Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Losing my deposit?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*sighs*

Basically, I've been having a right problem with my live-in landlord.

I got my room inspected last month, and he's saying the laminate flooring in my room has been fucked up because I've been drying my clothes on my radiator, something about it causing damp. The damage is apparently a little bump on one of the strips on the floor, but in all honesty it could have been there since I moved in because it's not something noticeable at all.

Now I'm really wary of the guy, because I paid a years worth of TV licence when I moved in, then he tried to charge me again last month but I'd kept my reciept so he backtracked.

He says he's going to have to keep my deposit to replace the laminate flooring, but I've only really got his word that the damage was my fault anyway and I'd be amazed that it'd be 350 quids worth of damage in any case. Maybe it is, but like I say I've only his word for it.

Is there a way I can dispute it? I'll need my deposit for when I get a new place, and I suppose he holds all the cards because he's physically got my deposit. Is there a legal process for things like this?

I'm also quite keen to keep it as amicable as possible because I'll need the reference for my new place.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fuck it being amicable, that isn't going to happen.

If you don't take full and detailed photos when you move in then you leave yourself wide open to this, and very few people do take detailed photos. We've been fucked right up the arse by two of the cunts, both times actually fabricating damage in order to keep our deposit.

What you can say is that if a bit of condensation has caused the laminate then a) the damp course was not sufficient, b) the laminate was not installed properly and c) the property will probably breach building regulations for ventilation. It's unlikely that a bit of condensation has caused it, and if it is damp that has caused it is likely to be down to defective damp coursing.

I'd very politely tell him to fuck off, but you are right, he has your money and so holds all the cards.

If you're a lodger you have very few rights, unfortunately, and if he won't back down and return your deposit then your only option is legal action against him. You could also refuse to pay him your rent, but that is not a wise idea as the deposit cannot legally be used to pay rent arrears, so if he was a cunt he could make you pay twice.

If legal action is resorted to then be sure to let his mortgage lender know that he's been keeping lodgers, though- it will almost certainly be a breach of his mortgage conditions. With a bit of luck they might order immediate repayment :thumb: