Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Holding In your sneezes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this must be the worst thing for your respiratory system other than smoking. why do ppl do this, is it out of politeness?

Comments

• Options
    I would have thought it was out of politeness, Can't think of any other reason why you would want to.
  • Options
    I don't mean to but sometimes I do accidentally. If I ever do it deliberately it's for the sake of politeness or lack of a tissue.
  • Options
    I hear your heart stops for 6 seconds when you sneeze.

I don't think theres any damage done.
  • Options
    I sometimes do it as I sneeze bizarrely! So does my mum and we don't know why and only come accross 1 other person the same.
    I do lots of little sneezes, sometimes up to about 12, instead of just one or 2 big ones.
    If strangers didn't stop everuthing they were doing just to stare at me sneezing then maybe I'd be more open about it!!!!!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I used to do that because it felt funny, but stopped when someone told me I could have a stroke or something like that.
    I don't really see why anyone would do it, since when is sneezing impolite? That's like saying that turning your head to look in the direction a noise came from is impolite: Madness!
  • Options
    How the hell do you hold a sneeze in? I dunno if I've ever even done it.
  • Options
    I do it if I've just sneezed and got my hands/sleeves covered in snot. I also sometimes do it accidently.
  • Options
    I find people holding their sneezes in - or making that pathetic little "tsh" noise while holding their nose - pretty daft, and annoying. The whole point of a sneeze is to expell air (and the rest...) so why not go for broke and give it a massive "ACHOO"* as it's better for you, and also the way that sneezes are meant to be!

*preferably covering your schnozz with a hanky, or at least your hands :thumb:
  • Options
    I had no idea it was that damaging. I usually hold in sneezes under certain circumstances (e.g. silent classroom), but otherwise I just let it outl. :p
  • Options
    this must be the worst thing for your respiratory system other than smoking. why do ppl do this, is it out of politeness?

Please provide proof to this ludicris claim.

I remember a couple questions in a health class years ago and even researched just now only to find that the only thing it actually does is that it may, but not likely, cause damage to your ear drum because of pressure.

As for me, I"ll try to hold back if I'm in a theater or someplace quite, though sometimes it backfires and just sounds like I just blew snot everywhere. Otherwise, always hold a klenex up to your nose :yes:
  • Options
    I would have thought it would run the risk of blasting snotty slime up your nasal cavaties and sinuses.

Reason for thinking this is that divers/fliers are taught not to do the 'hold your nose and blow' thing to equalise pressure if you have a cold for this reason, and if I'm understanding you right the action of holding in a sneeze is basically the same.
  • Options
    Captain wrote:
    How the hell do you hold a sneeze in? I dunno if I've ever even done it.

Ditto :confused:
  • Options
    Have you tried to?
  • Options
    I can't hold it down and have problems to make it not noisy.

When my mother does not know I am around and I sneeze she nearly has a heart attack everytime.

I HARDLY sneeze tho... I often do it on purpose (tickling my nose hair) when in the shower, because it feels funny, but along the day usually never.... maybe once in two or three weeks AT BEST (without inducing it)
  • Options
    God I sneeze loads! Usually in the mornings and when I'm tired or after I've sprayed perfume.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I find people holding their sneezes in - or making that pathetic little "tsh" noise while holding their nose - pretty daft, and annoying. The whole point of a sneeze is to expell air (and the rest...) so why not go for broke and give it a massive "ACHOO"* as it's better for you, and also the way that sneezes are meant to be!

:yes:

I find them little burp type sneezes people do so annoying...it seems to me that the people that do this are also the ones that sneeze about 15 times in a row, one or two big loud snotty sneezes is where the fun is not 20 "tsh" noises. Oh well thats just my opinion, I am sure some people out there find the little burp sneezes cute. :yuck: