Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Regarding this laptop theft...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Nothing substantial about this to link to yet, but it makes me wonder, if an employee of the bank (Nationwide) took home sensitive information to make a shedlaod of money, of his/her own volition or under duress, how would it be reported in the media? The bank is claiming that there is nothing in the notepad that could be used to take customers' money, but I would think that if it's still missing, someone would be prepared to pay a substantial sum for it on the black market, and find a way to make it pay...

Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Comments

• Options
    I have no idea what you are on about.
  • Options
    Apparently a laptop with millions of bank details from nationwide customers was stolen yesterday.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Apparently a laptop with millions of bank details from nationwide customers was stolen yesterday.

According to BBC it was stolen three months ago.

I guess how useful it is depends on what's on it. If it just has names and addresses I guess the usefulness for identity fraud is limited (you could get the same by mugging a postman). If it inlcudes things like NI numbers, date of birth, etc it could be more useful.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have no idea what you are on about.
    Still, thanks for sharing that with us...
  • Options
    I guess how useful it is depends on what's on it. If it just has names and addresses I guess the usefulness for identity fraud is limited (you could get the same by mugging a postman). If it inlcudes things like NI numbers, date of birth, etc it could be more useful.
    That's my point, though. If it did contain the kind of info that could do a lot of damage, would they try to play it down? Almost certainly, is my guess. Tin foil hat territory, perhaps, but I think that's just the way these things are conducted, and the public needs to start reading between the lines more.
  • Options
    It's unlikely that it did have the information that is being implied in the media, because it's only a news story if there's a threat to public data.

It will be the laptop of a senior person, probably in IT, with access to case management systems, nothing more.
  • Options
    Hmmm, Kermit's Xmas list has "Laptop" on it.... :yeees:
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    Still, thanks for sharing that with us...

Well if you post a thread with no reference to anything, how am I supposed to know?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well if you post a thread with no reference to anything, how am I supposed to know?
    Well, he completely explained the news story so, what more reference do you need?
  • Options
    Fucks sake. :rolleyes:

The OP refers to "a laptop" and a bank. How am I supposed to know what the story is?
  • Options
    There is more info on it now, although it was still a big news story yesterday afternoon, before I posted about it...
    Millions at risk in laptop theft

Eleven million Nationwide customers may have been put at risk of identity crime after an employee's laptop was stolen.

The computer with customer information on it was stolen during a domestic burglary three months ago.

But details of the serious security lapse are only just emerging.

Nationwide has informed the authorities and will be writing to its 11m customers to give them security advice in the next few weeks.

It is reassuring customers that no PIN numbers, account passwords or memorable information was on the laptop.

But it does not deny that names and account numbers could have been.

If this information was obtained by identity thieves, they could attempt to take out credit cards or open loans in customers' names.

So far there is no indication that has happened according to Nationwide and it said nobody has lost any money.

But if the data is used by criminals it could be some time before any evidence is seen and the fraud attempts may not involve Nationwide.

The names and addresses could be used to attempt fraud elsewhere.

'Appalling'

Diane Gaston of the National Consumer Council told BBC Radio 4's Money Box she is angry customers were not told sooner.

"A three month delay is appalling. People should be able to trust that if a problem has happened they will be told about it straight away."

Nationwide is still refusing to give much detail.

It said it is following police advice and does not want to cause alarm.

It said the laptop was "security protected" but would not explain if that meant the data was encrypted or coded to foil identity thieves.

Peter Wood from computer security firm First Base Technologies told BBC Radio 4's Money Box he did not think it would be difficult for thieves to access the data.

And he warned: "The chat rooms many people use are full of people trading credit card details online in real time at all hours of the day and night."

The financial regulator, the FSA, and the Office of the Information Commissioner have both been informed.

They say they are continuing to discuss the situation with Nationwide.

But neither is taking any other action at this stage.

It's funny how the Beeb like to make every sentence a separate paragraph. Looks kinda weird on a message board...