Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Once a cheater, always a cheater?

Mmm.

Need a few opinions here.

Kinda seeing this guy at the min, its like, weird. Nothing official or anything but like, things keep happening between us.

Thing is, I don't trust him. He's talked about us being girlfriend and boyfriend many times before but like, I don't want to be in a relationship. I think its more to do with the fact I don't trust him though and I'm scared of getting hurt. Been in a number of failed relationships in the past year (split up with ex of 3 years this time last year, split up with another guy in april then another guy in june/july). I've had dates since and stuff but like, I go on them then I just cut contact because I'm so scared of getting hurt.

Anyways, me and ths guy. We have been really good mates for months now and like, things have just turned into something more. However, for months, he's told me about all the women he has been sleeping with and like, he's never faithful. He's always seeing someone behind another's back. He still sleeps with his ex girlfriends every now and again. I know all this because I've been his mate.

He says he really likes me and wants to be with me but like, gah. I just don't know.

Why do I attract these sort of boys?

I've always thought once a cheater always a cheater tbh. My ex of three years cheated on me time and time again despite the fact he kept saying he wouldn't do it again. As a result, I really don't trust people easily. It takes alot for me to trust someone. Its got alot better since I've had other boyfriends as they haven't cheated on me but like, yeah. I still don't trust people easily.

He keeps saying to me that he won't cheat but like, I don't really believe him.

People are telling me I should give him the benefit of the doubt though and not judge him on his past. Its just so hard though.

Its just a bit shit. I really really like this guy (although I'm actually denying this to everyone who knows me). He really likes me. I just don't wanna set myself out to get hurt though. I'm not quite sure how I'd take being cheated on again. In my head, its bound to happen if we get together. However, he tells me it won't be that way. How can I believe him if he's never been faithful to his girlfriends in the past? He gets alot of attention off girls too and alot of the time, he takes the opportunity to have a bit of fun.

Its taken me so long to get back to my confident self. I'm confident in the way I look and I'm feeling much more secure. I'm completely independent and I'm very happy at the minute. I don't wanna like, wreck all I've achieved in the past year by going with someone who is bound to cheat on me and shatter my self esteem again.

Sorry for posting this here. I just want a few opinions on the matter. I just don't know if I should give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance. URGH.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He'll always cheat whilst he can get away with it.

Don't think you'll change him, but if you go into it laying down very clear ground rules, if he does cheat at least he won't get away with it.

If you don't trust someone its not normally a good idea to date them.

When men start talking about long commitment at an early stage they're generally not to be believed. He'll commit and love you until he beds you.
  • Options
    Once a cheater always a cheater I think, but then I don't believe human being are naturally monogomous.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    When men start talking about long commitment at an early stage they're generally not to be believed. He'll commit and love you until he beds you.
    i don't think thats true at all.

to the OP, if you don't trust him then don't bother.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i don't think thats true at all

It's a technique a lot of players use.

And I don't think that someone genuine would be making hundreds of rash promises for after you shag them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's a technique a lot of players use.

And I don't think that someone genuine would be making hundreds of rash promises for after you shag them.
    what promises has he made though? just that he wants to be her boyfriend and he wont cheat. its not like hes promising to take her to paris and shower her with gifts - now thats a player technique
  • Options
    in answer to the question.. once a cheater, always a cheater. it totally depends on the relationship. this guy could have not really cared about his girlfriends in the past and therefore didn't care if he cheated either. yet he might then go on to meet someone else who he genuinely likes and only wants to be with them.
  • Options
    Its just a bit shit. I really really like this guy (although I'm actually denying this to everyone who knows me). He really likes me.

Well he says he likes you, which is as good a place as any to start. If it were me in this situation and I really really liked him then I guess I would give him the run of the field to see if his actions match his words. You can't judge how he would be with you on how he is with the other girls you know he's been with; maybe he's gone arse over tit for you and wouldn't cheat. However, if he's as much of a Don Juan as you say he is then he probably has his seduction technique pretty well-honed, which is something to bear in mind.

I do have reservations about his general character from what you've said about his compulsive cheating, and the fact that he would detail this infidelity to you even in your capacity as his friend. Sounds a bit weird to me, or at best he thinks - in some twisted way - that this is some great way to show off his prowess.

Whatever his intentions, one thing is absolutely certain. Go into any kind of relationship with him with the attitude that he's not to be trusted and a non-spot-changing-leopard, then the demise of that relationship is absolutely a self-fulfilling prophecy. Whether or not it is his cheating that ends it, or rather your own paranoia and insecurity about what he may or may not do, is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    I don't agree that people who cheat will always do so. I think that cheating is often a phase that many people go through especially when they are younger but eventually they do grow out of it.

One of my friends recently confessed that he'd cheated on every single girl he had ever been out with except for his current girlfriend - but that was in his teens early 20's and he's been with his current girl for around 7 years and has no future plans to go behind her back.

People do change - but they have to want to change first and be in the right stage and place of mind to do so.
  • Options
    I once went out with a guy (obviously) and he cheated on me, a friend said to me "once a cheater always a cheater". However i didn't believe that. Although a week or two later ... he did it again :banghead:

Not everyone are complete wankers like that, but i just thought i would share my story :p
  • Options
    why even bother with him, whether he'll cheat on you or not, if you do not trust him?
  • Options
    why even bother with him, whether he'll cheat on you or not, if you do not trust him?

Very good point BUT i suppose you can learn to trust. Personally i don't think i would risk it, i'd be too paranoid.
  • Options
    It's not really an issue of her learning to trust. More than he will need to earn and maintain her trust if he's as keen on having a relationship with her as he claims.
  • Options
    yeah...but it sounds like earning her trust would be hard to do anyway....never mind with his personal track record! To the OP: how do you know if you go into a relationship with this guy he wont carry on sleeping with his exes? whats to stop him?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    in answer to the question.. once a cheater, always a cheater. it totally depends on the relationship. this guy could have not really cared about his girlfriends in the past and therefore didn't care if he cheated either. yet he might then go on to meet someone else who he genuinely likes and only wants to be with them.

Yep, i agree with this. One of my mates cheated and shagged around for years, then he met 'the one' if you wanna put it like that and he's been faithful for two years...
  • Options
    Depends on the personality of the person...
    some will always cheat because they know they can get away with it and they devloped a habbit of it, while others would have done it and genuinely feel bad about it and want to change espescially as they've found someone they really like.

It's really up to you, I don't know the personality of this dude so I can't really say either way fairly. If he really sounds genuine and you really believe he would change for you then go for it and I hope it goes well, however if your gut feeling is that he's a serial cheater and won't stop just for you then ditch him while you can.
    Your call...
  • Options
    Don't even go there tbh.

There's better than him out there
  • Options
    I don't believe that if a person has cheated once, they'll do so again, but it depends on the person, and their approach to relationships. Having said that, it doesn't sound like you and this guy would have a solid basis for a healthy relationship. Trust can go up and down during the course of a relationship, it's how things sometimes evolve, but if you're having these insecurities now, they may get worse, and considering you have said you're happy with being independent etc and are scared of getting hurt, I'd put this guy aside for now and concentrate on you.
  • Options
    I think you should put yourself first. If you're genuinely happy being single then keep it that way :) If he likes you enough then he'll be prepared to wait until you do trust him. But like you've said before, you've learnt not to rely on a blokey to keep you happy. If he does mess you around I just hope he doesn't rewind the old feelings of crapness. Lotsa love! :heart:
  • Options
    I believe anybody can change themselves for the better. Whether they're a cheater or a crazed psychopathic rapist. I think anyone can change themselves if they try hard enough.

However, I believe most people don't care to change who they are, or won't because they like it. I say follow your heart but tread carefully...
  • Options
  • Options
    However, I believe most people don't care to change who they are, or won't because they like it.
    Especially if they always get away with it.
  • Options
    He's a tosser, and he'll always be a tosser. Either realise this and cut your losses, or get involved, get hurt, and learn the hard way.

This isn't a sweeping generalisation.
  • Options
    I always thought once a cheater, always a cheater... until I started goin out with my fellla, who is now my fiance and weve been going out for 4 and a 1/2 years.

But he is older than me, so when he did cheat on one of his partners he was young and foolish as he says.

But then my mate's fella has cheated and cheated on her, but she says he'll change and everyone can see he wont.

But only you know what to do, you could try things with him and see how it goes?? or you clould just stay friends?

Good luck with it.
  • Options
    i have cheated in the past but have been faithful to my fiance for 4 years

if you feel you can trust him, give him a chance is what i say!
  • Options
    Well, i read your post, and then i read some of the obvious "Once a cheater, always a cheater" bull shit, bitter lines.

So, he's told you about the girls he's slept with, cheated on, whatever.
    Ive done this in the past, but only said it to a girl who i can talk to and trust implicitally, you may not think of it, but its actually a compliment to you that he feels he can talk about stuff to you which would be so taboo to other women he knows.

If you like him, then go for it. You obviously do, or you wouldnt be posting here asking for advice.

My advice to you, is ignore all the people that tell you he will always cheat. That is complete and utter bollocks and tends to show up someone who has been cheated on in the past, and is bitter about it.

Ive been cheated on, im sure 95% of people here have been. The difference is, you let it go... the relationship obviously wasnt right at the time.

He may cheat on you in the future... you may cheat on him. Christ you might win the lottery tomorrow and die the day after...

...Dont look at it so subjectively, go with what you feel will make you happy. And if you think you'll have a good time with the guy, give him a chance.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Personally I don't agree with 'once a cheater, always a cheater'. To me, it does depend on the reasons for cheating and what their relationship was like. (the one they were in when they cheated on their partner)
  • Options
    Hey guys.

Thanks for everyone's replies. They have helped me make a decision.

I just wanna stay friends with him.

I'm never going to be able to trust him after all he's told me so yanno. I've done really well getting to where I am now (confident, no longer insecure or paranoid) so I'm not gonna wreck that by getting with a guy who is very likely to hurt me.

• Options
    Well done :)
    As I said I don't know this dude's personality so it would be unfair of me to make judgements but I'm sure you made the right choice, you know yourself what kind of person he is and whether he'd hurt you or not.