Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Studio London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I feel a bit of a thread whore today,but I'm rather excited, so I thought I'd let you know.

A while ago, someone posted a link to this place in some thread and I went on, just being nosy, and entered a competition.

I've just been called and told I've won a free photoshoot for me and a friend, comprising of a mini facial, hand massage, manicure, hairstyling, make up, photoshoot and champagne (god I love being 18 - he did say there was lemonade if I didn't fancy the champagne.)

So yes, I really can't think where I saw the link etc, but thank you to who ever posted it - I'm very excited now!! :D

Comments

• Options
    Thats great!

Im sure that should lower your stress levels. ;)
  • Options
    Haha yes! I can't wait, am going to book it for sometime in January I think, so I can organise getting there and stuff :) Nice treat for me after Christmas too!
  • Options
    are you sure this aint one of those cons where you get all that, but you have to pay if you want to keep the pictures? ive heard about them...

not trying to put a dampner on it or anything.
  • Options
    No idea. I'll probably have to pay for the pictures yeah, but tbh, suits me fine, nice day out.

I think whoever posted the link had been there before or something, so I'll have a nosey and ask them :)
  • Options
    Yeah sorry to burst your bubble but they're a bit of a con. Pretty much everyone gets called up and told they've won.
    I didn't take them up on the offer when they rang me a few years ago, but my friend went to a different company's one. She said it was ok, and she bought a photo but it is a complete rip-off. You might as well go though just to be pampered!
  • Options
    Ooh that was me who posted that.

To anyone who thinks its a con, its not.

I won the same package as you. I cant rememer how many photos were free, were you told? You definately get what you won for free, but they will lead you on showing you all of the photos, telling you how lovely, gorgeous and sexy you are, and then explain the prices of their packages which are hundreds/thousands, and how to pay for them weekly/monthly etc.

If you just want the free ones then be strong minded and just say no and that you cant afford to buy any extra ones.

It seems they employ people who are unbelieavably good at being persuasive, the best thing to do is to not wait for the sales speech but soon as you walk into the room where they show you the photos, tell them that you want to choose your free photos and that you dont want to buy any extra.

If your weak minded and can't say no then i would suggest you dont go there as you will end up buying it all and regretting it.
  • Options
    Haha, I'm a strong willed person so I wont buy anything I can't afford, and will have no problem telling them no.

He might of told me about free pictures/costs, I can't remember. I've got to ring him back later on, so I'll sort through details and ring back :D I'm definetly going though, just for the day out and the pampering.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    Haha, I'm a strong willed person so I wont buy anything I can't afford, and will have no problem telling them no.

He might of told me about free pictures/costs, I can't remember. I've got to ring him back later on, so I'll sort through details and ring back :D I'm definetly going though, just for the day out and the pampering.

If i remember rightly you should get two free photos

When are you going? You'll see exactly what i mean about their attempts at persuading when your there!

Apart from that bit, i found the whole thing really good. You wont actually ger pampered very much with the package you won. A quick nail paint, wash your face and put make up on, then hair done. But i still found it nice to have all that done for me. The lady who did my hair made it look so good and i was able to replicate her technique at home!

The actual photoshoot was fun. Im really bad for not wanting to have my photo taken normally, and i hate posing, but they made me feel really comfortable and tried so many different positions and stuff.

I took a wide range of clothing, from posh dressy stuff to really casual things.

Im almost excited for you! I'd like to go again.
  • Options
    Ooh two pictures? That'd be rather snazzy if that's what I've won.

Think I'll go sometime in January,I said I'd ring him after I'd looked at all how I was going to get there etc. To be honest, I think I'll be the same as you - just finding it nice to have it all done for me. Plus they'll paint my nails!! I'm awful at painting my own nails (you'd never believe I'm a qualified nail painter as such haha)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Ooh that was me who posted that.

To anyone who thinks its a con, its not.

from what you type it appears to be, the sole intention of getting you there is to try and sell you something...surely??

for every couple of people who refuse completely there will be a couple who pay the extortionate prices for the pictures.

this type of thing happens all the time, and i dont see it as a prize as such...just a different way of selling.

just like the timeshare cons where they say they will give you so much money or free gifts to listen to their sales pitch...thats a con as well.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:

this type of thing happens all the time, and i dont see it as a prize as such...just a different way of selling.

I see getting £125 worth of a day out for free as a prize, even if they are going to shove sales own my throat to be honest.
  • Options
    As long as you don't buy anything they're not conning you. Just the mugs who go along with it.

So hoorah to you and have an amaze time! :razz:
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    I see getting £125 worth of a day out for free as a prize, even if they are going to shove sales own my throat to be honest.

fair enough, im sure you'll have a good time.

im probably just being to wary...i always am of these sort of things.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    from what you type it appears to be, the sole intention of getting you there is to try and sell you something...surely??

It would only be a con if they deprived people of their free prize.

If people buy more photos when they didnt intend to then thats their fault for not saying no.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    Pretty much everyone gets called up and told they've won.
    I didn't take them up on the offer when they rang me a few years ago,

Just suddenly thought - why would you deliberately enter a competition with this as the prize if you didn't want it anyway/thought it was a con, if you won?
  • Options
    I was going to reply and say be very wary of them trying to convince you to buy stuff - they will get even more excited if you say you have no money because then they get to sell you a lovely loan to cover the cost of buying any pictures you can't afford.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    Just suddenly thought - why would you deliberately enter a competition with this as the prize if you didn't want it anyway/thought it was a con, if you won?

to be honest, I can't remember entering it! It might have been something where there were several other prizes, I'm really not sure, it was years ago.
    I guess it's just cos it's got that con stigma attached to it - pushy sales people and people standing in the street advertising it to young impressionable teenage girls.
    I don't necessarily think it's a con, as Blah said, as long as you just say no to buying the photos then it's fine, and you'll really enjoy it I'm sure.:)
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:

just like the timeshare cons where they say they will give you so much money or free gifts to listen to their sales pitch...thats a con as well.

This isn't related at all, but I just wanted to say that time shares are not cons. My parents had an RCI time share for as long as I've been alive. So they make you listen to stuff and shove scrambled eggs and bagles down your throat, but vacationing anywhere any time and staying in personal mini condos as opposed to hotels or wherever you stay is not a bad deal :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    This isn't related at all, but I just wanted to say that time shares are not cons. My parents had an RCI time share for as long as I've been alive. So they make you listen to stuff and shove scrambled eggs and bagles down your throat, but vacationing anywhere any time and staying in personal mini condos as opposed to hotels or wherever you stay is not a bad deal :p

ok ok. i disagree, bit if you've had good experiences then fine. im just curious to as why if things are so good they need to use these underhand tactics thats all. if they were magnificent, they'd attract their own customers in normals ways...thats all. enough.
  • Options
    Banks do the same thing. Nobody ever says they are "underhanded." Enough.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I have been on one of these. As long as they dont ask for a deposit or anything, you will be fine. There are a lot that are cons, but I had a lovely day out in Manchester, all for free (bat my train tickets of course). Champagne, nails done, hair done, make up etc. Had a good giggle, and got a free pic out of it.
    You will have a great day I am sure, and I want to see anything you get done :)