Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Death sentence lifted

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6154048.stm

Some good news. Well done to all those involved in campaigning for this and Musharraf for commuting the death sentence.

Comments

• Options
    well done, should of been done over 10years ago tbh
  • Options
    'bout time.
  • Options
    I disagree- why should he not be tried and punished according to the law of the country he committed the crime in?

I find the death penalty abhorrent, but he's only had his sentence commuted because he's British. He shouldn't be treated any differently, and should hang unless all death sentences are commuted.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I disagree- why should he not be tried and punished according to the law of the country he committed the crime in?

I find the death penalty abhorrent, but he's only had his sentence commuted because he's British. He shouldn't be treated any differently, and should hang unless all death sentences are commuted.

But it was (as the article claims) in self defence. Do you think someone should be put to death because they acted in self defence?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But it was (as the article claims) in self defence. Do you think someone should be put to death because they acted in self defence?

To be fair that claim was rejected by the courts.

I support the commutation of the death penalty because whether he is guilty or innocent I think the death penalty is generally wrong.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

He was found guilty of murder in a court of law, and sentenced to the appropriate punishment for murder in that country.

I don't think he should hang because I am against the death penalty, but I don't think he should be reprieved when the rest of the men on death row won't be. I don't think he should get preferential treatment because of who he is, and that is what has happened. There's even talk of him being allowed back to this country, which is even worse.
  • Options
    At the bottom of the OP's link theres -
    The sentence could have been revoked if Khan's family had accepted an offer of blood money, but they refused.

What's that all about then ?
  • Options
    In sharia law you the victim's family can accept a payment from the murderer's family instead of the murderer being executed.

They had originally accepted £50000, but then changed their minds.
  • Options
    Under Islamic law, the family of a murdered person can demand "blood money", kind of compensation for the murder, and in exchange they will allow the murderer to stay alive.

The taxi driver's family decided that seeing this murderer hang was more important to them. Which is something that I can sympathise with, and its interesting to see that Tony Blair isn't sticking up for their rights.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    He was found guilty of murder in a court of law

How many courts should he have been tried in.

In this case there were several, one of which acquitted him :eek:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    He was found guilty of murder in a court of law,

A Sharia court.
  • Options
    Still a court of law.

I can see kermit's point actually. As far as I'm concerned this guy is blatantly not guilty and as, as MOK pointed out been aquitted in a secular court. But he shouldn't get special treatment because of who he is, it should be because he didn't do anything wrong.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Still a court of law.

It's not a court of law of a democratically elected system. It's a court of a self appointed elite of religous freaks.
  • Options
    In Japan rape, carries a maximum jail term of just two years.
    In America, they'll execute someone who isn't mentally sound.
    In Pakistan, Sharia law, is the law, whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    No, Sharia law is one of the laws in Pakistan. It is a parallel legal system to the elected state's system (as I understand it).
  • Options
    Which makes what difference exactly? He was aquitted by the secular court and condemned by the sharia court, and where is he now? In prison in Pakistan, which says something about how the system works there.

If you'd like the change the system, feel free, but that's not really the point is it? The point is that he's getting his punishment changed because he's british, not because they decided they might be wrong. That's not fair on all the other people sitting on death row is it?
  • Options
    You don't see how that makes a difference?

I give up then.
  • Options
    Can if you want. But is it fair that he gets special treatment because he's british? what if I said people who are white should get special treatment, or that aryan's should get special treatment?

The legal code is completely irrelevant. Whether he's guilty or not doesn't matter, that Sharia law is a complete arsewipe and you only have to look at the fact that rape requires 4 male witnesses (or the woman will get punished for adultery) to see that, doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Can if you want. But is it fair that he gets special treatment because he's british?

No, that isn't fair. However, would you rather he was executed in pursuit of some notion of fairness?

And the legal code is relevant. The Sharia courts are not accountable to anyone but themselves, unlike the state run justice system.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

he was found innocent in a criminal court, through self defence - however self defence doesnt apply in islamic law which he then got tried under to appease the cab drivers family.....
  • Options
    He's not exactly getting special treatment voluntarily from Pakistan because he's British is he? He's having his sentence commutted because of quiet diplomacy by the British government.

Since the British government does not believe in the death penalty it's only to be expected they will try to save as many British lives as possible.

I wonder if those who say he shouldn't have got special treatment would stick to their principles and tell the British government not to intervene on their behalf if they found themselves facing the death penalty abroad... :chin:
  • Options
    The other thing is Musharraf does seem to be taking tenanative steps to liberalising the Pakistani justice system and removing the power of the religious courts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/16/wpak16.xml

The dropping of the death sentence needs to be seen in that light as well.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, that isn't fair. However, would you rather he was executed in pursuit of some notion of fairness?

And the legal code is relevant. The Sharia courts are not accountable to anyone but themselves, unlike the state run justice system.
    No, I don't think he should have been executed. You know my views on capital punishment. I think my thoughts on sharia law are also clear by now.

However the point is that he should have been pardoned by the president because the sharia court was wrong, or aquitted under Pakistani legal process (which I realise he has been though to little effect), not had his sentance commuted because he was british and prince charles asked them to do it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

The article said he was cleared by the high court, but then a Sharia court which worked differently (and apparently unjustly?) sentenced him to the death penalty.

I agree in a way, but I disagree also :confused: I'm confused :(
  • Options
    No, it isn't fair on the other people in the death row that this man's sentence was commuted just because he is British. But if the sentence was undeserved in the first place, then it wouldn't have been fair on him to have been executed. Therefore if his life was spared it is definitely a step forward - regardless of the fact that there may be many others who are in the same situation and aren't lucky enough to have their lives spared.

Just because you can't save all the lives doesn't mean the life that can be saved shouldn't.