Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Friend and boy. Help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'd like some advice.

A friend broke up with her boyfriend 4 months ago. Her boyfriend is one of my closest friends and I've supported him throughout the breakup. He's been a huge support for me over the past few years, and we've been getting very close recently. I like him a lot, and he likes me too, and we've only been holding off from doing anything because of his ex-girlfriend, and the fact she is a friend of mine. I don't know what to do. Is it completely unacceptable for things to happen between us? I know people say you can't do anything with a friends ex, but I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    They've broken up. It's fair game.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    They've broken up. It's fair game.
    disagree, there are certain things you dont do to your mates and gettin with their ex s one of them

to the OP, i`d say it depends on who you are closest to...

ignore the fact that you like him, if you had to choose between the two of them as FRIENDS, who would you pick?

if her....leave him alone

if him.... go for it
  • Options
    I reckon friends ex's are off limits, but only for a certain period of time. The poor guy can't stay single for ever. :p

Leave it a while longer, and before you do decide to do anything, ask her subtly if she'd be okay with it.

If she wouldn't like it, don't get with him, boys aren't worth losing friends over.
  • Options
    i reckon you should talk to her, see how she feels about it. I actually think its kinda selfish to say "if ive been out with someone you cant have him" because theres always a reason for the breakup - it didnt work out, so why should you and he be miserable just to please your friend, cant she be happy that your happy? just my opinion ive always been a bit confused about the ex's being off limits thing.
  • Options
    There's a few things to consider. How close are you with each of them? It's stupid to risk a great friendship for a bit of a fling with her ex, but then it's stupid to pass up something that could be amazing for the sake of someone who may not even be your friend in a few years. I tend to ask the question "If he was in my shoes, would he do the same to me?" Also, how and why did they break up? If it was fairly amicable, then she probably wouldn't object too much to you going out with him. It doesn't always have to be a choice between them.
  • Options
    I would have thought it'd be okay mainly because it was her who broke up with him. Have a word with your friend and see what she thinks.
  • Options
    Personally I think it's okay to date your friends ex. They broke up for a reason, but of course you have to take into context why the split up. But if you like each other, then why not? Although, you could wreck two friendships in one go here.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    disagree, there are certain things you dont do to your mates and gettin with their ex s one of them

Rubbish.

If she doesn't want him why should she stop her mate from having him?

If she behaves like the dog in the manger then she isn't a very good friend.

I'd go for it.