Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fraud and Wierd Emails...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it just me or is everyone else getting shitty emails from every bank under the sun and people from foreign countries asking me to go into bussiness with them?

It's doing my head in.

I know I can block the sender etc ect but they come from 101 different emails. Crazy.

I got an email from "paypal" which I do actually use saying my account has been attempted to be hacked or something and click on this link to confirm bank details and I was like, right do I trust this or not? Too much crap going round to know what to believe and what not to!

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    I get alot of crap but i just junk it, i havent got much lately but it depends where your email is used ect

If you have signed up to something new your email is bound to be passed on to third partys
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Never, ever *ever* click on a link that you get sent in an email by any of these banks. They are fraudulent and will take all your money if you give any sort of personal details. This includes paypal. If it was genuine from paypal they would say something like 'please log into your account to check yadeyadeyah'. They wouldn't send you a link to click on.

Scammers are clever. And there are a lot of them out there, and many unsuspecting people. If you think there is a problem then access your account, like normal (not through an email) or phone the bank involved.
  • Options
    I'be had quite a few of these recently. Mainly from banks I don't have an account with and just ignore them. Have had an email from my bank telling me that when they contact me (via email) the way the email is structured. 9as in, they show my account details or something like that)
  • Options
    always annoys me how nationwide's official email address is @nationwide-email.co.uk or something, which just sounds like a scam attempt. they do however, never ask for personal details, so it's all good. I in fact asked the bank whether this was from them or not, which they confirmed it was.

I guess their staff all get @nationwide.co.uk ones.
  • Options
    I keep getting emails along the lines of

"Hello, I am a rich person living in a different country and working in bank. One of our even richer customers died in a plane crash a long time ago - look, heres a link to the BBC news story just to make it more realistic - and if we're quick, we can empty their $10,000,000 account into yours, totally legally, and then we'll spilt it evenly between us, meaning you'll have 40% of the money"

I'm so tempted to try i, then the minute I get their "bank details" send everything to the police.
  • Options
    Noooo don't do it!! I know what you mean by tempted but dont get drawn into it. The idiots will get a response then hehe

I get the ones from banks saying
    "Hello valued Nationwide customer"
    and I'm like what a load of bollucks, I'm with abbey national and they don't have my new email address, The loosers!
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:

I'm so tempted to try i, then the minute I get their "bank details" send everything to the police.

The police will have had every single one reported about 1000000 times over already no doubt!!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I'be had quite a few of these recently.

Yeah I used to get the odd one here and there but recently I have been getting like 6 a day! Pisses me off!
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:

"Hello, I am a rich person living in a different country and working in bank. One of our even richer customers died in a plane crash a long time ago - look, heres a link to the BBC news story just to make it more realistic - and if we're quick, we can empty their $10,000,000 account into yours, totally legally, and then we'll spilt it evenly between us, meaning you'll have 40% of the money"

You will never get their details. They, however, will get yours, which is their intention.

Various people have been succesful in scamming the scammers, but they know what they are doing and never reply through traceable email accounts etc. See www.419eaters.com
  • Options
    Anyone else get emails from a person claiming to be from Russia and in need of help, asking for money, clothes, food, etc?
  • Options
    This is the one I just got now: (the fourth of its kind today alone)
    Dear Friend,

I know that this letter may come to you as a surprise. ( I'm telling you now mate, its no fucking surprise!!) I will like to introduce my self to you.I am the manager of bill and exchange BANK OF AFRICA (B.O.A) at foreign remittance department .There is a business I would want you to champion for me.In my department we discovered an abandoned sum of ($31.500.000 U.S) thirty one million five hundred thousands US dollars) . In an account that belongs to one of our foreign customer who died along with his entire family in 11th september 2001 in a plane crash.

Since we got information about the death of our deceased customer, we have been expecting his next of kin to come over and claim his money because we cannot release it unless somebody applies for it as next of kin or relation to the deceased as indicated in our banking guidelines,but unfortunately we learnt that all his supposed next of kin's or relation died along side with him at the plane crash leaving nobodybehind for the claim.

It is therefore upon this discovery that I now decided to make this businness proposal to you and release the money to you as the next of kin or relation to the deceased for safety and subsequent disbursement since nobody is coming for it and we dont want this money to go into the Bank treasury as unclaimed Bill. The Banking law and guideline here stipulates that if such money remained unclamed after six years, the money will be transfered into the Bank treasury as unclaimed fund.

The request of foreigner as next of kin in this business is occasioned by the fact that the customer was a foreigner and a Burkinabe cannot stand as next of kin to a foreigner. I agreed that 20 % of this money will be for you as a foreign partner, in respect to the provision of a foreign account,10 % will be set aside for expenses incured during the business and 70% would be for me. There after I will definatelyvisit your country for disbursement accoding to the percentages indicated.

Therefore to enable the immediate transfer of this fund to you as arranged,you must apply first to the bank as relations or next of kin of the deceased indicating your bank name, your bank account number, your private telephone and fax number for easy and effective communication and location where in the money will be remitted.All modalities of this transaction have been carefully worked out and once started will not take more than fourteen(14) working days, with your full support. this transaction is 100% risk free.it involve no any implication and no any precaution there after.

Upon receipt of your reply, I will send to you by fax or email the text of the application.I will not fail to bring to your notice that this transaction is hitch free and that you should not entertain any atom of fear as all required arrangements have been made for thetransfer.You should contact me immediately as soon as you receive this letter.

Trusting to hear from you immediately.

Yours faithfully,
    Amidou Sokodia Mr
    Bill and exchange manager,
    Bank Of Africa (B.O.A)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I LOVE those phishing bank emails, ahahaha!!!!

I love filling them in with bullshit details.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Lots of these, I think everyone gets them. They just go in the junk mail folder, almost all of them, so they don't bother me that much.