Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Guitar

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey
Anyone on here play guitar?
not sure if theres already been a thread on this or not.
Been playing for around 6 months on an electric and don't feel i've made much progress really.
Jus wondering what other peoples experiences are
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I had lessons for a couple of years, took it pretty seriously, was in a couple of bands, but then I just kinda didn't have the time for continuous practise and sort of gave it up. I do pick it up and play a few tunes every now and then though.
  • Options
    I've been playing for.....eleven years.

Jesus, that's a long time.....
  • Options
    Playing bass for 6 years...feels longer though.
  • Options
    been playing bass for 4 years straight
  • Options
    been playing guitar for 5 years, bass for 3.

what kinds of things are you learning? other songs, chords, scales, technique?
  • Options
    Been playing geetar for 8 years and bass for 6.

Learn your chords, scales and arpeggios. Boring I know but you will feel the benefits. I wish I'd done them but as I was self-taught, I was more interested in learning two-hand tapping than C major.
  • Options
    Learn your chords, scales and arpeggios. Boring I know but you will feel the benefits. I wish I'd done them but as I was self-taught, I was more interested in learning two-hand tapping than C major.
    Applies to the bass too yeah?
  • Options
    :impissed: I wanna learn to play!
  • Options
    :impissed: I wanna learn to play!

You can buy a guitar for about £30 in most music shops. Then find a friend to get you started or search the net for basic chords - G, C, D, Am - and you'll be playing in no time. Easy! :D
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    Applies to the bass too yeah?

Yeah but slightly less important. Again, I was more interested in hardcore slapping than any of that scale nonsense.
  • Options
    learning scales is essential for both guitar and bass.
  • Options
    I formed my first band in 1990!
    Seems like I'm fucking grand-father for everyone else here :chin:
  • Options
    Been playing for about 4 years myself. Prefer acoustic over electric, not in a band or nothing, just like messing about to pass time.
  • Options
    Yeah but slightly less important. Again, I was more interested in hardcore slapping than any of that scale nonsense.
    Hmm I slap but not that hardcore, I should learn some scales though. Any good links to share?
  • Options
    thanks for all the responses.
    So far ive learnt g, d and c chords and know one or two scales, as well as a few intros to some songs.

Did have teacher for a while but was finding i didn't have the time to practice what i was given or that i lost enthusiam.

i still havent got much motivation at the moment to play really, some days i'll see something on tv or something that will inspire me to play for a bit but then if other things come up ill often skip practising.

Also what i find is if i have something new to learn i tend to give up easily and go back to something i know how to play if i can't pick the new song etc quickly.
  • Options
    The other guys probably missed out that one, but I think it's essential to learn play guitar properly. Watch out your rhythmics! Get your self metronome or play along other music or instrument. If you wanna be in a band one day that will help you a lot!
  • Options
    Day40 wrote:
    Get your self a metronome

yes very recommended
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    learning scales is essential for both guitar and bass.

it isn't essential, it might help sometimes but as you progress you will pick up scales naturally (even though you might not know the names). ppl that write purely off a scale can produce some pretty boring lines (talking about bass here)