Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Ashes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
:thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to support whoever wins like Kermit :p Just kidding

Come on England!!!!

Going to be tough for us to keep the Ashes, especially with the injury problems we have, should be a good series but unfortunately I don't have sky but I'm hoping we'll get the highlights at a reasonable time on normal tv, anyone know if channel 5 have got the highlights??
  • Options
    I don't usually like cricket, but I enjoyed this last year. Have a feeling they're gonna get spanked this time though. England do this in every sport though. Give one big performance every 30 or so years, and get another bunch of people hooked on dross for the next 30 years. The rugby and football teams have already done it. Now it's cricket's turn.
  • Options
    I'm going to support whoever wins like Kermit :p Just kidding

Come on England!!!!

Going to be tough for us to keep the Ashes, especially with the injury problems we have, should be a good series but unfortunately I don't have sky but I'm hoping we'll get the highlights at a reasonable time on normal tv, anyone know if channel 5 have got the highlights??
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6103644.stm
  • Options
    England are gonna get stuffed. Can't wait :D

And if they, by some miracle win, I can support them too. Fantastic :D
  • Options
    England aren't as strong this series as they were when they regained the Ashes last year but it's gonna be a close series.

The Aussies are a class side as they always will be but the main players are all on the way out of the game, the likes of Warne, McGrath, Ponting etc.

We've got the likes of Pietersen, Cook, Bell who are all relative newcomers to test cricket but have taken to it like ducks to water. Then you have the experienced main players like Flintoff, Hoggard and Strauss.

England haven't been the same since Simon Jones picked up that horrible injury and have struggled to plug the gap. Sajid Mahmood isn't the answer, James Anderson is able but not as good and there isn't really anyone coming through who springs to mind. Plus, now we have Harmison doubtful for tomorrow nights opener so we might struggle in the pace bowling department and I'm not sure how Monty Panesar will take to the Aussies either.

All in all, it looks like it will be a tremendous series but I wouldn't like to call it either way.

I'm certainly not as confident as I was last year.
  • Options
    I must say I'm enjoying this series very much so far :lol:
  • Options
    Good job that as a Spaniard I don't follow cricket... ;)

Dear dear... it's getting embarrassing.

What are the rain prospects in Brisbane this time of the year?

*puts on rain dance kit*
  • Options
    Well the first test lost and very much an embarrasment apart from 1 day where we seemed to be able to bat again.

First mistake was picking Ashley Giles instead of Monty. Giles was excellent against them in England but Monty has being the main man since then and I think was Englands leading wicket-taker. Giles is more defensive, we need someone who can try get in and amongst the Aussies, someone who they don't know a great deal about, someone who will attack and take wickets, Monty needs to be picked for the next test in my eyes.

Harmi needs confidence, hopefully he'll get a few wickets early in the next test and hopefully we'll see the Harmison who gave the Aussies all sorts of trouble last time.

Roll on the next test.......I think
  • Options
    Well living in Australia, in Adelaide in fact, the fever has really taken over and after the first test all people thought it was going to be a 5-0 win for Australia. However, the pitch in Adelaide and the conditions I think are better for England and as I write this England are doing quite well, but it's been hard fought to get to where they are. And just for the record I want England to win, but I don't believe they can do it.
  • Options
    A good batting performance for England but I don't see Australia crumbling.

Draw for me.
  • Options
    I don't know. I think that England have a real chance despite their rather pitiful opening test performance.

I can't believe how addictive cricket is ..... considering I only got into it a couple of years ago cos I fancied one of the players!
  • Options
    Collingwood & Petersen - wow. What a performance though I doubt the pitch will give the Aussies much to worry about. I predict and encouraging draw with England winning the next two and drawing the final test to win 2-1.
  • Options
    Well. Same old England. Snatching defeat from the jaws of a very comfortable draw.

No fucking backbone. Just capitulate like tradition decrees. Totally gutted.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    I don't know. I think that England have a real chance despite their rather pitiful opening test performance.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: :yippe:
  • Options
    It wasn't Australia that won that game. It was England that threw it away.

On another note, I haven't watched much footage of the Ashes so far but judging by what I've seen as well as photographs, interviews and reports in the press, it doesn't look like Australia have been as graceful in victory as England was last year. More like excessive celebrations, wild balls to the face and sarcastic comments.

They certainly appear to have a chip on their shoulder about the Poms.
  • Options
    Cricket's more important over there than it is over here *shrug*

Nonsense, Australia's bowling was top-notch.
  • Options
    What a disgrace. Bat positively get 551 runs, bat defenceively 129 all out.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The majority of Englands 2nd innings wickets were stupid that could have been avoided. We really should have been able to hold for the draw very easily but in typical fashion we fucked it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Cricket's more important over there than it is over here *shrug*

Indeed 3m watch the cricket in the UK, 13m watch I'm a Celebrity...
    Nonsense, Australia's bowling was top-notch.

Helped by shite batting, Flintoff and Pietersen didn't get out to good balls more to shit batting.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    it doesn't look like Australia have been as graceful in victory as England was last year. More like excessive celebrations, wild balls to the face and sarcastic comments.

They certainly appear to have a chip on their shoulder about the Poms.

indeed, but chant of the week definitely goes to the aussie cricket fans...

#you've got the whole world, in your team#
  • Options
    You could say some Australian fans have taken to that issue a little too far, judging by the repulsive comments about Monty.
  • Options
    And the "I'd rather be a Paki than a Pom" chant
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You could say some Australian fans have taken to that issue a little too far, judging by the repulsive comments about Monty.

I didn't hear about that, what did they say? Hmmm, not very nice but hardly surprising either.

On a lighter note I did hear about Shane Warne branding Ian Bell the Sherminator though. :lol:
  • Options
    There is quite a bit of racism in that country, so its not too surprising, but at least they don't throw bananas at black people, unlike in most of Europe.
  • Options
    Shocking really.

I say bring Monty and Mahmood in for Giles and Anderson.

It's the only chance we have.
  • Options
    If Fletcher is so desperate to bat till eight bring in Mahmood, He got 40 odd in His last game for England.
  • Options
    Who thinks we have a chance in this one??