Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alcohol and Paracetamol

On Friday, I am meant to be going to a friends' house for some Christmas drinks. ATM, my wisdom teeth are coming through, when would it be safe to drink alcohol after taking paracetamol?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Article won't load, and while it's not highly recommended I don't think it's a problem. Comes with the usual proviso that you'll probably get drunk quicker etc.
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    Article won't load, and while it's not highly recommended I don't think it's a problem. Comes with the usual proviso that you'll probably get drunk quicker etc.
    loads for me :confused:
  • Options
    I've been having trouble with the NHS Direct site for about a week.
  • Options
    I wouldn't risk it. They are both liver toxic and I have heard some bad reactions happen from mixing the two.

I think the alcohol will be a better pain relieve. ;)
  • Options

If you have any concerns about the information below, or need any help understanding it and relating it to your own situation, you should talk to your GP or pharmacist (chemist). You can also phone NHS Direct on 0845 4647.
    Various analgesics (painkillers) are available to purchase over the counter (OTC) from a pharmacy (chemist), some of which contain more than one medicine.

Aspirin and ibuprofen
    It is normally okay to drink alcohol when taking ibuprofen or aspirin if you drink within the recommended amount of alcohol of less than 14 units per week for females and less than 21 units per week for males (one unit is equal to half a pint of beer or a glass of wine or a single spirit).
    Alcohol can irritate the stomach and may make you more likely to have side effects to aspirin or ibuprofen including bleeding in the stomach or intestine. However, these effects on the stomach or intestine are not likely to be significant in most people. Heavy or long term daily use of aspirin may cause stomach inflammation or ulceration and this might be made worse by overuse of alcohol.

Paracetamol
    Paracetamol does not interact with alcohol when taken in recommended doses. However, if you have liver problems, either from drinking alcohol or other causes, you should contact your GP for advice on the choice of a suitable painkiller.

Caffeine
    This is an additive in some OTC painkillers, but it does not interact with alcohol.
    Codeine and dihydrocodeine
    The combination of alcohol with codeine or dihydrocodeine may cause increased drowsiness. This may result in problems with driving and operating machinery. However, as most of the preparations available OTC contain relatively small amounts of these ingredients, this side effect (increased drowsiness) is not likely to be significant, unless you are exceptionally sensitive. However, you should note that drinking alcohol when taking OTC codeine or dihyrocodeine might cause increased drowsiness and you are advised not to drive or operate machinery as a precautionary measure.

Summary

For moderate drinkers (within the recommended amounts of alcohol per week), there is no reason to avoid any of the OTC painkiller preparations when they are taken at recommended doses (please refer to individual product packaging for dosage advice).
    Alcohol combined with aspirin or ibuprofen may cause stomach irritation, although most people are unlikely to be affected.
    Alcohol combined with OTC codeine or dihydrocodeine might cause drowsiness although most people are unlikely to be affected. You should however, not drive or operate machinery as a precautionary measure.

For people who cant view the link. :)
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I wouldn't risk it. They are both liver toxic and I have heard some bad reactions happen from mixing the two.

I think the alcohol will be a better pain relieve. ;)

I wasn't thinking about taking them together - if that's what you thought I was thinking of doing.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I wasn't thinking about taking them together - if that's what you thought I was thinking of doing.
    Yeah I did. I would leave it for about 4 hours before/after drinking.
  • Options
    i have taken paracetamol with a beer more than once (sometimes water isnt available ie at a festival;p), i'm sure itll be fine as long as you don't over do the recommended paracetamol dosage!