Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Diarrhea due to anxiety? :confused:

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    These are only ideas, don't really know anything about it but you sound like you're after any ideas going!

Have you tried asking a pharmacist about some anti diarrhea stuff that doesn't contain gelatin? I'd assume there must be one out there, there are plenty of vegetarians. Failing that I'd guess if you hunt round the web you'll find some information aimed at vegetarians, maybe a society or something that can advise on medication suitable for vegetarians. Another line to try would be a homeopathic remedy, which often do the trick and are more likely to be suitable for vegetarians.

Another line of attack would be to be careful with your diet for a couple of days before this big meeting, go for really high fibre and avoid things that may cause problems.
  • Options
    Do Imodium Instants have gelatin in them? As they dissolve on the tongue instead of in capsule form.

I don't know what to suggest - I get the same thing but I muddle thru with Imodium etc.
  • Options
    I get diarrhea and nausia when I'm nervous or anxious. It's uncontrolable. I'm anxious whenever I have to do something new or something I'm unsure of. I wish I had a cure tbh - it's hell. I do sympathise - sorry I couldn't give you any help though.
  • Options
    My brief web trawl didn't yield much, except how about one of those probiotic yoghurt drink things. They are supposed to help with diarrhea.
  • Options
    They make me worse - I've got IBS anyway :rolleyes:
  • Options
    They make me worse - I've got IBS anyway :rolleyes:

Well that would be quite different to this then wouldn't it??

And bearing that in mind, may I suggest that if you do want to try it, have one just after you get in from work one day and see if it sets you off, then if it does there's no harm done.
  • Options
  • Options
    As a general rule, if somethings affecting your life then go to the doctors, it very much sounds like this is, so do go.
  • Options
  • Options
    go for really high fibre

But doesn't that someone poo? So why would you suggest this?:confused:
  • Options
    ^^

Pretty much that reason. It's good for maintaining a healthy digestive system and 'normal' bowel behaviour.
  • Options
    It is definitely possible to get diarrhoea and other related digestive problems through anxiety, especially if you are more prone to that kind of malady. I know when I go through times of high stress my digestive system ties itself up in knots and I get terrible pains, cramps and am a lot more likely to have diarrhoea too. If you're very concerned and there is a definite pattern then it is definitely advisable to see your GP. You don't need to go through this kind of anxiety and discomfort every time you have a new challenge at work or whatever.

High-fibre - as Scary Monster mentioned - is definitely a good starting point. If you can bulk out your stools then that will help - lots of leafy veg, pulses, brown rice etc would be ideal.

I have found myself in the same boat as you re: medication in the past, I haven't managed to find a gelatin-free option either. I have sworn by agrimony tea for the last couple of years when I have stomach problems and diarrhoea, it works wonders and I really like it which is a bonus. I have had huge problems finding it here though, after first discovering it in Germany, it is possible though! You could also try Valerian Root - which is also effective and more widely available - in either capsule form or a tea infusion, if you're interesting in pursuing herbal remedies too.

Hope you feel better :)
  • Options
    taking something like Senokot may help as it absorbs water, infact you got to drink it quickly otherwise you can feel it going lump inthe glass

Also green apples are good bulking agents.
  • Options
    senekot is for constipation though.

You could go to a pharmacy and ask for kaolin and morphine mixture, its an old fashioned remedy for diarrhoea. It wont be on display coz obviously, it has morphine in it.
  • Options
    I feel your pain as well. I like to call it a "nervous stomach". I work as an airline pilot and when I'm getting started on a trip, typically with an unfamilar aircrew, I will start feeling ill in my stomach. This will occasionally lead to diarrhea. When I'm done flying or back home the feelings go away. Please let me know if you find something to help. Good luck.