Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scared of the dark

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a female friend of mine that is really scared of the dark when shes on her own, i dont mean she just doesnt like it but she feels like shes trapped and started to feel unwell if you get what i mean.

Shes 19 and i dont think shes had anythin bad happen to her in the dark so i dont think its any kind of reaction to the dark as such.

ant ideas that could help her?

Comments

• Options
    strong phobias often arise due to past events. even though she may not know it, you may find she had a scary experience when she was very young, getting lost in the dark or something.

there are a variety of treatments available for phobias, it might be worth talking to a doctor about it if it's bad, as an expert in phobias or a psychologist would be the best person to suggest safe ways to combat the phobia.

although it will likely involve facing her fears, I wouldnt know the best way to go about it...
  • Options
    Aye, if she wants to have a chat with her GP, he can refer her on for help. CBT is the generally accepted best first step for phobias, and they base it around exposure therapy.

Briefly, the idea is this:

When you are exposed to something that you have a phobia of, your anxiety level rockets, after a while it levels off but stays high, but then if you stay exposed to it for long enough, your fear level will start to drop. They might ask her to rate some things on a fear scale, where 0 is not scared at all, and 10 is heart-may-fail, shit-your pants terrified. Then they'll ask her to do something that's a 1 or 2 on her fear scale. Maybe something like being in a dimly lit room with a mate. And they'll get her to stay there, or keep doing it until her fear has diminished to a 0. When she's cool with doing that, they'll ask her to do something that's a 2 or a 3 on the scale, maybe being in a dimly lit room on her own. And again, she'll stay there or keep doing it until she's not scared anymore. And slowly, over a period of weeks, or months, or however long it takes, she'll work up to tackling things that are 9s or 10s. And in theory, she'll learn not to be scared.

It can be a bit of a trauma, and it can take time, but it does work for some people, and it might be worth a try.
  • Options
    Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

I'll have to talk to her about it.

thanks
  • Options
    The Law wrote:
    I have a female friend of mine that is really scared of the dark when shes on her own, i dont mean she just doesnt like it but she feels like shes trapped and started to feel unwell if you get what i mean.

Shes 19 and i dont think shes had anythin bad happen to her in the dark so i dont think its any kind of reaction to the dark as such.

I hate night times, I feel apprehensive sometimes. I dont know why, I just do.

Is that how your friend feels.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I hate night times, I feel apprehensive sometimes. I dont know why, I just do.
    yeah, i think most people feel like that

up until i was 20, i used to sleep with the radio on, it just kinda made me feel like i wasnt alone, tell her to try that, then gradually turn the radio lower, until in the end she doesnt need it

i`m 21 now and although i sleep in the dark, i sleep with a knife
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    yeah, i think most people feel like that

up until i was 20, i used to sleep with the radio on, it just kinda made me feel like i wasnt alone, tell her to try that, then gradually turn the radio lower, until in the end she doesnt need it

i`m 21 now and although i sleep in the dark, i sleep with a knife
    Yikes, I wouldn't want to argue with you then get in the same bed afterwards.

I sleep with the radio and fan on, I guess it takes away that silent feeling.

But can anyone find out why apprehension usually happens to some at night?
  • Options
    The Law wrote:

A Torch?

You can get really bright LED ones that are key chained sized from the £1 shops

I was afraid of the dark when I was iccle - and I had a torch.. of corse int hose days they were massive!! :yes:
  • Options
    I suggested the radio idea because that worked for me. Shes gonna give it ago before anything else so we shall see how that goes.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    how`s she gettin on?x