Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Citalopram

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone been prescribed Citalopram? I'm a week into starting a course of the medication after fluoxetine didn't work, and am experiencing intense suicidal thoughts, and I'm really really scared. I don't know if this is the medication or not, hopefully there's someone out there who can share their experiences with me...
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    i took that a few years ago and this is not going to help much but there is nothing that stands out about it so im presuming that it was ok for me although n saying that i did take an antidepressant that made me feel kind of numb and emotionless but i cant say for sure it was citalopram.
  • Options
    I'm on it but I never had suicidal thoughts, although it does say its one of the side effects. Go back to your GP asap and talk to them about it
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    That must be very distressing - really sorry to hear this. I understand that anti-depressants, including an SSRI such as this one, can take a while before they start being effective. TheSite has an introduction to anti-depressants (and not a replacement of your GP's advice), as well as a brief guide to understanding depression.

In any case, I agree you should talk to your GP as soon as you can. In the meantime, if you feel you'd like to talk with someone about your thoughts, you might want to ring the Samaritans phone line on 08457 90 90 90.