Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Where Do You Find a Real DK?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Every Doner Kebab place I see everywhere does junk like this

http://gallery.hd.org/_c/food/doner-kebab-2-DHD.jpg.html

Which is made from all the bits that get thrown away and is made in a factory, frozen and sold to chippies, and other outlets.

Unfortunately this is now the only kind I see.

However when I first saw them in the UK (and when I went to Barcelona) they looked like this ..

http://www.fotoaleph.com/Exposiciones/CarneYCoran/20501675.JPG

or this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/D%C3%B6ner_kebab_slicing.jpg

Handmade from real cuts of lamb, layered to make the final product, not the minced up and formed rubbish above.

If there was a campaign for Real Ale equivalent - then that's what I'm looking for.

Comments

• Options
    In Canada they were called Gyro's and I think fairly healthy meal

http://www.jellingspot.com/gyros-gr_deployment.htm

BTW anyone know hwa language this is?

http://www.gyros-gr.com/gyros/index.php

I'm guessing it's greek? As I don't have a greek font on my PC?

DSCF0038.JPG
  • Options
    A guess would be Czech Republic if they have a language.
  • Options
    The best kebab I ever had was in Kavos in Corfu, it had chips in the pitta and everything :heart:

It wasnt til the next day I realised it was probably cat I'd eaten or something.

It's a chicken kebab for me all the way now after seeing a Life of Grime programme closing down a kebab "meat" factory :sour:
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:

It's a chicken kebab for me all the way now after seeing a Life of Grime programme closing down a kebab "meat" factory :sour:

Not seen that programme but my dad did some repair work on a freezer for a place that makes the rolls of doner kebabs, it's just junk mostly these days .. the only way to find a good one is to look for the layers of lamb instead of the minced ones, I thought I'd found one in Kings cross but couldn't find it on my last visit.

Doner Kebabs used to be my favourite food like 15 years ago when the were the real thing. They used to be my weekly treat.
  • Options
    They look the same to me!?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    They look the same to me!?

You've got to look at how it's constructed.

In Barcelona I walked past a Kebab shop and went to order and my friend said I'm not eating some crappy Kebab, but I could tell by the layering it was the real thing, he then tried a bit of mine and the entire group ordered as well.

but their meat was like nothing I've ever tasted, they had Beef, chicken and lamb. The lamb was so delicate it virtually had no taste, the beef was so delicate it tasted like our lamb. Was well weird, when I asked the guy behind the counter he said yes, this meat is from Germany and there they do not allow cows to be pumped with homornes, etc so you get this delicate flavour to the meat.
  • Options
    You've got to look at how it's constructed.

In Barcelona I walked past a Kebab shop and went to order and my friend said I'm not eating some crappy Kebab, but I could tell by the layering it was the real thing, he then tried a bit of mine and the entire group ordered as well.

but their meat was like nothing I've ever tasted, they had Beef, chicken and lamb. The lamb was so delicate it virtually had no taste, the beef was so delicate it tasted like our lamb. Was well weird, when I asked the guy behind the counter he said yes, this meat is from Germany and there they do not allow cows to be pumped with homornes, etc so you get this delicate flavour to the meat.

Lol you sound so odd :p

I've never really looked at how it's constructed. Maybe i should start!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Lol you sound so odd :p

I've never really looked at how it's constructed. Maybe i should start!

That's probably cos a young thing like you has only been around long enough to have the crap stuff .. it's like MacDonalds and Pot Noodles, 10 / 15 years ago they were soo much nicer before scientists managed to make them cheaper, but still look the same.
  • Options
    That's probably cos a young thing like you has only been around long enough to have the crap stuff .. it's like MacDonalds and Pot Noodles, 10 / 15 years ago they were soo much nicer before scientists managed to make them cheaper, but still look the same.

Oh the good old days eh :p
  • Options
    I have had one of these in a very posh restaurant kind of behind selfridges - but it was a super snooty and quite expensive.

linky