Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Love me :-)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone fancy loving me? I find I only find self worth from others approval, and right now that's fairly low (although got a boost earlier when two girls came and brought me hot chocolate in exchange for maths help). I'm not sure why I'm like this, but I end up feeling down if girls don't think I'm 'really cool' or fancy me or whatever.

This isn't a thread pleading for *hugs* or 'aww i think ur cool' or whatever, actually. I just want to know whats wrong with me? Why is it so difficult to be happy on my own? I could be happy being single so long as I got plenty of female attention... but why not just happy being me for a while?

I feel a bit down right now. Much love to you all

Comments

• Options
    We ALL need reassurance from someone at some point in order to feel happy. It's human nature to thrive on appreciation and praise.

I know I need to hear things like 'you're really good at...' and 'You're a good mate' etc. Without it I'd feel pretty shit! I just think it's normal.
    You can't be confident without some shred of evidence supporting why.

It's motivational, it's always great to get reassurance from people. I don't think you should be made to feel inadequate because you need approval from people. We're all different and get different emotional 'highs' from different things.
  • Options
    I agree. Without it, existence is pointless.
  • Options
    It's normal. Reassurance from your peers is a huge part of growing into - and liking - yourself. Just as if you were being constantly told how shit you were then it would be awful, being told you are wonderful constantly is (theoretically) amazing.

There's nowt wrong with enjoying praise or kind words, but when other people's kind (often throwaway, if we're honest) comments are the sum total of your self-worth then there's a little bit of a problem. Ideally, you need to get to the point where this praise (or cricitism) is nice and always appreciated, but is also superfluous because you know yourself inside out and are already aware of how great you are (and what your flaws are).

It takes a lot of time, but it'll come. Not only are you young and in a new chapter of your life but you've also had the carpet ripped from under you in your love life, it's understandable you'd be focusing on negatives and needing to feed your insecurities with approval from others. You seem to be a very analytical person which is good in that it makes you very sensitive to people and situations, but I can't help think it would be wonderful for you to be able to switch that brain of yours off once in a while ;)
  • Options
    I don't love you, sorry mate.

keep looking.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    You seem to be a very analytical person which is good in that it makes you very sensitive to people and situations, but I can't help think it would be wonderful for you to be able to switch that brain of yours off once in a while ;)

I'm like that. Sometimes I'm like "For gods sake, stop thinking about it, just do it you prick"
  • Options
    Just be glad that you don't attract depressed/paranoid/jobless/ 30somethings with no desire to do anything other than get drunk all the time and cling on to you because they think they have a chance of getting with you even though you have told them other wise. :mad:
  • Options
    Ah, cheer up. I know how it feels... I'm sorry for drawing on a tangent on my own life, but i would never stay alive without it. I crave other peoples' attention and envy. I've got so many layers of facades on myself that I don't recognise the true me anymore. I don't even know what i want anymore. What happened?

One of my keyboard buttons on my laptop just went off. :( Great!
  • Options
    Someone special will come along. It's sad but true that most young girls only like, the hotties, the cool ones, the bad boys, or whatever.

They don't generally like the smart kids or whatever. Like I said, it's sad but true. Most people can't appreciate good qualities in people until they're a bit older.

Hang in there, you WILL find someone special, just don't go looking for her. She'll find you.
  • Options
    ^_^ wrote:
    Someone special will come along. It's sad but true that most young girls only like, the hotties, the cool ones, the bad boys, or whatever.
    Are you accusing Shyboy of not being a hottie?
  • Options
    Depends what you see as a "hottie".

Nah, I don't know this boy :p I'm sure he's hot as :P But there's SOME reason why narrow-minded 18 year-olds aren't falling at his feet. :p
  • Options
    Hey, at least you aren't an arrogant prick.
  • Options
    Well if I go out to 'those' places where it's easy to pick up anything then thats fine. But I just mean, like friends, like I'd like a girl, or a boy, sober, to want to talk to me about something. Even if its random. I've never had anyone who just wanted to stay up all night talking to me... just cos they liked talking to me heh.

I have deep rooted insecurites :-( but I'm sure with time I can get over them. I was talking to someone at my university last night and they said they think counselling would help me. But I dunno... they're getting paid to talk, I just want someone I can talk to about how beautiful Thailand is at night :cool: cos omg it is beautiful.
  • Options
    personally i like to flirt with people alot because it gives me a kinda power rush and makes me feel loved and attractive which wen makes me happier!
  • Options
    ^_^ wrote:
    Depends what you see as a "hottie".

Nah, I don't know this boy :p I'm sure he's hot as :P But there's SOME reason why narrow-minded 18 year-olds aren't falling at his feet. :p

Being attractive might sure be make things a lot easier getting a girlfriend, but i guarantee you, succeeding with a date is far more difficult to get one (imho and experience). A good personality and looks is the best combination of course, but there's probably more to the problem than just the looks. Personality and being initiative is a great way to start. you can't make any major difference with your looks, unless you are considering plastic surgery of course, which might equally mess you up even more.
  • Options
    Aww i :heart: you little un.
  • Options
    Rich, you know I love you, is that not enough ;o?
  • Options
    Anyone fancy loving me? I find I only find self worth from others approval, and right now that's fairly low (although got a boost earlier when two girls came and brought me hot chocolate in exchange for maths help). I'm not sure why I'm like this, but I end up feeling down if girls don't think I'm 'really cool' or fancy me or whatever.

This isn't a thread pleading for *hugs* or 'aww i think ur cool' or whatever, actually. I just want to know whats wrong with me? Why is it so difficult to be happy on my own? I could be happy being single so long as I got plenty of female attention... but why not just happy being me for a while?

I feel a bit down right now. Much love to you all

Didn't you get loads of attention when you were in Thailand?
  • Options
    Didn't you get loads of attention when you were in Thailand?

They were ladyboys! :no: