Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Butternut squash

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there any easy way of peeling a butternut squash? I know you can roast them so their skin comes off but I don't really want to do that. Cutting off the skin is really difficult!!

Comments

• Options
    speed peeler works fine enough. What are you using butternut for just out of interest.
  • Options
    Umm in a curry tonight but I put it in anything, soup, stew, pasta, risotto...

I've never used a peeler, usually just use a knife
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It is easier if you cut it into pieces first, especially if they are small pieces... I love butternut squash.
  • Options
    They go very well with bacon and feta in pasta.
  • Options
    Butternut squash and chilli soup is delicious. Roasting the seeds and sprinkling spices on top is also delish.
  • Options
    As LadyJade says, chop it into bits.

Even then its still a bugger, but its worth it.
  • Options
    I chopped it in half and put it in the oven for 20 mins in a tray with a bit of water. I just scooped the insides out. Magic :thumb:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Uhmmm, yum!

I don't know if anbyone has come across the Eat the Seasons website before, I love it. Here is a link to the page on Butternut Squash, including preparation tips and links to recipes. I always look there first if I need a vegetable recipe.