Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Excel 2003 help - Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a question for my IDA class to do with tax calculations and I don't know what to do for one of them.

SALES TAX IS CHARGED ON THE INCOME FROM ALL PRODUCTS AT THE RATE CONTAINED IN THE C10 CELL IF INCOME EXCEEDS £1000 BUT AT THE RATE CONTAINED IN THE C11 CELL IF INCOME IS LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO £1000.

6A WRITE A FORMULA IN E13 TO CALCULATE THE TAX DUE ON SALES OF BEANS. THEN COPY THIS FORMULA INTO THE REST OF COLUMN E TO GIVE THE TAX DUE ON EACH OF THE OTHER PRODUCTS.

I thought I would do an IF Statement to determine the tax rate and in the same IF statement make one of the answers a calculation but it just turns out like:

=IF(D13>1000,"=(D13*$C$10)/100","=(D13*$C$11)/100")

and doesn't return an actual calculation.

Help!

Comments

• Options
    after playing around with it a bit, if you put IF() in the input line and hit the = button, it gives you a field to add the condition, and the resultant answers pending the logical evaluation of the argument. I stuck in your things and got this:

=IF(D13>1000,(D13*$C$10)/100,(D13*$C$11)/100)

think you were right except it doesnt need the extra " or =
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Cheers :thumb: Worked a treat. Just worried that the tax calculation isn't right now, seems a little low :lol:
  • Options
    :lol: I wouldn't know about that, I just fixed your syntax

good luck!
  • Options
    Cheers anyway! :lol: