Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Good FPSs out on the market

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, was thinking of buying a new FPS tomorrow (finally I'm more or less exempt from school :D WONDERFUL!). I've got an excellent computer to support it, so performance isn't an issue. It has to be offline though, because I don't want the computer connected to the internet (for many reasons which i won't mention).

So, I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations? I don't want it to be that much about strategy, like Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six is. I've been reading many good reviews about Doom 3, that the graphics is magnificent but the gameplay isn't. I don't really care that much about the gameplay, I'm more interested in the shooting part ;) , it seems to be a good contrast to the other games I usually play (CS:source, Half-life, MOHAA etc). Anyone know of a good one?

I really feel for a FPS right now... It was a long time ago I really played a good one... and they are always multiplayer.

Thanks in advance, DF. :)

Comments

• Options
    Serious Sam: The First Encouter.

It's a million years old but it's big, it's stupid and it's hilarious.

That, or F.E.A.R, Half Life 2, Quake 4 or Call of Duty 2.

I'll try and think of more.
  • Options
    Prey?
  • Options
    Just installed F.E.A.R and by God it is a mind-blowing experience. The graphics is amazing, the story is incredibly scary and gruesome (I just loved it when I reached a room, which had the sign 'please try to keep this room clean' and having blood smattered all over the wall, floor and shelves). The shooting is so realistic, never played anything like it, except half-life 2, but I prefer this by a great margin really.

It just gets a bit too scary sometimes, and the skeletons and that cannibal is really a dictionary-definition of 'yuck'. I sometimes jump off my seat because I get so frightened. :p I hate it when you see hallucinations and you start shooting like a madman at them. :heart:

I also remember this scene, with a pansar door. When you start to reach the door this huge enemy leaps out and you're left exposed. I just love the fights! These clones are so realistic, I feel like I'm fighting against real, alive opponents because their movement and their tactics are so intricate and realistic that I forget I'm in a game.

And the best thing, it isn't addictive. Sometimes I just want to turn it off because I'm so scared of being killed and I really hate it when someone attacks you by surprise. The slow-motion effect is impressive and the visceral scenes are so gruesome and horrific that it's repulsive.

I whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone who has a penchant for FPSs and horror games at the same time. It is a quite strange mix, I can admit, but hey-ho, nothing beats a great game. ;)
  • Options
    Half-Life 2: Episode One

Sweet game, episode 2 should be out sometime next year too.