Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shakespeare

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I dunno why but I suddenly want to watch Othello again. Heh. Maybe Shakespeare is underrated.

What's everyone's favourite plays and stuff? And where can you see them? :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Merchant of Venice. By far the funniest play of all of them and has my favourite line of all Shakespeare.

Shylock: My own flesh and blood to rebel!
    Solanio: Out upon it, old carrion! Rebels it at these years?

Classic.
  • Options
    I dunno why but I suddenly want to watch Othello again. Heh. Maybe Shakespeare is underrated.

What's everyone's favourite plays and stuff? And where can you see them? :(

Watch Othello? What the fuck are you on about ya cunt? The play is fucking amazing. It's my favourite Shakespeare play. After that it's Hamlet and King Lear.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Watch Othello? What the fuck are you on about ya cunt?

I want to watch Othello! The play...
    The play is fucking amazing. It's my favourite Shakespeare play. After that it's Hamlet and King Lear.

Othello is my fave, maybe McBeth then. There's a fair few I haven't seen however. Where does one find a good performance though? Schools put them on but the acting is so weeeeeeeeeeeaaaaak. :(
  • Options
    Othello is fantastic. I don't know enough Shakespeare, that and Romeo & Juliet are the only two I feel I know well. Will be (re)studying Macbeth and Midsummer Night's Dream next semester, though.

I saw Anthony & Cleopatra at The Globe not so long back, and even though I didn't know the play beforehand it was incredible. Everyone should go see Shakespeare at The Globe.
  • Options
    I want to watch Othello! The play...

Othello is my fave, maybe McBeth then. There's a fair few I haven't seen however. Where does one find a good performance though? Schools put them on but the acting is so weeeeeeeeeeeaaaaak. :(

Sorry was pissed this morning and haven't a clue what the fuck I was at.

I seen a good Shakespeare performance in Dublin last year. Few and far between though.
  • Options
    Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite Shakespeare play is The Tempest. I can't imagine how many times I've read it, and I have several different film versions of it from surreal cartoon interpretations to straight theatrical recordings.

I do also adore As You Like It, Love's Labour's Lost, King Lear and The Winter's Tale. Among others, of course! It's impossible to pick and choose among WS because there are so few duds.

I have seen quite a lot of Shakespeare in my time, usually locally during the RSC tours -- though when I was studying in Lancaster there were a fair few student productions, mainly of the comedies. The RSC do have a slight tendency to put on the tragedies more often than not. The last I saw was Titus Andronicus in Newcastle, and while it was entertaining and very well-acted, it's not a personal favourite of mine. Before that was A Midsummer Night's Dream which was really fantastic, especially the costume element and the set pieces. I was really in awe :thumb:
  • Options
    Mmmm, difficult to name one favourite..
    I'd have to say Macbeth.. although Othello is also a classic.

For comedy I'd say Twelfth Night...

I can't even begin to say how much I envy you briggi (and all you British folk) who get to see Shakespeare played by the RSC though :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Aswell as Merchant which I think is his best, I'm also a massive fan of Lear which was the basis for the Japanese classic Ran, but I've only seen one production (interestingly enough at my old school) where the lead role did justice to the script. Lear is possibly the hardest of all characters to pull off and this guy was breathtakingly good. Not bad for a teenager.
  • Options
    King Lear for me
  • Options
    I love shakespear - I think most people are put off by the language but when you get past it you realise he was writing plays for ordinary people and they are entertaining.
  • Options
    I don't really know much Shakespeare - school introduced me to Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet (both of which I love still). Someone bought me a childs adaptation of A Midsummer Nights Dream when I was younger too, and I loved that at the time - couldn't tell you much about it now.

I'd love to go see one performed on stage though.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    The Taming of the Shrew is my fave, although I also love Othello and Macbeth... and and and....

Take a trip to Stratford upon Avon Shy boy :p
  • Options
  • Options
    Henry V (the Kenneth Branagh film versions has to be in my top 10 films) and Richard III.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I love shakespear - I think most people are put off by the language but when you get past it you realise he was writing plays for ordinary people and they are entertaining.

The language is a piece of cake compared to the likes of Chaucer the tosser.
  • Options
    Much ado is probably my fav, love it.
  • Options
    Othello, King lear,The Tempest, Macbeth are my top favs, love his feel for words and his strong sense of the human condition. Also a fan of the great film directors interpretations of WS, such as Orson Welles, Roman Polanski, Akira Kurosawa, Peter Greenaway....