Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how much "power" does the NUS really have?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've recently become a student councillor, so basicly that means i'm on the colleges NUS board. my problem is that i keep having people coming up to me and asking me if i can sugest different things or sort different matters out for them, and 99% of the time when i go to the student governers or our administrator (who works directly for NUS) i'm told that nothing can be done...

now is this just the no game, or can i actually get anything done...

i haven't put this in student purely because it's not about being a student it's just about the power of the NUS if they have any and what is their "political status" as someone called it earlier...

Comments

• Options
    Nowt, diddly squat from what I gather.

Your local students union has some 'power' (although I'm not sure that's the right word) with your university representing the student body but that's about it.
  • Options
    They have the power to rip off students by charging £10 for a discount card.

Heh, I get discount with my university of york card even though it doesn't say NUS on it anywhere :thumb:

The general feel of it from where I am is that it's a waste of time, the discount card seems to be all the matters.
  • Options
    And I think they're learning that their discount card doesn't matter that much as most Uni's now have their own student card which does fine for most discounts. Hee Hee.
  • Options
    And I think they're learning that their discount card doesn't matter that much as most Uni's now have their own student card which does fine for most discounts. Hee Hee.

Yea, most unis have one with the 'nus' logo on, which people give you a discount if you have. But, if you get a democracy card, which is free, you can still get the discounts. The NUS extra card is a revenue earner, and NUS have admitted that due to 'bad financial planning' i.e. they're in debt. But for god knows how long student discount has been if you're a student so I just show my uni card which doesn't have any reference to the NUS at all and I get the discount anyway.

Best bit was my friend who showed some UCAS thing got a discount as well :D even though it just had her registration information on for UCAS lol. Only £6.60 each for the jorvik museum, I recommend it to anyone. :yes: I talked to this guy about chainmail for about 10 minutes....