Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

OMFG! I just got a new mac!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all,

Ok, so I just got a new mac book pro 15" and it is facking amazing! I love it. It is so intuitive, smart and lovely... Anyway, I want to put some software on it, but this is the first time I've ever gotten a mac, so I don't know what to put on it. Any ideas from anyone who has one? Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    I have always wanted a mac, but i dont know if i would manage without windows and office.

I been brought up using them and havent used anything else :confused:

Still my laptop is due to get renewed in the new year, but i dont think i will be brave enough to buy a mac.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote:
    I have always wanted a mac, but i dont know if i would manage without windows and office.

I been brought up using them and havent used anything else :confused:

Still my laptop is due to get renewed in the new year, but i dont think i will be brave enough to buy a mac.

:thumb:

It's not that much of a leap i found (i got my first Mac earlier this year). There's a few things like installing programmes that is completely different and of course there's no taskbar (there is expose though, which is great). Nothing that isn't a Google away!

TheKing... most of the things i use are available on Windows and XP (Firefox, iTunes, Office, Quicktime) a couple of things that aren't are Adium (for connecting to MSN and Gtalk) and i REALLY like Quicksilver. Which is worth having a look at and a play with - even if you just use it to open files and apps it's worth it (you press a short cut it opens, start typing the name of the app and when it appears press enter). I like it because i can open files quickly and without having to use the trackpad.
  • Options
    I bought a macbook last week :). Everyone seems to be buying them.

As for programs, I've installed:

VirtueDesktops: lets you use multiple desktops , and switch between them with fancy effects
    Adium : Gaim clone for OSX (Very good, If you find it crashing download the beta version, which is stable... oddly)
    BitRocket: Torrent client, bit like utorrent only not really as nice.
    Flip4Mac: WMV Codecs for Quicktime
    iAlertU: let's you 'lock' your macbook using the apple remote, uses motion sensing to set off a siren if the macbook has been touched
    MPlayer: Brilliant media player, also get VLC
    Quicksilver: I think this is sort of a replacement for spotlight, Haven't figured out how to use it yet but everyone raves about it
    Serial Box: big list of serials for mac apps :-)
    Snak: IRC Client
    X-Chat Aqua: Another IRC Client
    TSClientX: Client for MS remote desktop (Microsofts own one doesnt run well.)
    UnRarX/Stuffit: For unpacking.
    Bootcamp: I had problems installing the latest bootcamp on my macbook, I think the current ver is unstable or something, avoid it.

Also, you should probably set up active screen corners, in preferences go to 'dashboard and expose'

my shortcuts are as follows:

top left = application windows
    top right = desktop
    bottom left = all windows
    bottom right = dashboard.

Personally i find myself only using 'all windows' and 'desktop' they're mighty useful :)

Will post more apps as I discover them :-)
  • Options
    If you like your PC and windows then i would suggest sticking with it. for 3 reasons

1. Its cheaper and easier to replair
    2. many more games and software for windows
    3. Do you really want to spend 2x the ammount of cash for a half spec mac?

Some people say get a mac for graphics but whats the point anything a mac can do a decent pc can do.
  • Options
    The Law wrote:
    If you like your PC and windows then i would suggest sticking with it. for 3 reasons

1. Its cheaper and easier to replair
    2. many more games and software for windows
    3. Do you really want to spend 2x the ammount of cash for a half spec mac?

Some people say get a mac for graphics but whats the point anything a mac can do a decent pc can do.

I woulden't say mac hardware was half spec these days? I spent 750 on my macbook and it's of comparable (if not better) spec than laptops in the same price band. Also, number 2 is irrelevant since mac's can run windows natively, you might have a point with number 3, I haven't yet had to have mine repaired but I dont think it'd be any more expensive than any other high-end brand laptop (e.g sony vaio).

I've been using a windows PC since I was 11 and I never thought I'd be able to switch entirely over to OS X, But after a week of using this mac I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to windows.

Plus points for buying a mac:

1) Boot times/Shut down times are incredible compared to XP, I can open the laptop and it'll be loaded within 20 seconds.
    2) You dont really need antivirus, so you don't have to waste valuable system resources
    3) the hardware simply cannot be faulted.
  • Options
    Noog, thanks very much for that list, looks really good. Get on that ASAP :) Macs are amazing. This is my first one, and it is so easy to use. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's a lot more managable than PCs, the start up and shutdown times are phenomenal, the specs are awesome, particularly for video editing. I love it :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    My old man's a printer and has been using macs for over 15 years. I've grown up using both macs and PC and have always preffered the mac.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You might also want to try bluephoneelite, and sync your bluetooth phone with iSync, so your contact list is backed up onto your apple. then you can use bluephoneelite to send/recieve texts (they pop up like instant messages, it's very nice!) and I think you can make calls using the built in mic, aswell as other bits and peices :-)
  • Options
    Sorry to drag this thread up again, but I just tried Delocalizer, it clears up about 3 gig of space from your mac hdd by removing all the other language packs. Try it :)
  • Options
    Nice one Noog, I definitely will. All those other downloads are awesome btw!
  • Options
    Quicksilver, I second (or is it thrid) quicksilver.
  • Options
    New thing i learnt recently... to send a single file to bluetooth. Select file... cmd + shift + b then select the device. Saves a bit of hassle!

Also has anyone pressed cmd + alt + ctrl + 8 to reverse the contrast?
  • Options
    whoa, cmd+ctl+alt+8 is weird. And check this guy out in reverse > :shocking:

edit: btw there's a fairly new parallels beta which features 'coherence'. Basically you can run XP apps windowed inside OSX, Quite handy if you have aps which *need* windows.

Still haven't familiarised myself with quicksilver, what's it actually supposed to do apart from be a tarted up version of spotlight?
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    whoa, cmd+ctl+alt+8 is weird. And check this guy out in reverse > :shocking:

edit: btw there's a fairly new parallels beta which features 'coherence'. Basically you can run XP apps windowed inside OSX, Quite handy if you have aps which *need* windows.

Still haven't familiarised myself with quicksilver, what's it actually supposed to do apart from be a tarted up version of spotlight?

Depends what you want it to do? Sh!t answer but it does all sorts, half of which i don't use.

I mostly use it to open apps and browse, open, move, e-mail, upload files. I find it easier, quicker and more intuitive then Spotlight and definitely easier then going into the finder or taking my fingers of the keyboard.

A few other things though...
    There's the clipboard (saves the last amount of things for you, you can change it in options) - which you might need to install from plugins. Invoke QS and then cmd + L

I like to use command window with selection (which doesn't work with all programmes) - it's an option in Triggers > Quicksilver. Which basically throws whatever you've selected into Quicksilver.

Also, the comma feature, allow you select multiple files.

Or, to find a word in the dictionary, invoke QS press . type the word, tab across, start typing dictionary and then press enter. In triggers you can set a shortcut to go straight to the text window.

There's a load of search options too - invoke > type the word > tab > search using Google or whatever then type enter to open it in a new tab. (Might need to install a plugin)

I'm well aware i sound like a fanboy but it tends to invoke that in people! It is something that you need to spend some time playing around with though i think! link I like it mostly because i don't use a mouse on my Macbook, i have it mapped to cmd +space so my thumbs are there if i need it!

I saw that Parallels beta, it's looks handy to have! I just haven't gotten around to needing any Windows apps yet! Have you used the programme?