Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do you know what a guy wants from you???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi guys!
im wondering...how do you know what a guy wants from you? i.e. whether he just wants a bit of fun+messing around (just sex), or if he actually likes you enough to ask you out?
yes,this is relating to the same guy in my other thread. ive been thinking....i really like him, but how do i know he isnt just talking to me because he thinks he's gonna get some action???
im not sure if this would bother me normally....bit of fun and all that, but with this guy i want it to be more+just know il be gutted if i learn he's using me for sex!
how do you tell??
L+C

Comments

• Options
    You don't. But if you give him the impression that he'll have to wait for a while, you should find out whether he really likes you. There are a few twats out there who will act as if they want a relationship 'til they've fucked you, but most guys are actually fairly decent. I'd say most guys that shag you and never call again do so because they thought it was just a casual thing, rather than because they were trying to decieve you in some way. So you can either take the risk, sleep with him, and hope he's still interested afterwards, or you can wait a while, and see if he's still interested if he's not getting any.
  • Options
    so...is there anyway i can subtly let him know i dont want it just be casual sex+that id like more??
  • Options
    If there's one thing I've learnt, men don't get subtle!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    If there's one thing I've learnt, men don't get subtle!
    I was gonna say. And if he's scared off by you being up front about it, then I guess you've got your answer.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    It's understandable you're asking for some guidance with this as it can be really tricky territory!

First off I think what I'm With Stupid has said is spot on - especially the last sentence. If you're not actually having sex with him and he's still around then that's a pretty good sign, and you could think about saying something along the lines of wanting to wait for sex because you only sleep with people who you're likely to get to know in the context of a proper relationship - or when there's potential for something to progress. His reactions to this are likely to be quite telling.

You might find thesite's article on lies that won't get you into bed quite telling - and if you're starting to hear some of these already then it doesn't necessarily mean that things can't work out - just that he needs to hear you won't fall for them!

On the other hand, I've seen others say in threads that they've made someone wait and even then the person has run a mile after they finally got some action. Now, although possible, I think it's an unlikely scenario and it could be quite damaging to get obsessed by the possiblity.

Overall, perhaps this is just an indication that it's not the right time to bring sex into the equation. At least until you really feel more secure with him. It's a good idea to try and imagine that even if things don't work out in the long run, sex is something that you've consented to because you both really want it and it's something you can look back on fondly rather than with resentment - or best case scenario - an experience that forms a lasting relationship.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    You might find thesite's article on lies that won't get you into bed quite telling - and if you're starting to hear some of these already then it doesn't necessarily mean that things can't work out - just that he needs to hear you won't fall for them!
    Whose personal experience are those taken from? It'll get rid of my acne? What a line. I can see why the girls are jumping into bed with that one.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    You might find thesite's article on lies that won't get you into bed quite telling.
    "all-time classic top ten lines" :lol: who made those up?

i've heard of number 2 and 4 actually.. maybe number 7
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    lipsy wrote:
    "all-time classic top ten lines" :lol: who made those up?

I'm not entirely sure - but I think it was probably Spanner or Susie :)
    I've certainly heard a few of them!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    I've certainly heard a few of them!

I feel ashamed that some of my sex even consider using lines of that nature.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I feel ashamed that some of sex even consider using lines of that nature.
    I think the girls should feel ashamed that some of their sex actually fall for it.
  • Options
    thank you for your advice helen. i know he does like me, he's told im mate, but i dont know to what extent! the few times ive met up with im, IVE suggested it+im kind of dying for him to ask to see me.
    He hasnt tried any lines like that thankfully.
    your last words really made strength - at the end of the day, if i sleep with him it was bcos we both liked each other (worst case scenario) and at its best a relationship develops.
    im not going to rush into anything anyway....but i just want to see him more :(
    any more advice guys?
    L+C
  • Options
    I think the girls should feel ashamed that some of their sex actually fall for it.

Indeed, its bad to say it, much worse to accept it.
  • Options
    If I really like a girl I will try and take things slow, so she trusts me before we do anything too sexual. Otherwise she will just think its a sexual fling rather than a 'relationship'. I bet it's the same the other way round. If they're after one thing then they'll get bored and move on, and you're better off without them. The advantage for me is girls often dig guys who take things slow and call them 'sensitive' and 'sweet' and 'really caring, really genuine, really nice' and then somehow really fancy you.
  • Options
    thanx for your reply shyboy. im just worried because obviously every guy is different...so he may just be nice to me until i sleep with him. if i knew this was what he was doing...then fair enough, but its the not knowing where i stand thats driving me mad!!
  • Options
    do you know anyone who knows him who you could ask? he may have spoke to someone about you??
    or is this not a good plan.....?
  • Options
    :'( i just wana know where i stand.....having a crush shouldnt be this hard should it?
  • Options
    No way to know, sorry honey. If I could invent a fortune-telling device that would let you see a bloke's real intentions then I would have done it long, long ago.

Basically, you could wait weeks and months to sleep with a bloke and he could still fuck you off the next day... or you could hop straight into bed with him and develop the most signifigant and lasting relationship of your life. Unless you feel able to talk to him (and that you can trust and believe what he says) then there is always that gamble, it's just a case of instincts and there is always the risk of getting hurt.

Sorry to make you repeat yourself if you've already said, but have you slept with him yet or are you still waiting to do the wild thang? ;)
  • Options
    Good thread! I'll have to try the acne line...! :thumb:
  • Options
    hi guys!
    im wondering...how do you know what a guy wants from you? i.e. whether he just wants a bit of fun+messing around (just sex), or if he actually likes you enough to ask you out?
    yes,this is relating to the same guy in my other thread. ive been thinking....i really like him, but how do i know he isnt just talking to me because he thinks he's gonna get some action???
    im not sure if this would bother me normally....bit of fun and all that, but with this guy i want it to be more+just know il be gutted if i learn he's using me for sex!
    how do you tell??
    L+C

Look, I am at the other end of the rope at the moment, and I tell you what I do.

I know the girl from studying, we worked together in lab. There were a lot of friendly people, talking to her etc, so you have to make the fine difference and let her know that you are a tad more interested: So I asked for her number.
    The next day's evening I called her and had some funny chit-chat. I showed that I enjoyed the conversation, and put in some anecdotes as well, so it does not look as if I am only "yes.... mhmmm.... okay.... yea.... cool..."-ing. So at the end of the call I asked her if she'd fancy to catch up for a drink at thursday evening. I am coming from math excercises from uni and could directly meet up with her. She accepted.

We called it off, because we have a real stressy week, but she suggested to postpone it to next week (so no canceling without backup-plan.)
    We emailed then, because she wanted to send me some handwriting about a subject I couldn't attend, but wasn't able to do it. Moreover did she let me know that she's going home to her town over the weekend, so I responded with, don't bother about the handwriting I am copying from a collegue tomorrow anyway etc, and that it's a pity she's going home, because there is a huge birthday party of my friend going on with other birthday celebrating friends of him, and they rented a big boat on the Donaucanal, with at least 150 people attending, and I'd love to take her along (so a little show of interest: My friends are celebrating, and I'd like to have you with me, i.e. improving an evening with your company, and to introduce you to my friends, which is a personal thing imho.)

I know I let it sound like rocket science, but I am concerned like you that I can seperate myself among all 'just' the friendly people and players.

/edit: about the "men don't get subtle"-thing.

I am sure we DO 'get' the subtle part, but we are not quite able to interpret it, because we've made different good or bad experiences with it.

For example I had a girl give me subtle signs of digging me, and I tried to reciprotate, trying to steer in a position where you can make a move. Do you know how it turned out in the end? She was just teasing me, because she was hot and could! simple as that.

So if a girl is giving you subtle shit it can be one thing or another 180° turned thing. Either she's digging you, or she's teasing you. Either she wants to fuck your brains out, or she REALLY just wants to invite you over at night to play playstation 2 with you (yes! it happened).

So I usually try to interpret it, but in the end if I can't tell which direction the sign is pointing I rather ignore it, before I run in the wrong direction.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Sorry to make you repeat yourself if you've already said, but have you slept with him yet or are you still waiting to do the wild thang? ;)

i havent slept with him yet :( but i think summat may happen tomo nite.

strubbleS, thanx for your interesting POV!
  • Options
    i havent slept with him yet :( but i think summat may happen tomo nite.
    I wouldn't let it happen if you weren't sure