Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Christmas Stress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone find buying stuff stressful at Christmas? Never mind the queues in shops, decorating the house without it looking too tacky or too underdone or your granny getting pissed and making a tit of herself (the old flase teeth trick)
But nowadays you have to work out what to buy without looking like a cheapskate. I think anything less than £20 (e.g. giving a HMV voucher) looks miserly (which is bad because I am a student = poor) What would you consider cheap?

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You can get some nice gifts for under £20. Nobody needs to know how much you spent. If you get a well thought out gift that is appreciated then it doesn't matter if you spent £2.50 or £250. Don't just go into a shop and buy candles for all the girls and lynx for all the guys (which is what my brother normally does :yeees: )

I am in a good position financially at the moment so I have spent quite a bit on my people (and I am only buying for 4). But it doesn't matter how much I have spent as I know that my presents are things that they will all appreciate and enjoy.
  • Options
    I go with the theory that it's the thought that counts.

And if people think Im being "cheap" with my presents then they dont deserve me spending my money on them in the first place.

Im guilty of going overboard at Christmas with my presents though, not because I feel like I need to buy expensive things, I just like to spoil my nearest and dearest.
  • Options
    the trick is to buy stuff that's under £20 that doesnt look cheap :p

which reminds me... I aught to go xmas shopping this week.

I may well look in the toy shops even though I've already got my lil brothers present, yay :D
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:

And if people think Im being "cheap" with my presents then they dont deserve me spending my money on them in the first place.

I agree 100%. I know I would much rather recieve something that I know somebody took time and thought of me when they bought whether it be 50 cents of $50.

I rarely spend over $20 on a gift. Even for my nearest and dearest. They know I can't afford anymore and its all good.

There are rude people like the boyfriends family where money is all that matters. How much did you spend on him? What did you get him? Thats all? *snob* Bluegh. But as lovely glittery said, if they are nasty enough to complain they dont' deserve it. They could get nothing.

I also don't buy gift cards because they they know exactly how much you spent ;)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    lovely glittery
    I've just added a wad of cash to your Christmas card :p
  • Options
    I've only had to buy for four people. I've spent about £20 each on three of them.

Spent a bit more on my girlfriend though.
  • Options
    Tip for a good present: (for the person you're getting the gift for) find out who their favourite football team/popstar/actor/whatever is, track them down and get them to make out an autograph to the gift receiver.
    Thr trick is to find something that the receiver would probably like to begin with like a book about that person/team then they'll find the suprise inside!
  • Options
    no i love christmas shopping! i'll prefer it when i can spend more on people though.

this year my limit is £10 per person..but then i am buying for 15 people.
  • Options
    I have spent too much money on my other half, I can't resist spoiling him because he's so cute :razz: and it's been a rough couple of months. Went a bit wild buying things for my niece, too, but I keep seeing perfect gifts. When I have the money to shop for presents I don't find it stressful at all, it is the best buzz in the world :D

Generally the presents I buy vary hugely in price. It depends on what I see that is the gift for that person. I agree that it's the thought that counts but obviously it is nice to get something thoughtful and expensive that other people can covet when you have your prezzie comparison conversations/competitions with your mates (or is it just us who haven't grown out of that? :p)
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:

:yes:

I love going shopping for people's presents, I always look for something the person can have a laugh at or something a bit quirky. Whether it costs 5 quid or 50 quid (within reason though :nervous:)

This is why I also don't get little Veruca Salts who go on shopping expditions with Mummy and Daddy choosing stuff that they want. Christmas isn't about getting stuff that you necessarily want or need or that costs the world, it's the fact that somebody's thought about you- and as my Mam once there's plenty of kids who don't get sweet fuck all for Xmas (not her exact words) so be grateful for what you get and don't whinge.
  • Options
    I'd love to be able to spend a million dollars on family and friends at Christmas. Not because they need it, but they deserve it. And I love to shop for others.

This year (although I never usually have alot of money) I'm spending a bare minimum. My whole family have decided to cut back. We're all older now, so it doesn't matter how many presents we get, it's just nice to see someones put a bit of thought into your prezzie.

Although, I have to say, whilst I adore Christmas shopping, it's hard to find a decent present for minimum money. I don't just wanna buy and pair of socks. I wanna buy something extra too, but it's hard with prices nowadays.
  • Options
    i think this year with my friends i'll get a bracelet from accessorise and a bathbomb from lush or something. or a little purse from accessorise. i love accessorise. :D
  • Options
    Oh I think Christmas shopping can be stressful when you just can't find presents for people you have to give something to. When you find the perfect gift for someone of course it's lovely and you get that little buzz from knowing that you'll make a loved one happy - but when you leave your feet out on the streets and just can't find anything for your mother, father, sister, etc., it's just horribly stressful. Especially when the clock's ticking and days seem to fly!

And well, over here we get the added stress factor of it being horribly hot outside... imagine treading through the shops and streets swarming with people at 32ºC?
  • Options
    Fuck, I've got a huge family to buy for. Mum, dad, step mum, step dad, sister (in Canada - so delivery costs a fortune), 3 step sisters, 1 step brother, 1 niece, 1 friend, 2 cousins, 2 step grandparents, I think that's it. Oh, and my dad's birthday on boxing day. And my step sisters birthday this week. And secret santa at work. It's times like this I'm glad I'm single.

I tend to avoid any of that overpriced Christmas tat that they sell in department stores, where you pay twice as much for something because it's in a Christmassy packet. Or those games that you spend Christmas day playing then never touch again (though there is the odd rarity of a game with a bit of lifespan which my step-dad loves). Plus I have access to their suppliers so I can get that sort of stuff half price if needs be.

And I also tend to try and avoid the sort of stuff that's always expensive, like DVD's, perfume and alcohol, because it costs a fortune to get everyone stuff like that. For the girls I usually order jewellery off the internet. That way it's fairly affordable, but doesn't come in an Elizabeth Duke box, and is a bit more unique. That or accessories like gloves, scarfs or belts so you don't have to worry about sizes. I have this gift of despite not being gay, knowing what looks good on girls, which comes in handy this time of year. Maybe something to do with having millions of female relatives.

I always find blokes hard to buy for, because you can't just buy them something pretty, it has to do something. And you can't really get them a DVD or CD unless you know they want it, or you'll end up having to get them one of the usual Xmas DVD releases that are just overpriced cash-ins. I usually go for stupid games or gadgets, because you can get them cheap if you shop around.

And kids are easy to buy for. The Works for books, sales for clothes, supermarkets for toys. Sorted.
  • Options
    Thats what the internet is for, avoiding queues. ;)

I only have a small family so I only have to buy a couple of presents (save lots of money). :yippe:
  • Options
    I have 25 adults, 4 kids and 6 dogs to buy for at Christmas. That's just my immediate family and my best friend and her husband btw!

You people with 4 people to buy for have got it easy :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I have spent too much money on my other half, I can't resist spoiling him because he's so cute :razz: and it's been a rough couple of months.

Same. I promised myself I wouldn't spend much but I've been quite naughty really. I've spent up to £100 so far, and am currently looking for more, including some Metallica autographs on Ebay. He loves them, so it's the most unique present I can think of. I'm bound to find more stuff for him like.

Other than that I've spent (or will be spending) £20 on my mum and dad each, £15 on my sister, £10 each for chris's mum, dad and brother, my best friends £5 each, and various other friends who I see not so often, but don't want to break the tradition of gift buying, between £3-£5. Possibly £5 for my nan as well, because I love her. It adds up unfortunetly. :crying: Hopefully though, I'm getting a discount card for Boots today, so I'll get more presents from there :D then I get Advantage card points as well and there's the lovely 3 for 2!

Everyone else can have a card :)
  • Options
    i love crimbo shoppin

love buying it all, getting it home

love wrapping

love puttin my deccies up

my financial situation is poo right now, so for all my girly mates, i went primark and got them PJ`s and matching slippers :)

and for aunties i got them bags and matching purses from primark

all look good and are well under £20!
  • Options
    I like spending lots on people but unfortunately this year I'm not in a position to do so. Luckily everyone knows the situation and I'm sure they won't mind! Still, would have been nice :(
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I have 25 adults, 4 kids and 6 dogs to buy for at Christmas. That's just my immediate family and my best friend and her husband btw!

You people with 4 people to buy for have got it easy :p

Damn! And I thought I might be going overboard sticking my grandma on the list (she would make 5 :p)
  • Options
    I don't find it stressful at all :) I usually start pretty early and then have a break in the middle and then realise I haven't finished and have a mini panic two weeks into december :D I refuse to leave it til the last minute though, so I can imagine why people who do that might be stressed. I normally have around 20 people to buy for. The only person I find it difficult to buy for is my dad, but even he has sorted that out this year by buying something for himself and then asking if I'd pay for it for his christmas present!
  • Options
    It only takes me one day to complete my Christmas shopping. That day is the
    23rd.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I havent started yet but I do whet I'm getting my mum and thats it. I only have to buy for 4/5 people this year. Mum, Dad, Brother, Brothers girlfriend. I have a silly presnt for my boss as well, as hes moving into my office and I need to butter him up. I havent even started my Xmas list, but my parents are giving me and my brother money this year anyway as theres nothing that we want. I can cope with Xmas just about, but my mum has to work a twelve hour shift on X,as day so its just going to be me and my dad on the actual day.
  • Options
    I'm being a cheap skate this year and have a budget of spending £70 max this year. I'm just so poor right now.

I'm spending £30 each on my parents then £10 on my step dad. Not sure if I can afford to get my two brothers and little sister a present yet. My sister is only two so like, my Mum understands. My brother is 18 and can't afford to get me anything either so thats cool and I doubt my brother of 10 will even notice. He never expects anything from me. I feel guilty though so I might slip them a bit of money or buy something nearer to the time if I have any spare cash.

Not buying any presents for friends this year. I do for birthdays but rarely for christmas. I never do really. Did when I was back in school/college but like, yeah. It doesn't happen anymore. Both me and my best mate usually get each other something but we are both too poor so thats sorted.

HAHA. I sound like such a scrooge :yeees:

I'm half way through my christmas shopping. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow morning when I go shopping :D

I'm so glad I don't have a boyfriend this year. I always end up spending a fortune and I really don't have it this year. Also, they are fucking hard to buy for :o
  • Options
    I spent about £25 on 5 people thanks to Primark and Music Zone.
  • Options
    You love Primark don't you Lea? :p
  • Options
    You love Primark don't you Lea? :p
    I do indeedy. I'm getting money for Xmas to buy clothes and I'm planning on spending most of it in Primark :lol:
  • Options
    I have a budget of £45 to spread over 9 people. I may up it to £50 cause it'll be a bit awkward if my mum asks what I got the boyfriend for Christmas :o.
  • Options
    My bfs been really hard to buy for as he doesnt give me any clues to what he wants so im really stuck with him, also im struggling with money as im a student i havent really got that much lol so im gettin a bit stressed about that
  • Options
    I was a bit miffed because my best friend was buying for me for christmas (like a round robin) and he knows me really well, but they've just shoved this other guy inbetween us on the rota. He doesn't know me at all. Not that what I get bothers me, I just wanted my best friend to get me soemthing. Yea, i bum him.