Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dodgy Call

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got a missed call this morning, it rang once then went dead, it came up as a number. I tried txting the number asking who it was but "number not in use", so I used my works phone to try and call the number and got the message "number dialled incorrectly, please try again".
The number was 07801737136
Anyone else had anything like this?? Is it some sort of scam?? What could it be??
Just wondering as it seems strange I can't call the number back.

Comments

• Options
    Got a missed call this morning, it rang once then went dead, it came up as a number. I tried txting the number asking who it was but "number not in use", so I used my works phone to try and call the number and got the message "number dialled incorrectly, please try again".
    Anyone else had anything like this?? Is it some sort of scam?? What could it be??
    Just them f'ing telesalesman calling from bombay.

If they ring back again, tell them to f off.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Just them f'ing telesalesman calling from bombay.

If they ring back again, tell them to f off.
    Weird though because they didn't give me time to answer, it was like 1 ring then it cut off.
  • Options
    Weird though because they didn't give me time to answer, it was like 1 ring then it cut off.
    They literally play a game where its first to ansew speaks to them, if your not the first to ansew they cut you off.

I hate them bastards, you can bet when they ring up they get every single bit of abuse. I wouldnt mind its just I already have a 3 phone and twice a day every day we get people ringing up who can hardly speak English pestering us to buy one. :mad:
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    HIT wrote:
    They literally play a game where its first to ansew speaks to them, if your not the first to ansew they cut you off.

wtf does that mean? =\
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    wtf does that mean? =\

It means so that they dont waste time dialling they have a computer which dials about 10 numbers at once, because otherwise someone might not answer. Then, the first person who answers gets connected and everyone else get's d/ced. Sometimes it works differently though and you answer and someone else is being talked to so you just get silence on the other end.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    wtf does that mean? =\
    They ring say 10 people. Whoever picks up first speaks to them. The rest are cut off.
  • Options
    we've had this things recently where our house phone rings and when we pick it up, it starts ringing out on the other end as if we're calling someone!

we leave our answer machine on now at all times
  • Options
    I got a missed call from 040545651 this morning, 05:17.

Can't call back, can't text back. Weird.
  • Options

Its always best to just ignore these, if its important they'll phone back.

Important people arent always available.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    HIT wrote:
    They ring say 10 people. Whoever picks up first speaks to them. The rest are cut off.
    no, I really meant wtf do you mean, the sentance made no sense. And "ansew" isn't even a word =\
  • Options
    Do you have spaces or dashes in your phone numbers? I got sales people for a couple weeks, found out they were by googling the number and it would come up people ranting about the sales people at that particular number.

I finally answered one (well I answered 2, the first one was just speaking spanish to me) and I told them this is my cell phone and stop calling... "oh but we're not trying to sell you anything..." This is my cell phone and I don't want you or anybody else calling it... never had another telemarketer... though now my phone is real quiet and sad.