obviously not true. When being too nice is worse than being a violent thug you've really got to worry about female mentality...
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:
    I know how you feel. It's completely unfathomable that nice guys fail where complete baboons succeed. Of course the excuse you'll hear often is the "doormat" thing but it's obviously not true. When being too nice is worse than being a violent thug you've really got to worry about female mentality...

jesus, you figured it all out... violent thug you say hm? Well I'll stab the professor at lecture, bet she'll be in awe!

what have I been doing my whole life? I could be abusing girls AND have sucess! :yippe:
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:

You're just speaking shit for effect, and deep down you know you are.

I also suspect you're assuming they're "bad guys" cause some girl decided to go out with him instead of you.

Some of the things girls need from a relationship can quite often be found more readily in "bad guys". They're maybe a bit more confident, which means they're less likely to be an emotional fuckwit, and the confidence can quite often translate to a good time in bed. The fact that you might class them as a "bad guy' doesn't always come into it.

More to the point, if you're more confident then you're more likely to be yourself - which 9 times out of 10 is a good thing that'll attract the opposite sex.

That's not to say at all that "nice guys" can't be like that, but a lot of guys with pretty low self-esteem pander to their girls every need, don't have a personality of their own and can prove to be really fucking irrritating when they hang about. They always seem to wonder how they can make her happy and not be an equal part of the relationship.

People aren't just "good" or 'bad", and you need to accept that.
  • Options
    I think the whole "girls go for bad guys" thing has a slight bit of truth. Sorry to generalise, but girls will tend to like the most confident, high profile (for want of another word) bloke in a room. In a band that'd be the lead singer for example. In a football team it's the star striker. In a room full of thugs that have no other redeeming features, that translates as the bloke who is more capable of beating everyone else up. And any girl in that social circle would probably be attracted to that. And there's the whole protection thing that a lot of girls tend to like. Though in my experience, girls tend to like to know that a bloke could protect them if he had to, but are turned off by anyone who starts fights with anyone who looks the wrong way at her. Yes I did say a slight bit of truth. And to be honest, girls that are attracted to dickheads tend to be dickheads themselves, so they're actually doing everyone else a favour by taking two of them off the market.

And as for the nice thing, gah, this comes up all the time. Yes you can be too nice. You can be too nice if you change your plans to suit her all the time. You can be too nice if you sit and listen to her pour her heart out about something that's not related to you, instead of changing the subject and cheering her up and showing her a good time. You can be too nice if you if she knows that you love her so much in the world that you'll never so much as glance at another girl. Basically, you can be too nice if you don't excite her at all.

But have you ever considered that she might just not have felt like the relationship was going anywhere? Even super-confident bad boys have relationships break up after a couple of months without knowing why. I wouldn't start thinking about changing yourself just because one relationship didn't work out one time.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    You're just speaking shit for effect, and deep down you know you are.

I also suspect you're assuming they're "bad guys" cause some girl decided to go out with him instead of you.

Some of the things girls need from a relationship can quite often be found more readily in "bad guys". They're maybe a bit more confident, which means they're less likely to be an emotional fuckwit, and the confidence can quite often translate to a good time in bed. The fact that you might class them as a "bad guy' doesn't always come into it.

More to the point, if you're more confident then you're more likely to be yourself - which 9 times out of 10 is a good thing that'll attract the opposite sex.

That's not to say at all that "nice guys" can't be like that, but a lot of guys with pretty low self-esteem pander to their girls every need, don't have a personality of their own and can prove to be really fucking irrritating when they hang about. They always seem to wonder how they can make her happy and not be an equal part of the relationship.

People aren't just "good" or 'bad", and you need to accept that.

I feel like I'm following you around the boards just agreeing with your posts!

I think (as a girl) its true though. I don't particularly think about good guys and bad guys, but if people are confident with themselves that is an attractive quality and I'm more likely to go for that than someone sitting being nice to me. If I want someone to be nice to me I'll go see my parents. Doormats who will do anything to make you happy are uninteresting, and personally I lose interest if someone is willing to pander to my every whim.

Try reading this rant which one of our posters wrote :thumb:
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:
    It's completely unfathomable that nice guys fail where complete baboons succeed.

Anyone who believes that bullshit doesn't deserve to have a girlfriend.

As for the OP's original point, sometimes this happens, and it isn't anyone's fault. Not all relationships succeed even if you try as hard as you can...the girl has said herself that she probably isn't ready for the commitment. It's not a reflection on you as a person, its just one of those things.

Some girls are afraid of people who treat them well, because they feel they only deserve bad treatment, but that's a problem she has to work through. It doesn't mean you need to start treating people badly.

If you just keep ploughing along being you, having fun, getting into relationships, then one will come along that is right for you both and it will succeed. But just remember that the relationship didn't fail because you were too nice/not nice enough, you just obviously weren't suited. Don't think that women only love a bastard, because that's a one-way ticket to loneliness.
  • Options
    it seems to me that this girl has had some very bad experiences and has come to accept that all men are bastards. far from trying to prove her right, by turning into Mr Nasty, you should show her the compassion and understanding that she so badly needs.

Where do men get this idea from, that women only like the bad boys? If a guy beat me and cheated on me i'd drop him in a shot.
  • Options
    I think quite a few young teenage girls like the bad boys because it gives them the crisis that they so adore, but when people start dating properly it stops being true.
  • Options
    They do say that in order to appreciate the good guys, girls need to experience some bad boys.

As Senor Rage points out, it's normally an adolescent thing. The bad boy fits in with the general theme of rebellion but just about everyone grows out of it.

Even I used to be quite a bad boy in my more formative years.
  • Options
    oooooh dear, sorry if i touched a few nerves! Im over it now, if sum1 cant appreciate who i am for me then tits to them, then its their loss. There are a lot of J-No's about, fancy themselves a bit and thinks they are special wen they are not. I think that bein a bit decent, not overly so, jus havin a care and bringin sum1 first once in a while will always be an asset BUT if you will be a walkover which I am certainly not, then i suppose u deserve to be get the doormat treatment..

Shall live and learn! :thumb:
  • Options
    bobhope wrote:
    oooooh dear, sorry if i touched a few nerves! Im over it now, if sum1 cant appreciate who i am for me then tits to them, then its their loss. There are a lot of J-No's about, fancy themselves a bit and thinks they are special wen they are not. I think that bein a bit decent, not overly so, jus havin a care and bringin sum1 first once in a while will always be an asset BUT if you will be a walkover which I am certainly not, then i suppose u deserve to be get the doormat treatment..

Shall live and learn! :thumb:

If you really start to believe and act according to what you just said, you earned you a lot of plus-points on the market.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Anyone who believes that bullshit doesn't deserve to have a girlfriend.

You deserve to have your throat slit.

@ the rest of you: You only have to go to countries like Japan to realise how twisted and backwards our society/women is.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Lifeless wrote:

:wave: Cherio!

Some girls like bad boys because they enjoy the drama and attention. Nice is just another word for boring.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:

Quoted for truth.

It's all very well being a nice guy, but if nice is all you are, you won't have a great deal of luck.

Show me a nice guy who's funny and self confident and a bit ballsy as well, and I'll show you a guy who never has a problem with the ladies.
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:
    You only have to go to countries like Japan to realise how twisted and backwards our society/women is.
    What? :confused:

Though if you're inviting me to go to Japan to check out the women over there, I'm in. Japanese girls are hawt!
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:
    So who are you insulting here? Men more confident than you or women who choose not to throw themselves at your feet?

Do you honestly objectify women so much that you should get one as a prize for being a good little boy?

You think you are morally superior to other men somehow? How lovely of you...

You have a lot to learn about women from what it seems. Maybe you should get to know some of these 'violent thugs'... They could actually be nice people.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Strubbles speaketh truth.

Pay attention boys: want to know what women like? Try combining self-confidence with nice, respectful behaviour. :yes:
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:

I bet you say that to all the girls.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    So who are you insulting here? Men more confident than you or women who choose not to throw themselves at your feet?
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying that the "baboons" and the "violent thugs" he's talking about are the only kind of men that have confidence?
  • Options
    She's meaning that he's being an offensive prick for thinking that any woman who doesn't throw herself at him has "mental problems" and only finds "baboons" attractive.

No wonder he can't get laid with an attitude like that.
  • Options
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    As for the OP's original point, sometimes this happens, and it isn't anyone's fault. Not all relationships succeed even if you try as hard as you can...the girl has said herself that she probably isn't ready for the commitment. It's not a reflection on you as a person, its just one of those things.

Some girls are afraid of people who treat them well, because they feel they only deserve bad treatment, but that's a problem she has to work through. It doesn't mean you need to start treating people badly.

If you just keep ploughing along being you, having fun, getting into relationships, then one will come along that is right for you both and it will succeed. But just remember that the relationship didn't fail because you were too nice/not nice enough, you just obviously weren't suited. Don't think that women only love a bastard, because that's a one-way ticket to loneliness.

:yes: I salut you Kermit. As for being insulted for putting forward this insight to the OP, well :banghead:

If anyone has anything more CONSTRUCTIVE to add for the OP then go ahead. Otherwise this will be closed.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Strubbles speaketh truth.

Pay attention boys: want to know what women like? Try combining self-confidence with nice, respectful behaviour. :yes:

:yes: This is the not so spectacular secret that quite a few guys just can't seem to grasp. You hear these guys saying "I'm a really nice guy but she just won't go out with me" as if nice is an optional extra that he has and other men don't. Nice should come as standard. Then you combine that with self confidence and a bit of ability to make them laugh, maybe with a bit of flirty banter or cheekiness and the door is open. Again, the guys who don't understand this think that being self confident is being 'badass' or a 'thug' and can't understand why girls like guys like this. Last time I checked confident had a different defintion to badboy. It's really not that difficult...
  • Options
    I can't be arsed with all this charming, self-confident, witty banter bullshit. I'm just gonna by a car and hang out round McDonalds playing loud music. That seems to work for a lot of blokes. Not sure if that impresses anyone over about 14 though. :chin:
  • Options
    :yes: This is the not so spectacular secret that quite a few guys just can't seem to grasp. You hear these guys saying "I'm a really nice guy but she just won't go out with me" as if nice is an optional extra that he has and other men don't. Nice should come as standard. Then you combine that with self confidence and a bit of ability to make them laugh, maybe with a bit of flirty banter or cheekiness and the door is open. Again, the guys who don't understand this think that being self confident is being 'badass' or a 'thug' and can't understand why girls like guys like this. Last time I checked confident had a different defintion to badboy. It's really not that difficult...

:thumb:

Absolutely!
  • Options