Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Piercing qu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I'm going to get my nipple pierced this Friday, hopefully! What I was curious about is, is it ok to get the piercing wet, say in a shower, or in a swimming pool, it's just I'm quite a keen and frequent swimmer :) Thankyou

Comments

• Options
    I would guess you probably can't swim for a few days, I'd ask them about it first.

Assuming you're a lass there's the other problem of the new piercing and your swim suit on the practical side, I'd imagine that'd be the biggest problem.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hey - As it's possible the chlorine in swimming pools will aggravate your skin, or dry out the area, you might want to check with the person who's doing the piercing - hopefully a professional! Of course, make sure you clean the piercing very regularly.
  • Options
    You are supposed to avoid swimming for the first couple of weeks until it is healing up nicely/has healed completely. Swimming in the pool can dry the piercing out and there is the obvious risk of infections as swimming pool water obviously isn't always clean despite the best efforts of the chlorine (which itself can be problematic).

If you MUST swim during the first couple of weeks then look into buying some waterproof wound coverings or large waterproof plasters with good adhesive. Though to be honest you are best off not swimming in public pools, I wouldn't go in any of them with an open wound/fresh piercing, personally :no:
  • Options
    Ok, thankyou everyone, I'll avoid swimming for a while then :)
  • Options
    I've just had piercing numero 8 done, i love them! If you go to any decent place who know what they're talking about, you can expect full aftercare advice and a phone number to call should things go wrong. If not... the advice is generally to avoid submerging the piercing in water for about 48 hours. This is because the piercing site is starting to heal, blood cells are forming scabs etc which prevent infection. If these are soaked in water they become soft and can fall off, thus the protective barrier for the piercing is lost. So yeah.... keep out of water for a bit! And good luck :)
  • Options
    Avoid swimming for at least 8 weeks after a fresh piercing.