Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Having blood taken

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else have a really bad reaction to this? I had 4 little tubes taken from me this morning, felt a bit weird after and when I got outside I fainted on the floor. My house is directly opposite the doctors and when i managed to get up I couldn't see which was mine because my vision was so blurred even though its got a massive green sign and a big stick outside! It was awful and it took me a good hour to feel back to normal. It really hurt when she was taking it and now my arm is black and blue and hurts to straighten it

Haven't got a point just feeling sorry for myself! :grump:

Comments

• Options
    I'm a bit similar, I cant be doing with needles, unless that is my GP does it, he's a bloody genius with it, I barely even feel it go in and there is no sign of the wound after about an hour.
  • Options
    i have to lie down when i have my blood taken otherwise i feel very faint afterwards.
  • Options
    Gawd mine hurt like hell. Every time she changed the tube I could feel the needle digging in. Ouch! I thought she was only testing for aneamia so I didn't think she would take more than 1 tube. My arm is aching all the way up from the elbow with a nice big bruise :crying: sob
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    Gawd mine hurt like hell. Every time she changed the tube I could feel the needle digging in. Ouch! I thought she was only testing for aneamia so I didn't think she would take more than 1 tube. My arm is aching all the way up from the elbow with a nice big bruise :crying: sob

It shouldnt really hurt, but unfortunately some are better at it than others.
  • Options
    Awwwww.

Sometimes you just get unlucky. I've always thought it was harsh to steal your blood when they think you may be anaemic.
  • Options
    sounds like she didnt know wot she was doing...because you realy shouldnt feel a thing when they change the tube!
  • Options
    sounds like she didnt know wot she was doing

:yes:

I get drained 4-6 times a year abd they usually take 14-22 tubes of blood. They've got phlebotomy nurses at the clinic to take the blood and they're really good. They get motified if they leave a bruise :)
  • Options
    Yes, you shouldn't feel when they change the tube.

We have had counter-pressure jammed into our brains when we were taught venepuncture... It's so easy to just push the needle straight through the other side of the vein if you don't, and that bloody hurts.
  • Options
    I've had more blood tests than hot dinners over the last two years* and quite quickly got to the point where they just don't bother me. Some people seem to be better than others - the inpatient phlebotomist was definitely the best. She took 6 tubes and I never felt a thing. Lots of practice, I guess.

*total exaggeration, but I must be averaging 5 tubes per month.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i have to lie down when i have my blood taken otherwise i feel very faint afterwards.
    Me too, I had a blood test on Friday and the nurse fetched me a pillow and some water and I chilled ot for a bit after. I wanted a sticker!
    Any needles do this to me.
  • Options
    i've had it done loads of times and have always been ok. Last time i saw the tube and felt sick. Then i felt really dizzy and faint.
  • Options
    I have to go for a blood test, have I got anything to be worried about? lol

What is the actual problem, the injecting or changing the tubes over?
  • Options
    Nah, unless they say otherwise make sure you have something to eat and drink before you go.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I have to go for a blood test, have I got anything to be worried about? lol

What is the actual problem, the injecting or changing the tubes over?

Nothing really when you think about it rationally, its not like they are taking anywhere near enough blood to really matter. But for some people (myself included) the rational doesnt really counteract the emotional and you feel yourself getting faint. This is because you arent breathing properly of course, but again, you are panicing so you dont think straight.

My advice, close your eyes, do not watch it go in, breath evenly and deeply and do what you can to relax your arm.
  • Options
    I've had a couple of blood tests recently and the most recent was amazing - no pain, no bruise.
    But the first one I had, looked like I'd been in a pub brawl! My arm was black and blue! My GP was disgusted when he saw it. Suffice to say I don't go back to the same nurse...
  • Options
    Never had to have blood taken thank fucking god but if I do (which I know I probably will) I will just cry haha no, I put on a brave face for the sake of not looking like a litte kid but inside I am shitting myself. Needles are my worst enemies!! And when I do, all I will be able to do is think about this thread ewwwww lol
  • Options
    i've nearly fainted before. i had blood taken and then she asked me to stand on the scales. i wasn't standing on them long! so now i make sure i sit down for a few minutes.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Nothing really when you think about it rationally, its not like they are taking anywhere near enough blood to really matter. But for some people (myself included) the rational doesnt really counteract the emotional and you feel yourself getting faint. This is because you arent breathing properly of course, but again, you are panicing so you dont think straight.

My advice, close your eyes, do not watch it go in, breath evenly and deeply and do what you can to relax your arm.
    I dont mind the injectioon, I inject myself enougth, but I do have a fear of others injecting me, which may seem abit strange. lol

I once had a blood test and the nurse was wiggling around in my arm and it was fucking painfull.
  • Options
    I had a good 2 years running where I didn't faint. I used to faint for blood and even shots. Then I started fainting again last year. They only take one small tube, but I"m out.

I get mondo bruises also from it. It doesn't hurt, but the bruise will be almost the whole size of my inner elbow. Its nto the nurse, it happens no matter who takes it.

One other thing, they always get mad at me for :p They'll be taking my blood then the flow will just stop. Sometimes it will start up again after a few secons, but msot times they have to restick me.
  • Options
    I get weird after injections. Usually sorta 12-24 hours afterwards I feel all dizzy and funny... the best way of describing the feeling is by saying that all I want to do is lie on the bathroom floor.

It doesn't always happen. It happened after 2 of my 3 hep B immunisations, after 1 of my 3 cervical cancer trial immunisations and after my flu/pneumoccocal vaccines (but to be fair, that week I'd also had the implant put in and been treated for Chlamydia, so my body probably just gave up the ghost).

I just know now to be careful after anything like that, and to make sure I have someone in the house with me that evening and the evening after.

I'm too scared to go and give blood, because I'm little and I don't really have enough blood as it is!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, I'm scared of needles... too scared. I avoid them like the devil avoids incense.
    That said, a couple of years ago I had to have a blood test... Although it wasn't pleasant at all (I felt the blood being sucked out, awful) I can't say it affected me much afterwards. I was lying while they were taking it, and I practically jumped up just a little afterwards. No problems there.
  • Options
    Since May 05, I've had about twenty blood tests. Before that I think I'd had four and fainted after every single one! Now I lie down. Am getting really good with it now tho - the nurses are more worried about me than I am!

Was always worried about what would happen when (eventually!) I'm pregnant, all the blood tests, etc. Should be a pro at it by then! :)
  • Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH just rang up for the results and they say they're having to repeat some of the tests cos there was aproblem with my blood!! (which blatantly means they lost it or spilled it)

GIVE ME STRENGTH!!!! (literally if its anything like last time)

:grump:
  • Options
    Sounds like you had a novice do it for you! I had to have 6 vials of blood taken in August for routine tests in prenancy. The nurse struggled to get blood from any of my veins, she kept putting the needle straight through it! I had a whopping bruise & felt really faint after, I think it depends if it's done properly! To top it off when my midwife found that my results hadn't come back in early November, she chased them up only to find that they had gone missing! FOOLS! So I had to go back & have another 6 done 3 weeks ago.....NICE! (This time they were done correctly though, I didn't have a big bruise & I felt fine)
  • Options
    I had blood taken from my hand last Tuesday I've had pain in the hand since then (it's less painful than it was by a mile) and it came up in a bruise last Saturday (it's still a bit bruised now). If it's not better by Friday I'm going to see my GP.