Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Leving food out of the fridge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I left out some curry and rice in the kitchen last night and put it in the fridge this morning. Will it be ok to eat if its heated properly?

Comments

• Options
    Yes. Don't get me started about fridges and food. We have been eating food for thousands, if not millions of years, fridges have been around for the last 60 or so. Enough said!
  • Options
    yeah probably. Ive done that loads and im still alive, nor have I ever had food poisoning
    Mind you, if its chicken or pork then i wouldnt.
  • Options
    yeah probably. Ive done that loads and im still alive, nor have I ever had food poisoning
    Mind you, if its chicken or pork then i wouldnt.

No, no... Cooked chicken or pork is just as safe as cooked anything else. Especially if you are going to reheat it to kill off any new germs.

Food, especially curry, tastes so much better when it is left to settle and marinate for a day or two.

On a serious note, just make sure you cooked it properly to start with, and you will be fine :nervous: hopefully :eek:

:)
  • Options
    :yes: Curry is ALWAYS better the next day.
    Still wouldnt risk it wth certain meats.
  • Options
    :yes: Curry is ALWAYS better the next day.
    Still wouldnt risk it wth certain meats.

STOP!!!!!!

Risk it, once it is cooked it is dead.

Which brings me onto fridges - biggest killer in the kitchen......:banghead:
  • Options
    Actually, I would be less worried about the curry and more worried about the rice. Rice is notorious for food poisoning. If I were you (and they hadn't been put together before they were left last night) I would make some new rice, but risk the curry, as long as you heat it really well.
  • Options
    You'll be fine, i've eaten stuff like seafood/pork/chicken which has been left in the side in the kitchen for a day or two and been fine many times.

Just reheat it properly and cook it properly in the first place :P
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've always reheated rice and curry for breakfast that's been out all night. Never been ill from it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    Actually, I would be less worried about the curry and more worried about the rice. Rice is notorious for food poisoning. If I were you (and they hadn't been put together before they were left last night) I would make some new rice, but risk the curry, as long as you heat it really well.

I agree!

Rice shouldn't be messed around with as it is full of poisonous little spores, Which can't be killed by reheating.

As for the curry, Just eat it, Makesure it is piping hot!
  • Options
    It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's piping hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.

- FSA

Still, I eat it anyway and have never been ill.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    - FSA

Still, I eat it anyway and have never been ill.

Usually the rice will just make you puke, or sit on the bog all day!

Maybe you have done it that many times you have become immune :p
  • Options
    I didn't know that about rice so thanks for the heads up. Nothing worse than poo squirting and dripping from your bum :yuck:
  • Options
    Don't eat the rice, you can get severe food poisioning from rice that has been left out but the curry is fine.
    They used to use curry to actually preserve meat.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kate1 wrote:

Absolutely!

ETA:

From the Food Standards Agency (FSA)
    Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's piping hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.
  • Options
    I went to a party a while ago and there was this rather nice looking rice salad on offer. Didn't have any but a few did and they we're all ill the next day as the silly bint who made it, made it 3 days before the party.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    ETA:

From the Food Standards Agency (FSA)

You edited to add somethign I had already posted. :p
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So long as you nuke it until it's steaming then it'll be fine.

Curry is a natural preservative, hence half of the reason for its existance.
  • Options
    Notorious R.I.C.E