Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Extentions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Through a mix of laziness, misunderstandings with timetables and a family bereavement I have missed about 2 weeks worth of university. I have missed one and a half units from my Finance module.

I have an economics presentation due for next week as well as a Finance presentation (same week) and an individual economics essay due for Friday.

I'm really finding it hard to do all of this and I doubt I'll get most of it done. The university is aware of my circumstances (and before anyone starts, i know there are uni folk in worse situations) Would I be able to get extentions?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    different unis will have different policies regarding extensions.

best idea would be to ask them, but don't say that it was partly due to laziness. :thumb:
  • Options
    Most unis are very sympathetic but it's common practice to ask the tutor concerned. You should be fine.
  • Options
    different unis will have different policies regarding extensions.

best idea would be to ask them, but don't say that it was partly due to laziness. :thumb:
    Hehe. I won't say it was! If it does come up I'll play the "I didn't realise university was like that, I've learner my lesson and I'll be on the ball from now on" card
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Most unis are very sympathetic but it's common practice to ask the tutor concerned. You should be fine.
    I'll be seeing one tomorrow and one on Wednesday so hopefully I'll be OK.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Hehe. I won't say it was! If it does come up I'll play the "I didn't realise university was like that, I've learner my lesson and I'll be on the ball from now on" card

you didn't realise university was like what? i wouldn't advise saying that.

maybe just say you've found it hard finding your feet/coping with the change from college to here and that the bereavement has made things harder.
  • Options
    That's actuslly a good 'un. The fact that I came from school would make it even better :D
  • Options
    I think you'll find pretty much everyone came from school. Stick with the bereavement, which I suspect was the main problem anyway. Email them now and tell them you are having problems and don't think you're going to make the deadlines, don't wait til when you see them or the last minute.

If you're after several extensions then you'll probably need to get in touch with your personnal tutor as well, and just let them know what's going on.

While I realise you need the extensions now, bear in mind the knock on effects. The extended time you use will be time that the course program expects you to be using to do the next bit of work, so try not to let things drag on too much.
  • Options
    tbh i think it's unfair to 'make up' excuses i.e. you saying 'that's a good 'un' to what i said. i think your only valid reason is the issue of the bereavement.
  • Options
    Making up excuses is unfair, but explaining the circumstances in a suitable manner isn't.

Make sure you've got the right attitude when you talk to them, and bear in mind you need to get things abck on track as soon as possible otherwise the problems will just get bigger.
  • Options
    Making up excuses is unfair, but explaining the circumstances in a suitable manner isn't.

Make sure you've got the right attitude when you talk to them, and bear in mind you need to get things abck on track as soon as possible otherwise the problems will just get bigger.

I seriously am worried about my work getting out of hand. Lucy I didn't mean it like that, what I meant was that it sounded good. I want to get the right reaction and not sound as if I've been slacking off because as far as my projects are concerned, i haven't. I just haven't had time because of what happened with my uncle.
  • Options
    When you talk to your tutors about extensions, make sure you are concerned about the back log getting out of hand. Find out from them when the next deadlines will be and come up with some priorities. You may find it best to really focus on one thing, get that done and in and then move onto the next, rather than having several half done things going on at once.

Another thing to ask about is whether there is something that you can postpone 'til the holidays, it may or may not be possible but doing that will stop you getting further behind.

Work with them to come up with a strategy to get everything done. You will really have to knuckle down and discipline yourself to catch up but it is completely doable.
  • Options
    your uni should have some sort of extenuating circumstances form which would need to be completed officially in the event that personal circumstances have affected your uni work. if you've only missed a few classes but not any deadlines / exams yet then an informal chat with your tutor might surfice.
  • Options
    Yeah I'd agree with the above comments, tell your tutor asap, from really recent experience it's a very good idea. You might even be surprised at just how nice they are!! :)