Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New computer problems...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, so I got my new computer, am running into some issues though.

1: The BIOS is so slow. Could I have damaged it installing the heatsink? I do not recommend anyone getting the scythe infinity, it's so massive I couldn't fit it properly and the LGA775 method of attatching heatsinks is a bit rubbish anyway. It takes about 2-3 minutes from the start to load into the BIOS.

2. Main issue, which may be causing 1, is I'm fucked with my hard drives. I got 2xHitachi T7K500 250GB hard drives, and want to set them up in RAID0 for faster performance. However, it just wont work!!! There are three different controllers on the motherboard, I started with the intel... followed the instructions:

- go to bios change IDE configuration from IDE Standard to RAID
- restart and prses ctrl+I in POST to set up raid... this bit doesnt work. Ctrl+I doesn't do anything. After a while it comes up with 'intel storage controller' at the top but displays none of the options on screen. 2 minutes later it says something about not finding the boot information so please restart.

So after that, I changed the controller to the 'Ez something' which is ASUS' own controller. the theory is you just plug it in, change the jumper and it does it for you. I got a bit fruther with this, with some of the things working correctly. However in the BIOS where it lists devices none are detected.

I tried to install WinXP to see if I could get round it, but then it said no hard drives detected.

I don't know what else to do tbh.

Comments

• Options
    Have you looked for support on your Mobo's manufacturer website. I know for my DFI board there is extensive support, and I imagine there would be for ASUS.
  • Options
    Trying on their website but it isnt brilliant.
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I tried to install WinXP to see if I could get round it, but then it said no hard drives detected.

I don't know what else to do tbh.

Windows needs a driver disk (floppy disk, btw) for most most RAID setups. You should be able to download it from the Asus website if it's an Asus RAID.

Then you just press F6 near the beginning of Windows setup and follow the instructions.
  • Options
    Issue I'm having is that its not appearing in BIOS. I just tried with one hard drive and managed to get it to display (after a fair bit of fiddling), but it doesnt find them otherwise. Maybe because 2 doesn't count as an IDE device? :confused:
  • Options
    Almost definitely the problem with the bios taking a long time to progress is related to the drives. Normally the system start up will only pause whilst it's doing drive detection, so the unnaturally long time normally points to some kind of mis-configuration, either cable not quite in properly, or the wrong way around, or incorrect jumpers.

I'd double-check the cabling, then see if there's any settings that allow you to turn off a controller if you have nothing connected to it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It might be a stupid thing to suggest, but anyway:
    If your drives are S-ATA, are you sure you plugged them in two slots that can be used for RAID? Not every pair will do, as far as I know.
  • Options
    I figured it out. One of the hard drives was dead. Thanks all!

Now just need to get it set up. I really need a KVM switch or something, rather than swapping cables every few minutes.