Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shared flats and TV license

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
So we live in a communal flat of 4. A communal TV is provided in the lounge. Two of the residents watch it all the time, the other two (ie me and flatmate) haven't watched it once in three months.

The other two, from now on referred to as 'the cunts' have taken it amongst themselves to buy a TV license and are now trying to blackmail us into paying them both £40 each for something we don't want and don't use. I've politely told the cunts that I'm not paying as I don't feel the need to, plus I can't afford to. I come home tonight to find a note on the kitchen door from said cunts saying if we don't pay up soon 'they will take action'.

Firstly, how do I proceed with this? I can't actually afford to pay it and I intend not to on the principle!

Secondly what action can said cunts actually take?

Things in this flat have been going wrong for ages, from stupid notes asking us to hoover up (we actually do anyway!) from petty noise complaints about music being played at 10pm. This just seems like more petty shite I could do without.

Thanking you.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Andy says you should tell them to fuck off. He isn't replying but says that I can reply on his behalf. :eek2:

Oh and he wants to know who's TV it is.
  • Options
    I would tell them to suck my dick and throw the tv out of the window. Then I'd smile sweetly, say "who me" and chuckle "I didn't do it" under my breath as I chortle off.
  • Options
    If there's no agreement anywhere as to who provides the TV license, and they bought it without consulting you then I wouldn't have thought that there was any action that they could take, other than become utter shites to live with.

I suppose one thing they could do would be to get rid of the license and then report the flat to the TV licensing people and get you all fined, but that wouldn't really suit them.
  • Options
    Tell them to write you a letter of complaint and mail it up their arse. They're already stupid cunts anyway, so they can't get any worse.

There isn't any action they can take- they didn't ask you if you wanted the licence, so basically they can swivel.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Tell them to write you a letter of complaint and mail it up their arse.

ah ha ha ha. so funny. must remember that one!
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    ah ha ha ha. so funny. must remember that one!
    Yeah it's good isn't it hehe.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Tell them to write you a letter of complaint and mail it up their arse. They're already stupid cunts anyway, so they can't get any worse.

There isn't any action they can take- they didn't ask you if you wanted the licence, so basically they can swivel.
    Excellent.

I will inform them :)
    other than become utter shites to live with.
    They already are so it couldnt be much worse.
    Although my flatmate is tempted to try and get a restraining order for harrassment :lol:
  • Options
    I hope you've kept the letter, it's nice of them to leave evidence of their blackmail. Or I suppose extortion rather than blackmail.
  • Options
    They sound like right twats :(
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    This may not be what you want to hear, but if there's a communal TV, whether or not you use it, it's normally the responsibility of the whole house to pay for it :-( But I'd write to askTheSite just to be sure on your legal position of who is actually meant to pay for it. I guess the people who are watching it are worried about gettnig a fine, which I can understand. But can you honestly say you're never going to walk past the TV when there's a big footie match on or the final of X factor??!! (ok well perhaps not the latter)

But it could work in your favour - if you don't kick up too much of a fuss you could give them the money - but on the provision you all sort out your differences about the cleaning and music etc. So basically you tell them if you're willing to compromise, then you expect the same from them. If you're hostile about it though it's bound to get their back up and although it's completely unfair that you should have to bribe them into easing up on things elsewhere in the house when they are being petty, it could be your only option...
  • Options
    Another issue worth considering, or discussing with them, is why they've bought the license outright. By asking for £80 they have to have paid in a lump sum. Which, without consulting with you seems inappropiate and deliberately aimed at winding you up. After all paying by direct debit would have been about 2.50 each per month not a huge lump sum.
  • Options
    Pearly wrote:
    This may not be what you want to hear, but if there's a communal TV, whether or not you use it, it's normally the responsibility of the whole house to pay for it :-(

If there isn't a license then the occupiers may be jointly liable if a TV signal is received, but that's not quite the same thing as in this case as they have gone and bought a license without consultation.

I think Jim V is probably right, it looks like it has been done to rile you. And I know that from your previous posts that they are not amenable to compromise.

I have to say that I wouldn't pay for a TV that I don't want to watch unless I had been consulted.
  • Options
    I would tell them to cancel the licence, get the refund and do it monthly.
  • Options
    They have been politely informed to fuck off so we shall see what 'action' they take.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    They have been politely informed to fuck off so we shall see what 'action' they take.
    :thumb: Good for you.
  • Options
    Seeing as you don't watch it and they've already bought the licence, maybe you should agree that for each hour of TV that you watch in a month, you will make a contribution towards the monthly cost. After all, it would be funny to see if they actually monitored how much television you watch. Just imagine them sitting with their little pads out noting down that as you walked to the kitchen you glanced at the tele for a period of 3 secs whilst the football was on ..... and then asking you for half a penny or something!

Edited to say that this was supposed to be funny but upon reading it, I'm not so sure AND I know that it doesn't really make sense!
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    Seeing as you don't watch it and they've already bought the licence, maybe you should agree that for each hour of TV that you watch in a month, you will make a contribution towards the monthly cost. After all, it would be funny to see if they actually monitored how much television you watch. Just imagine them sitting with their little pads out noting down that as you walked to the kitchen you glanced at the tele for a period of 3 secs whilst the football was on ..... and then asking you for half a penny or something!

Edited to say that this was supposed to be funny but upon reading it, I'm not so sure AND I know that it doesn't really make sense!
    Its a good idea.

I may suggest it in a letter, as this seems to be the only way they are able to communicate.