Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fridge Freezer

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
Bit of a long shot but never mind :)

Our fridge is kaput :( Our freezer is going to go bust soon too. How crap (especially as Christmas is 5 weeks away!) We are planning a fridge freezer as it will help maximize space, cheaper than built in units etc etc.

So, has anyone got any recommendations? Or makes/models to avoid like the plague? Any insight would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We got this last month after our built in fridge broke.
  • Options
  • Options
    We've had our Daewoo fridge freezer a good couple of years and it's still as good as new. Frost free as well which is ace because I always hated that job.

Frost free would definitely be a bonus for us. Hate defrosting the freezer :grump:
  • Options
    The one I posted is frost free :D
  • Options
    I had a silver Beko f/f and it was shit. Kept turning off if the kitchen got too cold and went all rusty on the outside.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    The one I posted is frost free :D

And as nice as it looks, I think we would want something that is 50% fridge, 50% freezer, or a slightly bigger freezer. My mum did suggest a whirlpool though.

RubberSkin, it's funny you saying that about the Beko as someone else said the same thing. Think I shall avoid them :p
  • Options
    My mum did suggest a whirlpool though.

Won't ya chips get soggy ? :D
  • Options
    At uni we had beko washing machine with built in dryer, that thing got used about twice day, every single day and never broke ..

anyway worth noting the energy rating on these things, the savings can add up a lot over time.
  • Options
    Finding the right Fridge freezer Is hard work

My Mums freezer has gone shitty, Currently looks like a certain scene from the titanic when you walk in the kitchen. Eskimo's would have a Field day in there at the moment.

Definately get a Frost free!!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    We have a hotpoint.

Good as tbh.
  • Options
    Candy ones are crap

Mine makes a lot of noise even though it is level and defrosted quite often .All the compartment doors broke off the minute the guarantee ran out

:(
  • Options
    I swear by my Daewoo fridge too.

It's taller than I am, its mahoosive, and it was quite cheap too, only about £270.
  • Options
    Right, let's see what I remember from Currys

Makes to buy: Bosch, Hoover, Samsung, Smeg, Hotpoint, Zanussi, Whirlpool. But if I was to pick one, it'd be Bosch without a doubt (Smeg too, but they're really expensive).

Cheap and cheerful: Beko, Candy, Indesit. Indesit are probably your best bet out of those.

Having said that, our fridge is by Belling who I think are pretty decent. It's one of those built in one's though.
  • Options
    we've got this one (near enough, I think it's an earlier model), and it's fab:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4857156/Trail/C%24cip%3D42001.Kitchen%2Band%2Blaundry%3EC%24cip%3D42077.Fridges%2Band%2Bfreezers%3EC%24cip%3D42085.Fridge%2Bfreezers%3EFC%24Brands%3DIndesit.Indesit.htm

Those blue handles on the freezer drawers pull out, and are ice cube trays :heart:
  • Options
    Right, let's see what I remember from Currys

Makes to buy: Bosch, Hoover, Samsung, Smeg, Hotpoint, Zanussi, Whirlpool. But if I was to pick one, it'd be Bosch without a doubt (Smeg too, but they're really expensive).

Cheap and cheerful: Beko, Candy, Indesit. Indesit are probably your best bet out of those.

Having said that, our fridge is by Belling who I think are pretty decent. It's one of those built in one's though.

Thing with Bosch is that, although their products are top notch, their after sales stuff is rubbish. We had a problem with our dishwasher and we were thrown from pillar to post and I ended up with my teacher / angry hat on and got very annoyed at lack of communication. It sort of put me off Bosch.

Smeg is nice but waaaaay out of our price range. At the moment we have seen a Hotpoint and a Siemens one that we really liked. But this is just initial looks!