Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Building up immune system...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, almost 2 chuffing years ago now (just before I joined here actually...) I was in hospital for a rather long time, and ill in general with glandular fever (and various other complications from it... don't ask me what, I spent most of my time asleep)

Anywho, since then, my immune system has been completely shot, which is to be expected apparently. Since I have a 5 year old sister, she brings every bug that's going round her school home to me, and as a result, I'm curled up on the settee poorly again today. I can't be naffed with going to the doctors for anything as it's only 5 weeks since I last went with a bug :grump:

Is there anyway I can "help" my immune system to start fighting things a bit better? I really can't afford to keep being run down, it's taking its toll on everything.

I already take multi vitamins, I usually have my "5 a day", even if sometimes it's partly because of smoothies. I wouldn't say I eat brilliantly, but I do eat alot healthier than most people I know that are my age. I do some exercise too, so my body technically should be in some useful shape, but definetely not perfect.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    For my immune system I supplement with a good multivitamin. As additional vitamin and minerals its good to supplement with antioxidants, especially vitamin c and e. Another herbal remedy I sometimes use (especially in the winter) is colostrum.

I forgot, try and stay stress free. Stress will destroy your immune system.
  • Options
    The advice I got from the nursing team who were trying to keep me healthy was at least 5 a day, multi vitamins, at least two good portions of protein a day, at least 10 hours sleep and plenty of fluids.

I'd got back to the doctors, especially if the last problem was so recently, they need to know that you're having recurrent problems.
  • Options
    eat cleanly. i.e no junk foods.

That way, you get a nice spread of protein, vitamins and minerals.
    Oh and drink about 3 litres of water a day too.

Yeah, aim for 7 portions a day of fruit / veg

You only need maybe 7 - 8 hours sleep. IMHO 10 is wayyyyyy too much
  • Options
    So basically double up on everything I've bee doing haha.

Stress elimination is out of the question. I have 2 jobs, a college course and alot of family issues at the minute to deal with. Plus everyone else seems to share all their drama with me. And it's my driving test in the morning. AGAIN. Haha, so I'll hopefully destress a bit of the christmas period.

Scary Monster, I should of said - my doctors are useless. They refused to admit I was ill originally until I was taken into hospital. They kept saying i was "making it up". These are the same doctors who when I fell down some concrete stairs and did my back in, asked me to "touch my toes". And the same ones who try to give me penicillin (or some form of cillin) for EVERYTHING, despite it being in big bold red letters at the top of my screen that I am very much allergic, which we found out the hard way when I was about 1. I can see it from across the room, yet they always manage to miss it :rolleyes:.

Don't get me ranting about my doctors anyway. I'll be here all night. They phoned me in September, complaining I'd missed 3 appointments with no explanation, and could I please come in tomorrow, no fail. Confused, I asked when ig ot there, what appointments I'd missed. Turned out it was routine checks for my implant I had put in in April, and they'd been making these appointments for me - but never sent me the letters. They found them all in a drawer somewhere.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    So basically double up on everything I've bee doing haha.

Stress elimination is out of the question. I have 2 jobs, a college course and alot of family issues at the minute to deal with. Plus everyone else seems to share all their drama with me. And it's my driving test in the morning. AGAIN. Haha, so I'll hopefully destress a bit of the christmas period.

Scary Monster, I should of said - my doctors are useless. They refused to admit I was ill originally until I was taken into hospital. They kept saying i was "making it up". These are the same doctors who when I fell down some concrete stairs and did my back in, asked me to "touch my toes". And the same ones who try to give me penicillin (or some form of cillin) for EVERYTHING, despite it being in big bold red letters at the top of my screen that I am very much allergic, which we found out the hard way when I was about 1. I can see it from across the room, yet they always manage to miss it :rolleyes:.

Don't get me ranting about my doctors anyway. I'll be here all night. They phoned me in September, complaining I'd missed 3 appointments with no explanation, and could I please come in tomorrow, no fail. Confused, I asked when ig ot there, what appointments I'd missed. Turned out it was routine checks for my implant I had put in in April, and they'd been making these appointments for me - but never sent me the letters. They found them all in a drawer somewhere.
    Perhaps undergo yoga? Seriously stress is a MAJOR cause for poor immune system.

Just a general healthy living lowers stress as well plus exercising and all.
  • Options
    If you're doctors is crap then you should consider transferring to another one, if you've got recurrent health problems then you need to have a doctor you can work with.

On the stress line you need to find some way to manage it, the driving test thing will be over soon but make sure you schedule yourself some 'me' time to relax and look after yourself. Does your immune system no good at all, to the extent that I was sent home from university because there was no way I was going to get better with the uni stress hanging over me. It doesn't need to be a lot, but make sure you do it, something like a long bath twice a week, curling up up with junky novel for half an hour 3 times a week. Little things like that can make a big difference, and learn to say NO. You're friends problems are not your problems, listen and give advice by all means, but then try and let go of them rather than taking everything to heart.

If you're ill at the moment then I'd say 10 hours kip isn't over the top, but that's your call. Your immune system will be working hard and it needs energy to do so.
  • Options
    Bite your nails.

You may laugh but it's proven to work. I almost never get ill as a result.
  • Options
    Bite your nails.

You may laugh but it's proven to work. I almost never get ill as a result.

Wish I could. College would have my head off.

College is a major factor in my stress - I got a email from my tutor last night at half 11, telling me if my assignment wasn't in by 10am tomorrow (we don't even have lessons on a Tuesday til half 12 but hey...) she wouldn't mark it for the rest of the college year. Which would mean retaking the year as ourportfolios have to be 100% in everything by June or we fail.

Well I'm still ill, and theres no way I'm dragging myself into college just for that, so I spent over an hour trying to attach my assignment to an email, but for whatever reason, no go. I just emailed her, explaining I wasn't well enough and I'd hand it in ASAP. But there was an unecessary stress right there, depriving me of my bed!
  • Options
    If you're having problems like that with college you need to be talking to your tutor as much in advance as possible and explaining the problems. If you're having problems with your health then you may need doctors letters to support it. From what I understand of your college course you're at college and you're doing grown up professional qualifications and with those comes a new level of discipline, the 'sorry I haven't done it I'm not well' line that was fine at school just won't work any more.

If I sound mean sorry, you do have my sympathy, but you need to try and find a way to make things work.
  • Options
    the 'sorry I haven't done it I'm not well' line that was fine at school just won't work any more.

I have done it. Whats more, she KNOWS I've done it, and she specifically asked me NOT to hand it in early. I was fully prepared to give it her a week and a half ago. I offered her it last Monday and last Friday as well. I haven't chose to be ill on the day of handing it in - there's no problem, except I don't have any way of getting it to her, my parents work full time, they haven't got time to go hand it in (which is what she's expecting me to do) and I went to the bloody chemists today (2 streets away) and the chemist asked if I needed a seat and a glass of water - apparently I'd gone all grey. So I'm not up to wlaking all the way to college, and searching for her to be honest!

ETA: And yes I am doing a professional standards course, and I actually qualified as a beautician last year, so I know how the course works. I had this teacher last year also, and none of my work for her or for any other lecturer has ever been late, if anything it's normally early. I'm more up to date with all my practical work than most girls in my class, and have got arrangements to be fully up to scratch by January 4th by hopes, whereas some girls are at a point of being forced off the course they're so behind. So I'm not exactly the worst student in the world.
  • Options
    Do you have friends who live near you who do the same course as you?

What exactly does colostrum do?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Do you have friends who live near you who do the same course as you?

Nope. My mates on the course all live outside of Stafford,and the only girls who live anywhere near me, I don't know exactly where they live and have no way of getting in touch so I can't ask them to take my stuff in.

I'll just have to go in tomorrow. They'll only moan that "if you're ill you should be at home", but never mind. They'll regret it when I'm off again all through January with another bug because I haven't let my body recover from this. :)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

What exactly does colostrum do?
    I just googled it and got this.
    http://www.colostrumcentral.com/colostrumfaqs.htm
  • Options
    I am sorry that I misunderstood you, I interpreted it that your assignment was late.

If you do go in tomorrow to hand it in, and feel horrendous when you get there then do go back home to bed as soon as you feel up to getting back again, don't stay there if it's not going to do your health any good, and if you can't get picked up til later then try crashing out in some kind of common room/medical room.
  • Options
    I haven't been ill in over a year (touch wood) and I put it down to my diet and my mental state.
  • Options
    Your doctors sound poo! :(

About the de-stress thing. Maybe take time out for yourself and do things you enjoy. Oh and wrap yourself up (or you lil sis) in clingfilm so she doesnt contaminate you :P
  • Options
    My doctors are poo. However, they have advised that I have the rest of this week off to recover. Assignment wise, I don't know how it's going to get there. I've got to go back to the doctors tomorrow, so I might drop it off then.

I'm building myself a glass bubble. So fed up of being ill! :(
  • Options
    Take echinacea. Its a great herb which increases white blood cells
  • Options
    TammyGTammyG Posts: 15 Settling in
    Hi Nikki,
    I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly, and that you've got so much going on. It does sound rather stessful.
    To help you cope effectively, do make sure you look after yourself. You can also find the most unlikely things to be a health boost. :)
  • Options
    TammyG wrote:
    Hi Nikki,
    I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly, and that you've got so much going on. It does sound rather stessful.
    To help you cope effectively, do make sure you look after yourself. You can also find the most unlikely things to be a health boost. :)
    Feeling frazzled? Anxiety levels on overload? A dose of deep breathing and cup of chamomile tea could help; but so can having a pet. Whether your animal companion is a tarantula, budgie or hamster, studies show that pets can help ease your nerves and boost your heart health to boot. Experts say a pet can reduce feelings of loneliness and help aid recovery after illness. And the simple action of stroking a dog or cat, even watching fish in a tank stimulates the production of endorphins, natural feel-good chemicals and reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol.

I cant say I feel calm having two puppies running around the house. lol
  • Options
    Haha yeah, my dog's the only reason I got up this morning, I fancied a lie in but oh no. :)
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, been lazy :p But my dad mentioned it to me last night. Olive leaf. Take one capsule a day. He found it when on a trip to Arizona and has been taking it for years, says he doesn't take it as often in the summer though, and he usually spends the whole winter sick. Flu, colds, everything. He says its been great, hasn't had a winter sickness in those 2 years.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, been lazy :p But my dad mentioned it to me last night. Olive leaf. Take one capsule a day. He found it when on a trip to Arizona and has been taking it for years, says he doesn't take it as often in the summer though, and he usually spends the whole winter sick. Flu, colds, everything. He says its been great, hasn't had a winter sickness in those 2 years.
    correct. :p

Olive leaf

And Echinacea
  • Options
    I hear kissing boosts your immune system. I imagine it has to be different people each time though.
  • Options
    I hear kissing boosts your immune system. I imagine it has to be different people each time though.
    Not if the other person has germs.