Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Morning after pill query

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there... newbie here ... :yippe: :wave:

I need some advice about the morning after pill... seems we've had a bit of bad luck in the last week or so with condoms splitting etc...

anyway, i had to go to the Family Planning Clinic (FPC) last Friday for the MAP... which was fine, it was 26 hours into, which the nurse said was within plenty of time, i know you have up to 72 hours etc...

then the same thinghappened again on Tuesday, and it was quite late, so we couldn't really go anywhere for it, so Wednesday afternoon we went to a different clinic, as we were at my boyfriends house and not mine (he lives in hull, i live in grimsby)... I asked the nurse if it would be effective still with me having taken one on Friday last week... she said that they don't usually give them out more than once within a period cycle... but she said that it would still have a pretty high rate of working?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has every been in this situation?? I'm 'due on' my period tomorrow, but i've not had any signs yet that it's as normal, which i usually have by now ? I'm meant to be having the contraceptive injection tomorrow, which i am cancelling because they said i need to be 'on' to have that too...

Can anyone give me any advice? You can pm me if you want to... I will be very very grateful as i'm worrying myself to death about this now...

THANKYOU! -x-

Comments

• Options
    1: have you changed brand of condoms? are you using them from a batch pack? maybe the whole batch is faulty? you could probably complain if so and get a whole years worth of free condoms etc...sorry random tangent there

I had a friend who took the MAP a lot...and i mean a lot. for example i've been told that you can only take it three times a year, yet she'd maybe had it 3 times in a fortnight. we asked the chinese pharmacist who said that there were no dangerous effects in taking it so often but as it hadn't mean thoroughly documented that it wasn't advisable. TBH i'd rather have a little worry about taking a pill too much than having to deal with an unwanted pregnancy.

Do you have a drop in centre that could give you your first Depo? that would then mean that you could go onto it this period instead of possibly missing it due to no appt.
  • Options
    1: have you changed brand of condoms? are you using them from a batch pack?

Yes, i have always used Durex .. any kind, but was walking through boots the other month and they had a 'buy 2 get 1 box free' offer on so i stupidly bought them... I gave half to my sister, which she hasn't used yet, but i've used mine before, and never had any problems... anyway, we got some free ones from the GUM clinic yesterday and we've been using those no probs
    I had a friend who took the MAP a lot...and i mean a lot. for example i've been told that you can only take it three times a year, yet she'd maybe had it 3 times in a fortnight. we asked the chinese pharmacist who said that there were no dangerous effects in taking it so often but as it hadn't mean thoroughly documented that it wasn't advisable. TBH i'd rather have a little worry about taking a pill too much than having to deal with an unwanted pregnancy.

I have heard of people actually using them a lot... i know you can buy them in advance just incase of these situations, but i just needed to know if there is a huge risk of unwanted pregnancy's... did your friend have a problem with periods etc when she'd taken them? Thats the only thing thats thrown me off at the moment....
    Do you have a drop in centre that could give you your first Depo? that would then mean that you could go onto it this period instead of possibly missing it due to no appt.

The drop in centre we went to yesterday actually said that they couldn't administer it, and the one i went to last week said that they'd prefer me to actually be bleeding than not, due to side affects... i've got to ring up the nurse tomorrow and cancel the appointment, then when i start my cycle to get another appointment
  • Options
    So the ones the split were from the same pack? then write to Durex and complain, the pack could well be faulty, and they may offer you more free condoms :D

As far as i'm aware she had no problems, however they do affect different people in different ways.

And ah good, hopefully that means there won't be a problem getting you an appointment. I've been on the depo for...nearly 5 years now so if you have any questions...
  • Options
    The MAP often throws your cycle out, early or late or just generally screwed, I have a feeling taking it twice in rapid sucession will have a greater effect.
  • Options
    @ Queenmab : yes, they were both from the same pack... think i might write into boots... do you think they need proof :yeees: :hyper:

@Monster : My boyfriend said the same thing about it working more due to taking it twice like that...

The GUM clinic nurse said to wait at least 2 weeks before doing any tests etc... which is gonna be fun waiting lol... but thankyou very much for the advice, it's settled my 'fears' a little now... heh:yippe:
  • Options
    If you want to complain, you're probably better writing to Durex chick, send them one (unused obviously :razz:) condom, or the box for proof, and explain what happened.

The MAP is evil sometimes - it knocked me and my mate about a bit when we've had it in the past, and I'm pretty sure my period was quite late after taking it (it was quite a while ago). :) Don't fret just yet - wont help it come any faster after all :)
  • Options
    uh i had a similar thing the other month, it does mess you cycle up a bit becuase its basically a fat dose of hormone. i was advised that if i was a week late try taking a pregnancy test, just to be sure.
  • Options
    i had to take it last week and the chemist said it might knock my period off abit and it might be quite late.
  • Options
    i've had exactly the same problem with durex, and two split on us in the space of a week so i had to have the MAP twice, both times i was well within the 72 hour deadline. The first time i didn't have any problems, so i don't know if it worked, but with the second one i still got pregnant and had a miscarriage, i doubt this is common though, so i don't think you need to worry too much, since then however, i have gone on the pill and we have changed brands and haven't had any problems :)
  • Options
    thanks for all the advice :) glad i joined this board hehe...

I'm about 3 days late so far, but am having stomach aches, not so much cramps, so will see what comes of it i guess...

I've already got a test anyway (my sister had 1 from when she got pregnant last year) so i've got that just incase, me and my bf spoke (in depth) about consequences etc, so we both know where we stand i hope ... but it's made me less worried about things being able to talk to him so openly about stuff :)

thankyou so much again :D