Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

arm toning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
anyone know a good but simple excercise for toning my arm muscles? getting married in september and got my dress yesterday, whoo hoo, and i felt great in it but my arms look a bit flabby and i would like to tone them up.
any ideas?
thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    wee wuman wrote:
    anyone know a good but simple excercise for toning my arm muscles? getting married in september and got my dress yesterday, whoo hoo, and i felt great in it but my arms look a bit flabby and i would like to tone them up.
    any ideas?
    thanks

Use a gym if you signed to one.

You can do biscep and triscep curls either with gym equipment or using dumb bells if you have some. These are probably the best things to do
  • Options
    not a memeber of a gym. just get some dumbells in a sports shop and use them at home?
  • Options
    wee wuman wrote:
    any ideas?
    thanks
    I would just join a gym, if not then as you said buy some dumbells.
  • Options
    Joining a gym is probably a better option because in my experience a lot of people give up quite quickly if they try to do excersise at home.
    In the gym you cant always tell yourself 'right, im going to stay for an hour tonight' then stick to it but when at home its easy to think 'well i'll just watch this tv show then i'll do some arm curls' but it never works out that way.
  • Options
    if i do it at home how much would i do?
    like how many reps how many times?
  • Options
    wee wuman wrote:
    if i do it at home how much would i do?
    like how many reps how many times?

Start off doing something like 3 sets of 10 reps... depending on what weights you are using and your current ability. If the weights are lighter you can do more and make the reps quicker. Don't do your reps till failure on the first couple of sets.

Also try some press ups etc...

Here is a link you also may find useful

http://www.changingshape.com/exercise/directory/typeofexercises.asp
  • Options
    thanks very much. shall see if i can get some dumbells today. im not a fitness fanatic just use an excercise bike but like i say its for the big day, see if i can tone up my arms. we shall see, can only give it a try.
    thanks
  • Options
    They have a machine at my gym made especially for women wanting to tone up, its like an excersise bike but for arms. keep your eyes out for one..
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    They have a machine at my gym made especially for women wanting to tone up, its like an excersise bike but for arms. keep your eyes out for one..
    I reconstructs swimming, is that the one? Literally like a breast stroke.
  • Options
    On your bottom step, do tricep dips, 3 sets of 15, every day. Also you can get some light weights and do arm exercises for your bingo wings.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I reconstructs swimming, is that the one? Literally like a breast stroke.
    Its litterally like a bike, 2 'pedals' and the user moves their arms in a 'riding' motion
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Its litterally like a bike, 2 'pedals' and the user moves their arms in a 'riding' motion
    Yeah thats the one.
  • Options
    what are tricep dips?
    got some weights with a excercise chart. did some last night and my arms are not too bad today ache wise. how often should i do it and when should i see a difference. mind i dont want bulky muscles although im sure they would compliment my wedding dress just want toning
    cheers
  • Options
  • Options
    ok im feeling a bit achey today. how many times a week should i do this? dont want to hurt myself. got a bit of a cold too.
    should i do it every day or two days on and a day off or what? any advice?
  • Options
    If you're ill take a break.

For a beginner don't stress yourself, just do them once every 3 days, then as you progress once every 2 days. Making sure you arn't sore, as doing weights 2 days in a row can porve to be worse for you as you are not letting the muscle tissue heal.
  • Options
    ok doke, thanks advice taken. not used to this weights lark.