Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Don't know what is going on

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a sort of spin off from my other " Virtual Drive " thread.

For the last 2 day's i've had sever trouble when botting up the pc. The screen stays black nothing loads at all. I have to switch the pc off and on numerous times on the base unit itself, come in and out of safe mode and try loading the last good config, also numerous times before the pc will boot up.

However since i have come from work around half 6 i have only managed to get to the desktop TWICE. Once it has booted up it gives me an error message about a missing dll regarding logitech webcam. After that Windows Live Messenger appears as usual but is promptly followed by an error and closes. Firefox also does the same as does it seems every other .exe file on here.

I'm completely at a loss as to what is going on here or as to what is the cause and i need urgent help.

The system is clean of virus' trojans sypware malware basically all the usual shite we would tell someone in this situation to scan for.

I'd rather not have to format but as a last resort i will. Thankfully i have an external HD to back things up to just need to back up the main drive and all thats done.

Please help :(

Comments

• Options
    Haven't read your other thread, but sounds like its just random errors on your computer - Format would be my option:)
  • Options
    Format is looking extremely likely to be honest. I dont think it's just errors i think there is something on the pc though how that could have happened with the amount of software i use weekly to keep it clean and free of virus' and trojans is beyond me.

FWIW, 3 attempts later i managed to get to the desktop. No error messages as of yet which has surprised me.

If i'm getting a black screen and nothing coming up, no desktop nothing, it's not loading it's config files or whatever is it ? So what could cause that to happen ...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Try a system repair before formatting.
  • Options
    True, that might work - Worked for my Blue screen!
  • Options
    Try a system repair before formatting.

This is the first thing you should do if you are having problems.

Formatting without anything else is stupid.
  • Options
    I tried system repair yesterday when it would not boot up and it came back with " Everything is working perfectly ". It tested the drives, the memory just everything.

Odd