Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

question about baby presents for mummies and daddies out there

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(hope this is in the right place !)
2 close mates of mine have just discovered they're having a baby!! i want to buy them lots of little pressies for them both+the baby...and give it to them when the little un arrives. i though of getting useful, practical stuff, like baby wipes,etc.
so...post your ideas for me please. anything you found useful for after babies r born?
cheers

Comments

• Options
    ooh i was gonna post an exact same thread, cos two of my best friends are both preggers too :D

and i wanted to know what to buy instead of clothes, like useful stuff! great minds :]
  • Options
    How about a photo frame with "my first year" on etc.. and they add pics for the year.

Or... A baby wipe warmer, I've never used one, But, With the weather being cold at the moment, I think they are probably very handy to have.

Bottle warmers are great, I've only just stopped using mine 3 years later!

I'll probably think of some more... :chin:
  • Options
    nappies will always be helpful!

generally i would ask them what they need rather than buying loads of things just because they're cute. i know it's tempting. :(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Give them a photo of yourself and tell them they should keep it near the baby so he/she knows what success is like. :p
  • Options
    Take em round a proper cooked home made meal, like Shepherds Pie or something easy, but a real meal. Shortly after baby's born they'll be rushed off their feet.

Little book of IOUs. Babysitting, shopping runs, cleaning session, lawn mowing.

I'm not a mummy but they went down a treat with a mate, one of the most useful things she got apparently.
  • Options
    Take em round a proper cooked home made meal, like Shepherds Pie or something easy, but a real meal. Shortly after baby's born they'll be rushed off their feet.

I'm not a mummy but they went down a treat with a mate, one of the most useful things she got apparently.

I think most people who rather have this than actual presents. You could also buy a toy mobile or something.
  • Options

That is a fantastic idea for a close friend (otherwise might seem a bit odd).

Would like to be able to tell you what would have been useful for me after having my first baby but all I can remember wanting in the whole world was to sleep!
  • Options
    I second the nappy suggestion.

Asking them what they need is probably best. The best thing we got was from Mr Glitterys works, £100 on a Boots Giftcard, kept us in nappies, wipes and bottles for ages :thumb:
  • Options
    i think clothes is fine as a gift. Im purposely not buying too many as I know ill get loads of outfits as gifts.
    Toys are a crap gift as tiny babies arent interested in anyting except boobies and cuddles.
    Id second thesuggestion of home cooked food, and also some IOUs t come round and clean their house for them or hire a cleaner for them a couple of hours a week for the first month. That would be a truly excellent gift that I hope smeone does for me, because keeping on top of the drudgery while getting used to parenthood is quite difficult.
  • Options
    If you are buying clothers, buy something for nine month olds because they will be inundated with newborn stuff...
  • Options
    Buy the mum to be some pampering stuff for when the baby has arrived. So hopefully after a while her partner can have the baby whilst she has a lovely bath.
    Mums are often forgotten when a baby arrives and can feel a little crappy on and off.
    Also instead of going around and just getting the fun bit (holding the baby) help out with some chores.
  • Options
    Id second thesuggestion of home cooked food, and also some IOUs t come round and clean their house for them or hire a cleaner for them a couple of hours a week for the first month. That would be a truly excellent gift that I hope smeone does for me, because keeping on top of the drudgery while getting used to parenthood is quite difficult.

Too right. That would have been heaven. I was given some beautiful pressies for my son but the things I really appreciated was stuff just like having a friend around for the afternoon so I could leave them to cuddle the baby, have a chat and put the hoover round. How sad LOL
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Mums are often forgotten when a baby arrives and can feel a little crappy on and off.

More often it's the Dad.
    Also instead of going around and just getting the fun bit (holding the baby) help out with some chores.

Did you want that? Mrs MoK just wanted some time for us to get our lives sorted without a constant stream of visitors...
  • Options
    Did you want that? Mrs MoK just wanted some time for us to get our lives sorted without a constant stream of visitors...
    Exactly. I know I wasnt up for the mountain of visitors I had in the days after I got out of hospital.
  • Options
    only because they probably did fuck all except hassle you for a hold of the baby and probably wake it up, then handit back wen it cries.
    Visitors that make themselves useful are a different story.
  • Options
    Visitors that make themselves useful are a different story.

To me it depended if they were really close or not. I wanted my Mum and my best friend around, but everyone else had to wait.