Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

post interview etiquette

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if someone says they will get back to you, how long would you wait before phoning up to find out if you hadn't got the job? not really sure whether i should or not but i hate waiting.

Comments

• Options
    I think some people will be happy to keep you waiting for upto 2 weeks.

After that i would consider ringing up. I know how it feels waiting to hear about a job, (Im in the same situation). I always tell myself i havent got the job. That way if i dont get the job, I already prepared myself and if i get the job its a great suprise.

Good luck

Cal

:thumb:
  • Options
    I know it's a bit late now, but it's often helpful to pin them down to a time line at the end of the interview - not only does it give you peace of mind but it shows them you are keen and not afraid to show it. In this instance though if they've given you no indication, I wouldn't be afraid to call after 3 to 4 working days - if you phrase it as 'I was just wondering when to expect your feedback', rather than 'tell me tell me now now now' (which I'd be tempted to do!), then even if they don't have an answer for you they can fill you in on when to expect one.

Good luck! :thumb:
  • Options
    ^^^

in most interviewing help guides/books, it says NOT to ask at the end of the interview :confused:
  • Options
    I guess it might depend on the sector but the ones I've seen (e.g. this one which is fantastic), it suggests you should ask for a time line. You're not asking them to give you the job on the spot (although in some situations, such as sales, it might be appropriate), you're just asking when you might hear, or at least what happens next. This gives them a chance to explain about possible second interviews, tests, presentations, start dates etc. I'd say it's pretty important, but it does depend what you're comfortable with.
  • Options
    I've always asked about timescales, in a fairly low key way, and every interviewer has been more than happy to tell me.

But if none has been given, I'd probably give it a week and then ring.