Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Universities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have NO idea which one to go forrrrr :nervous: Does anyone know when we have to make THE DECISION?

On my UCAS application I put down 5 which I realise now is a bit stupid cuz I could have stuck an extra one on there.

I've got:

Hull
Kingston
Plymouth
Uni of Kent (at Canterbury)
Roehampton

I had an urge a while back to go to Hull. To be nearer my cousin, aunt, gran etc and an entirely new experience blah blah. But now I am chickening out due to missing home, friends, bf and not having my ma there to rely on.

Okay I live in Gillingham, Kent. Now with the ones in London and Canterbury I know that I can commute but won't it take forever? I haven't passed my driving test yet..(Just had 6 lessons) Is it enough time? Arghhh. I guess I could live there but it would be veryvery scary.

I am really scared of going to a uni and having no friends. I've been a bit of a loner in the past like when I chose to do Beauty Therapy. That was horrible and made me feel like shit and I reeeeally don't want to feel like that again.

Everyone I know is either getting offers and I dont even have a first choice yet. It's doin ma head in.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm confused.

Have you sent your form off to UCAS yet?

If you haven't then the absolute deadline for doing that is sometime in January but you are better off doing it as soon as possible. Once you've done that, you sit back and wait, get on with whatever you're doing at the moment and over the weeks and months responses from the places you have applied to will come in.

Once you've had all your answers you then have to make a decision, as to your firm choice and your insurance, but that's not til March time.

xx
  • Options
    I've filled out the application form online and my referees have checked it so my college just need to send it off. March seems really close.
  • Options
    So it should be off any day now then.

Wait til you get your offers/interviews etc, life may get a lot easier.

Personally I'd stay away from Kingston, but then I live near it.
  • Options
    what are you hoping to study?
    and how much do/dont you want to move out and live at uni?
  • Options
    English Literature and...I'm not entirely sure..On one hand I don't want to because it'll be scary and if I make no friends then I'll be depresso plus...being away from family friends boyfriend.

On another hand I do because I figure it might be harder to make friends if I'm having to commute. Confusing
  • Options
    Hey I live just up the road from you (Rainham) and I commute to Reading to go to uni so these things don't take forever! I know loads of people that live in Medway and commute to Canterbury, it is a very popular thing to do. And if you drive there are plenty of roads to park on round Canterbury uni without having to drive right into the town and round the horrible one-way system.

Anyway one of the big decisions you need to make is whether you want to live at home or not, and then go from there. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thankyou :)

Hey I live in Rainham too! :p
  • Options
    don't not go somewhere because of relationship ties.

also you say you're worried about making friends etc - i don't think commuting would be the best option.
  • Options
    moving away is scary, but you shouldnt let it stop you. nor should worrying about not making friends stop you. everyone feels exactly the same but i'd say nearly everyone is proved wrong. not everyone makes friends instantly or quickly, but you will make friends eventually!
  • Options
    I would say live there for the first year at least, even if you do go to Roehampton or Canterbury and decide to live at home in your second and third years. None of them are so far away that you can't make a journey home regularly if you get really homesick and don't like it there, but at the same time you can still have the experience of living away from home and it will give you the opportunity to meet new people etc.