Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Texting your partner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How often do you do it?
I had a long distance relationship once and we text throughout the day every day.
Other relationships it hasn't been like this.
I've met a nice chap recently and we text each other a lot through the day, probably because we haven't met up much with me being ill loads recently and him working odd hours.
I just wonder what's it's going to be like if we do get to see each other more, will I still enjoy it or will it bug the hell out of me, or will it die off, or will he stop doing it and I bug him?!

Comments

• Options
    The last two relationships I've been in - one we were together at uni but at opposite ends of the country during holidays, and the other was long distance - he'd text once every few days if I was lucky :( But other couples I've known would text each other a couple of times a day when they saw something funny or thought of something that reminded them of their other half, and send each other a text just before they went to bed to say goodnight.
  • Options
    This isn't long distance so about twice or three times a day. I see him nearly every day and we banter on msn. He's so crap at texting anyway! Doesn't reply till like a day later...I'm wondering if this is a bloke thing. Oh well! :heart:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    When I did long distance, we text constantly. My phone bill reflected this :(

When we moved in, the texting stopped really. We text sometimes when at work, or if we forgot something, asking if the other wants anything from the shop, silly mundane things. I think that if you saw each other more you would text less. It's a natural progression IMO.
  • Options
    I live with my partner but while I am at work we email fairly often. Well, when we have something to talk about!

(ok, its not texting but its comes under the same communication bracket!)
  • Options
    Depends on the guy and the relationship.

If its long distance, I like to text alot. However, this depends on the guy. One of my exes used to reply to them and used to text me more than I did him. The other just used to ignore my texts (yes, he was a dick). After a while, I just didn't bother.

If its not long distance, then I don't text much tbh because I usually spend my time with them rather than talking to/texting them.
  • Options
    Never these days I don't have a mobile phone... Plus I work at home...
  • Options
    Constantly. He knows every single detail about my day, pretty much ;o. And then we usually spend at least an hour on the phone at night when we go to bed as well, if I'm not at work. But that's because I see him one day a week, two if I'm lucky. I find that when I can't see him for longer than that, then the texting increases til I do see him. *shrug*.

My last ex, I text him loads in the couple of weeks before we were together, but when we got together it disappeared almost entirely. I used to get one word answers to really long messages that I'd sent to him and it was kind of like...er, wtf? Meh.
  • Options
    We rarely text during the day, I get a bit irritated if I have to hear random shite about what he's doing at work and I seldom have anything interesting to report :razz: The only time we really text is when one of us is out on the pish, and then they usually consist of "hi aadjafhvazuietf7zhjy,YGVs x" so it's pretty pointless but I guess the thought is there!

When we first got together I suppose I was more of a texter, and he still sometimes sends me corny messages like "you look beautiful, baby" when I've just rolled out of the house looking like Worzel Gummidge. But I never sent him details of my day or anything like that. If something interesting happens I generally just give him a bell, or tell him at night when we're together. Obviously if you're long distance it's different, but we're not so I feel no need to touch base so frequently.
  • Options
    I see my boyfriend about 4 times week however we text each throughout the day everyday up until we go to sleep, unless i see him at night, but then when he goes home we'll send a few before we sleep, so we text ALOT!
  • Options
    depends. if i saw him then i was unlikely to txt him during that day or receive any off him other than one of us txting saying we were just on the way or something. we used to try and speak to each other on the phone every day though - which was nice but i think i should've accepted that wasn't always possible. most mornings during the week i used to wake up to a lovely message from him as he was always up before me for work. i used to love that, aww! we were good with txting eachother.

if i'm just seeing someone then i don't tend to ring them and just stick to txting.
  • Options
    i see him every night from 9 onwards and we text through out the day and have done that for the last 4 years :)
  • Options
    When me and the bf are far apart (like over the summer when we were 4 hours away) we would text every day, a few times throughout the day and speak on msn if we got the chance.

Now we live together i see him every day but he normally texts me while he's at uni to tell me what he's up to, we always text when we're out with other people.

I think its nice. Its not too much but enough :)
  • Options
    Hum hardly ever - but then he isn't really at one with technology and I feel a bit odd about texting at work I would probably rather phone.

However when i'm travelling we do text quiet a bit becuase its cheaper than phone calls - but esp in colombia its a bit hit and miss.
  • Options
    did txt lots with my ex, throughout the day & night.
  • Options
    I text him all the time. Have you seen my keys, call me at 9 I need to make sure I"m up, do we need milk... we text all the time. And I always text him good morning when hes on his way to work and I wake up. He always replies with "I'm so sleepy" And I say join the club :heart::D

Though, he has Nextel and it takes literally hours to recieve messages sometimes so I usually just send emails over the phone, or harass him on his work email via his blackberry.

THough I don't use text speak, see, I can even type out the word text, and neither does he, else I would never text him.
  • Options
    i like guys texting me lots, makes me feel wanted hehe but then i don't like texting back loads as waste of credit (yes i'm cheap) so doesn't really work
    When i first started going out with my boyfriend we texted loads but now we hardly text unless planning to meet up as little credit etc.
    so it depends really, i would love to text more but *shrugs* won't happen unless i find someone else hehe x
  • Options
    most mornings during the week i used to wake up to a lovely message from him as he was always up before me for work. i used to love that, aww! we were good with txting eachother.

Aw, yeah me and my old girlfriends were a lot like that. Getting ones wishing you sweet dreams just before you went to sleep was always nice aswell :)

I always used to try and keep my sentimental ones but there were always so many my inbox constantly overflowed :love:
  • Options
    at the moment i am sending about ten textx a day to my man, but he is in london and im in portsmouth we havent seen each other in a while, but with someone close by who i see ofton, not as much. Generally lots!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Hum hardly ever

I'm glad everyone doesn't text all the time! I was beginning to feel incredibly left out :(
  • Options
    we do a lot, but only because we are in a long distance relationship. But they always have a purpose.. its never just stupid ones like.. "im having a sandwich for lunch what about you?" like some people I know.
    haha I have been known to do that!
  • Options
    we do a lot, but only because we are in a long distance relationship. But they always have a purpose.. its never just stupid ones like.. "im having a sandwich for lunch what about you?" like some people I know.
    '

I do that all the time, :o except email during work hours. I'd hate to be the computer guy if he ever checkes work emails

i'm hungry waht should i have for lunch?
    new message
    Taco bell?
    new mesage
    Nah, what did you have?
    new message
    I had stir crazy

maybe i should have panda

go for it

nah, I'll be cheap... maybe i'll have my soup

whatever you want baby

and so forth 8 hours a day... poor IT guy