Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Winter's got its grips on me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm bloody tired all the time with all these dark mornings.
I'm naturally a tired person anyway but winter really takes it out of me.
I know if I went to bed now, I'd sleep through 'til the morning :(
Anyone else feeling the same?
I used to get SAD, where I'd get slightly depressed at the beginning of this time of year, now I'm just tired!

Comments

• Options
    Its the winter blues:(
  • Options
    Do you have a natural light box or whatever those are called? My mom suffers that and she has one. She says it helps her alot.
  • Options
  • Options
    Go on a sun bed, it usually makes me feel like summer is hear again. ;)
  • Options
    I used to suffer quite badly with SAD, I've not noticed it creeping in yet this winter so I'm hopeful that I'll get through it unscathed. I have my lightbox under the bed in case it starts getting to me.

Like you Vicky, I could easily sleep right through the dark hours some nights if I allowed myself to :yes:
  • Options
    whats this lightbox people keep mentioning?

i dont know what to suggest VV apart from try to keep active. don't go to bed early even if you want to.. i dont get depressed but i do notice a slight difference in my mood. its easier to stay indoors and i hate the rain it upsets me :(
  • Options
    It was almost dark by the time I got up today :(

I don't have SAD though, I'm the same in the summer.
  • Options
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I believe you can buy these in larger Boots stores in the UK but I think they are quite expensive.
  • Options
    You can get them in ordinary household bulb types now at relatively little cost.

http://www.jerseylightbulbs.com/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=402&cid=121
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    You can get them in ordinary household bulb types now at relatively little cost.

http://www.jerseylightbulbs.com/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=402&cid=121
    oooh now i understand. i'd never heard of different types of light in the home affecting your mood but i guess it makes sense.
  • Options
    The only problem I can see with the household lightbulbs is that, obviously, the further away from the lightsource you are, the smaller the proportion of the light that is going to hit you - hence why it's usually recommended that you sit no more than 3 ft from a lightbox - but I suppose you could put it in a lamp, or even knock up your own lightbox (or get your Dad or a handy friend to do it, if you couldn't do it yourself.)

Failing that, anythings got to be better than nothing.
  • Options
    A lot of people get depressed in the winter.

I don't, I Just get even more lazy, If that's possible. I can sleep forever when it's dark, I wake up wondering what century i'm in... No kiddin'!! :lol:
  • Options
    It's nature, innit?

Back in the day, before electricity and modern life and whatnot, you'd sleep when it was dark. Getting more and more tired as the days get shorter is merely harking back to your cavewoman roots.

Not that that is really of any assistance. I second the lightbox/daylight bulb suggestions :)
  • Options
    I'm not depressed because of it, I used to have SAD slightly, now I'm just bloody tired :(
    I'll look into those bulbs. Be good if I could get timers for my lights!
  • Options
    Why the timers?
  • Options
    so i can wake up to a more natural light, without having to wake when it's dark and get out of bed and turn the light on
  • Options
    I see your point. What you could do with is a lamp with a dimmer switch, on a timer, so that you could start off with it dim and gradually turn it up over a short period of time! I wonder if such a thing exists?
  • Options
  • Options
    I must be wierd. Summer makes me lazy - i'm always so damn hot I can't be bothered to move. Winter makes me feel alive. It gives me a buzz. I get more done in the winter - nothing better than a crisp frosty morning and low blinding sun...!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's starting to affect me too... Not as depression or tiredness, but laziness. Just one of the reasons that I hate hate hate winter...