Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Piperazines/BZP/PEP Pills

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
Transform have just released a briefing titled Piperazines – how to regulate an emerging recreational drug not covered by existing legislation. Long title, and a relatively long article, but it takes a good look at the issues around controlling substances, and approaches to this from other countries, including New Zealand.

TheSite has also developed a fact sheet on BZP, and I know some of you requested information while this was in development, so I thought I'd let you know it was there.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The transform briefing is good and covers all the points in good depth, however I'm not stunningly impressed with your BZP page.

Piperazine is a drug in itself, and it is covered by the medicines act, no one is really sure if BZP is covered, I suspect it isnt and the MHRA are just bluffing.

You give no warning about not mixing it with alcohol or that its a duiretic and that you should drink water with it.
  • Options
    Hi,

A couple of points on the BZP page, quiet well done overall.

EASEtm

EASE is not a BZP product, it should not be on the BZP page in case it becomes confused with BZP.

EASE is the name of a project we initiated at STARGATE to develop safer ecstasy alternatives. The first EASE trialled contained methylone. The clinical trial results are being collated and will be published some time.

None of the BZP products shipped from NZ (by us anyway) contained piperazine or any salts of piperazine. Piperazine is a medicine in NZ just like in the UK. It has no value in drug alternatives. BZP is definitely not a salt of piperazine.

In NZ now we have seen over 20 million pills containing BZP consumed with no deaths or significant lasting injuries, in fact there have been only 200 (approx) adverse events recorded, and even in the cities where the industry was sabotaged by rogue traders selling high dose multipacks to young people and drug naïve individuals emergency room presentations are dwindling.

They should be used sparingly though, without alcohol, and with water as it is a diuretic as buddha points out.
  • Options
    There is bit of confusion over the terms, obviously Piperazine is a drug in of itself, which is covered by the Medicines Act in the UK. But, piperazines also is a catch all term for the drugs in that group, BZP and TFMPP included.

Stayboy; how is the law working there at the moment, have they brought in the second section of the law yet? I know they initial Class D statute is in place but there was a delay for the other restrictions.