Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

grrrrrr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
bear with me..this might be quite long!

to any of you that suffer with ibs and other related abdominal pains - you might be able to sympathise. :(

ages ago it was suggested that i had ibs and since then i've been okay but when i was nervous i'd feel poorly. just things like that really.

now for the past 2 months and er, 1 week or so i've had near enough constant feelings of nausea and a tummy ache with it. for the first few weeks i also had severe diarhhea after i ate a bigger meal - i.e. after my tea. this passed but i still occasionally get the severe diarhhea (i've tried writing a food diary etc, doesn't seem to be brought on by anything).

so since then i've been seeing my doctor. she did some blood tests which came back fine. i then developed a pain to the right of my tummy which she suspected could be gall bladder problems so has put me on the (very long) waiting list to get an ultrasound. she also re-did my blood test (i rang up to get them yesterday and the receptionist said my doctor still had my notes - not sure why! and they'd leave a message with her. my mum rang today and left another message but still heard nothing. i can only assume this means the blood tests are normal again). she has also suggested i might need an endoscopy - but surely that means waiting until the results of the ultrasound and then being put on ANOTHER waiting list?!?!?!?!?! (my side doesn't really hurt anymore but i figure i may aswell have the ultrasound done anyway as they might be able to examine my tummy too).

i'm so fed up of it now. last week after a bout of the diarhhea and feeling horrible i went to a&e. i didn't do it lightly - my mum suggested i go as she thought they might admit me and do the tests. fat chance! they sent me to the out of hours GP who basically felt my tummy, said there was nothing to feel and said 'buy some immodium and go home'. the diarhhea had gone by then :\ (i obviously had to wait for it to pass before i went to a&e!).

my doctor has said if it gets worse to go back - but in the mean while am i just meant to put up with constantly (near enough) feeling ill and having tummy ache? i'm in my final year at uni, i have work to do dammit and i'm finding it's affecting my social life and like i can't always go to the gym when i want to.

i also seem to find i'm getting period type pains when i don't normally. :(

anybody any ideas?

thank you for reading and sorry it's so long. xx

Comments

• Options
    Only idea I can really come up with is keep going back to your GP, don't wait 'til it gets really bad, keep making appointments to go back whenever you're in pain. It might push them to think of other things.
  • Options
    Keep going back! I've suffered with pains and problems now for 14 years and htye have gradually got worse. For a long time I've just put up and shut up and now I'm in hell. The more you go back to the doctors the more they will realise you won't lie down and take it. Change doctors if you have to.
    The problem is with things like this, they can be related to so many different illnesses. It's a matter of pushing for different tests to be done. Also ask for some pain refief while your waiting for test results. Though I do find with my pains, no pain killer has ever worked apart from pethidine, when I had an injection in hospital. The relief was overwhelming until it wore off!
    However, I now have an understanding doctor, I went for blood tests and a stool test last week, I have to wait 3 weeks and take some pills he gave me. Then I will be having a camera down my throat to my stomach and what not. He said we'll keep on trying 'til we find out what's wrong.
  • Options
    It sucks, but welcome to the NHS. Waits, tests, uncertainty, waiting lists, waiting lists, waiting lists. I know it's tempting to try to find ways to skip ahead, and I understand totally how shit it is constantly feeling ill, but try to remember that waiting list is made up of other people, and they all feel just as crappy as you do.

In the meantime, there are things you can try. Peppermint capsules help bowel spasms and pain, as does plenty of water, gentle exercise and small, regular meals. Paracetamol can take the edge off sharper pains (ibuprofen can irritate your stomach, so not ideal). Immodium works ok as a last resort.

By the way, if it is IBS that you have, it will not show up on any tests. These blood tests, scans, endoscopies they do, it is all to rule out anything more serious, so don't worry about all your tests coming back negative - there are still things they can do to sort you out.
  • Options
    thanks for the replies. :)

i have a really understanding doctor. i don't normally see her as you're often waiting 2 hours to see her. when i first saw her about it (i'd previously seen another doctor and as i felt okay at the time of the appointment, he said not to worry) and she listened and got some blood tests done for me straight away, i actually said to her 'thank you for taking me seriously!' - she was quite shocked.

kaff - yeh i know there are other people on the waiting list too. i guess i was just fed up (still am) and thought it might help me to get somewhere. also i was in quite a bit of pain. she said i have ibs but the symptoms i have i.e. nausea and tummy ache need further investigating as it's not something my ibs has presented before.
  • Options
    Another thing to ask your GP would be is there somewhere else that has a shorter wait for the tests.
  • Options
    Another thing to ask your GP would be is there somewhere else that has a shorter wait for the tests.

:yes:

You have a choice of which hospital you are referred to, these days! Even if it's a bit of a travel, it might be worth it for some quicker answers.

And a good, understanding, persistent GP is the best first step you can have. There are a whole lot of shit ones out there!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    There are a whole lot of shit ones out there!

i refuse to see my actual GP after she remarked that 'i'd put on a few pounds' in a rather matter of fact manner! i'd put on 4lbs in 9 months or something. :\ i got all upset and didn't eat breakfast that day, haha.

my doctors is back at home so i might ask about the waiting lists where i'm at uni. :)
  • Options
    I think the period pain you are experiencing is to do with your intestine rubbing against your uterus. This would happen if your intestine is bloated or indeed if it is infact time for your period and your uterus is slightly bloated, which i experience every month
  • Options
    *bump*

finally had my gastroscopy today. i decided i wanted to get sedated for the procedure so i was given some valium. they started to do it but i fought back quite a bit and wriggled. didn't like it at all! i remember that and then i seem to remember them saying ok we'll have to try something else and then after that i don't remember anything. on my release sheet it says i had rohypnol (well they called it something else) - so that'll explain why! as all i could remember was me struggling i thought i was only in there 5 minutes but apparantly it was about half an hour! in a way i'm glad i don't remember but i want to remember too.

turns out i have duodenitis which is inflammation of the duodenum. it's the bit beneath your stomach and it can be caused by a bacteria called helio bacter and it can lead to a stomach ulcer. so i have to go back to the doctors on monday.

feel okay now, still sleepy and lightheaded with a sore throat.

anyway just thought i'd report back!
  • Options
    Glad you've got it sorted :)

I'm having real problems with my stomach at the moment including stomach upsets for no apparent reason. I don't know what brings them on. I went to the doctor about it last week and he put me on some meds (2 week treatment - stops my stomach producing acid) but they are not working tbh. I know it sounds daft, but I think they've made my condition worse because I'm now also getting heartburn type pains. Meh.